How many bands have reunited with the original members and how was the comeback received? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Television also toured the Verlaine/Lloyd/Smith/Ficca lineup from 2002 until Richard Lloyd left.

I also love the s/t 3rd album.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's interesting that they never seem to last long. They usually have a "Covering our mounting bills and plumping up our bank accounts for as long as we can once again stand each other for financial gain" vibe to them . . . which doesn't mean that no good music/no good shows result, but still . . .

3. zither

zither Forum Resident

Agreed, but one of his projects is particularly special to me. No prize for guessing which one!

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Primus reunited with drummer Tim 'Herb' Alexander for the EP Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People in 2003 (he left the band in 1996) and subsequent Tour de Fromage where they played Sailing The Seas of Cheese (1991).

Fishbone reunited with MOST of the OG lineup in 2018, the holdout being Kendall who is still MIA. His spot was filled by John Bigham who was in the band from 1989-1997. JB has since left and was replaced by Mark Phillips.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Though often perceived as a duo, they had dwindled to one sole member - Andy McCluskey - in the nineties - but the classic four man lineup of Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark reformed in 2007 to tour their 1981 album, Architecture and Morality.

Three very well-received studio albums followed. Drummer Malcolm Holmes retired for health reasons. They have continued to be an excellent live act.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:confused: Patti's been an official member of E Street since she joined in 1984...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Not yet mentioned: The Cars' 2010 reunion.

Didn't last very long, but it produced a surprisingly strong new album and a short tour...

8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I honestly couldn’t believe how good that Slowdive record was. I checked it out reluctantly and it ended up being one of my favorites that year.

9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I saw The Police in 2007 in Toronto from the 10th row. Good show and well received.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

True, I forgot that. He did however provide backing vocals on the album, as Mike Hossack quit as they were about to go on a scheduled tour, before the album was finished, & Keith filled in on tour. Once the tour was over, they went back to the studio & finished the album.

Good catch!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    pool_of_tears likes this.
  11. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

The Stone Roses reunion was big news in the UK and their gigs were well received. Wasn't long before they started despising each other again though, sadly, and we never got a third album.

WithinYourReach and andy obrien like this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

You’re right. My mistake.

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Yes that was the one i thought of - the gigs seem to have been well-received though the film documentary shows the tensions re-surfacing. It became quite clear that it was done for financial reasons - nothing wrong with that of course, if the end result is quality. Anything that gets John Squire back out playing live is a GOOD THING in my book!

WithinYourReach and SteveRes like this.
  14. Oatsdad

:tiphat:

I actually started to wonder if Patti wasn't a formal member of the band back then, but I poked around and didn't see any indication that she was lumped into some alternate "hired hand" category.

I don't think anyone who joined after Patti and Nils in 1984 counts as an official member, though - do they? I don't believe Soozie, Charlie, etc. are considered to be "official members", but I could be totally wrong there...

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Holy Crap, SC looks a little like Ginger Baker in the freeze frame of the Video Clip you posted. Hopefully, a Kinder, Gentler Version of the the Abrasive, Get Off of my Lawn, Cane Assaulting Ginger Baker(RIP).

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

Blur is who I came here to post, as was thinking this Thread was about a New Album, and not just for a Tour(like The Police), and thought ‘The Magic Whip’ was a Good Album.

Also, The Afghan Whigs reunited around the same time, although not the complete original lineup, but their Albums since their reuniting have been really good-IMO.

Suede has put out 2 Great Albums(‘Night Thoughts’ & ‘The Blue Hour’) and 1 Good Album(‘Bloodsports’), since reuniting, although of course without Butler, we can debate if it is a legitimate reunion, but it was the same band(Oakes on Guitar) that they were last seen as before they originally had ended with the underwhelming ‘A New Morning’.

zither likes this.
  17. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Echo and the Bunnymen
    Jesus and Mary Chain

WithinYourReach, ARK, adadad and 2 others like this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

The Psychedelic Furs just released their first Album in about 30 years. Not sure, if all the Original Members are part of the New Album.

Aardvark23 likes this.
  19. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Dio-era Sabbath reuniting as Heaven and Hell. It was even better than the '92 reunion because you didn't have to sit through tired versions of "Iron Man" and "Paranoid." It was truly a celebration of that specific era.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Soundgarden was one of the most valid comebacks ever. Especially after Chris' solo career was a damp squid.

ARK and Spastica like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agneta? Frida?

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yawn.

dirtmert likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, but Echo and the Bunnymen were just Ian and Will(of course the loss of one member was due to death) although, I loved most of their Later 2nd Period Albums, especially ‘Evergreen’. Also love Ian’s Solo Albums.

georgespigott likes this.
  24. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

dirtmert, sons of nothing and JuanTCB like this.
  25. JSUB

JSUB Forum Resident

Only 1 studio album in 25 years since reforming, but Eagles are definitely a successful touring act.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.