'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Anselmo, scotti, miq2son and 30 others like this.
  2. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Terrific posts, BTF, thanks!

btf1980 likes this.
  3. Levi's Tubs

And then there's Turrentine's Sugar on CTI. :D

Crazysteve likes this.
  4. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

I’m not even a huge Stanley fan but I bought that one just for the cover lol

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well speaking of Mr. Turrentine, I will give my thoughts on the Tone Poet of "That's Where It's At" this weekend for what it's worth. This is a really good record by the way if you have not heard it.

Now that I know it's coming for sure on 8/28, I will give some feedback on it.

MisterBritt and Crazysteve like this.
  6. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Thank you for the backstories on the Blue Note cover art. I knew of the Miles story, but not much about the Blue Note photography.

I feel as most do that the covers are a wonderful snapshot in time and celebrate being a champion for their artists, featured models, and photographers. I've not seen the "shower" picture, so I cannot speak to that cover, but I can't imagine focusing on covers negatively. Unless there is something grossly uncouth (such as the shower pic), the albums and covers are the artist's vision (hopefully).

To the powers that be, please release Lee Morgan Caramba and Donald Byrd Mustang through the Tone Poet series. Preferably, Caramba since I have Mustang, haha.

Levi's Tubs likes this.
  7. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Very cute, happy and intimate picture of a mother with her baby.

8. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

I would kill for an MM/TP treatment on some CTI stuff and especially Stanley's Sugar with Gibraltar on there as well.

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I think CTI catalog is owned by Universal, so maybe possible.

Hopefully we are free from the chains of "audiophile" labels, and we see more and more cases where the owners directly release high quality AAA releases, mastered by the best in the business.

blutiga likes this.
  10. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

There have been some good reissues of CTI stuff. Org Music did Freddie Hubbard's First Light with Chris Bellman and Bernie Grundman involved and I think they did Red Clay too. Pure Pleasure from the U.K did Straight Life. This is just off the top of my head from albums I own. I'm not sure about all titles, but a lot of CTI vinyl is pretty affordable for top condition first presses, including Japanese pressings. It's not like the crazy prices original Blue Notes command.

11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Pure Pleasure reissued some CTI albums — Straight Life, First Light, Sunflower, All Blues, Concierto, Sugar, God Bless The Child. All beautifully and faithfully reproduced.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I get people buying Pure Pleasure reissues of rarities like Strata East titles, but CTI? Really?

I’d rather hear those albums in guaranteed AAA. Most originals aren’t exactly pricey.

SJR and robertawillisjr like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Agreed - the CTI stuff, especially within my market of the greater Chicagoland area, is bountiful and cheap.

14. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

The CTI records are not only cheap. The originals were well pressed and mastered. No much room to improve in my opinion.

15. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

My local record store finally put up for pre-order all the four august titles + additional titles like Herbie Hancock and Duke Pearson. I guess there is no way these are also released in august?

16. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Speakers Corner did some CTI reissues as well and they are very affordable. I’ve got Randy Weston „Blue Moses” and it is done superbly.

MisterBritt likes this.
  17. Mr. November

Mr. November Forum Resident

I own a few CTI first pressings and they indeed sound stellar. Sugar and Joe Farrell Quartet are both exceptionally great sounding records.

Twinsfan007, mcwlod and MisterBritt like this.
  18. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone noted this, but Music Direct has the three September 25 releases for pre-order:

My Point of View - Herbie
    Further Explorations - Horace Silver
    Prayer Meetin’ - Jimmy Smith

RyeB, AllenR, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've got the Speakers Corner "Blue Moses" and agree that it is superb. Admittedly I got on sale for I think about $15 and decided to go for it.

Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure aren't even in the same ballpark for me, however. I personally would not buy anything Pure Pleasure reissued that I could buy for less as an original. Most of the CTI catalog is available by the hundreds all over Discogs. And some of those titles were pressed up numerous times in the seventies so minty copies are not hard to find even if not always a first press.

20. Levi's Tubs

I like CTI records, but I don't know if I like them enough to pay $35 or so. I'm happy to dish out $10-$15 for an original album and I probably could be talked into the TP range of $20-25, but no more than that if the record isn't top tier. Granted, I haven't heard a ton, so my opinion may change as I go along.

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Not easy to find round these parts, no jazz labels are. Yes, it’s easy enough buying originals off of Discogs. I’ve got a couple of Pure Pleasure CTI, Sunflower and one of the Hubbard titles and they are excellent.

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

You guys keep forgetting that the world isn't the USA. It's really hard to find jazz first/early US pressings outside the US. And a copy that maybe could cost $5 in the US will cost €20 in Europe. Plus shipping.

puelche, miq2son, Paul K and 15 others like this.
  23. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

A few would be cool as 2x 45s and maybe remastered to deal with that layer of sheen a lot of CTI releases had.

24. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

ORG Music did Red Clay at 45:

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay

Not sure if they did any other CTIs at 45, though.

LongHairedJazz likes this.
  25. Levi's Tubs

I recently acquired the ORG 45 of Jobim's Stone Flower. It's an excellent release.

LongHairedJazz likes this.