Which MONO Albums Are You Currently Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Pick up Blue Note Tone Poet's "Introducing Kenny Burrell" and "Chet Baker Sings" if you want the same level of outstanding jazz in Mono.

"Masterpieces" is stellar.

2. Have you had an occasion to hear our Host's Buddy Holly on vinyl/cd?

Did the UK use the Master Tapes or dubs?

I may need to track down the UK issues if they top our Host's.

3. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I woke up mega early today so listened to the mono Blonde on Blonde at about 5AM this morning.

4. Last evening, Vanilla Fudge s/t MoFi recent release. I think this is the only mono I've played the last 4 or 5 days, but its been played 8-10 times already. Just a magnificent job by MoFi on this one.

5. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

just bought a nice UK copy of Revolver in mono, second pressing from '66... definitely like the harder driving material in mono (Taxman, She Said) but jury's still out on Paul's ballads (not that I think the stereo mixes are perfect)...

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Praising Yorkshire is never off topic! :righton:

7. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

:cheers:

My Dad was from the Dales, my Mum’s a Lancastrian.

I can be, ahem, stubborn......

hodgo likes this.
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

10. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

In that case, we live in a county which has some very scenic & historic places. I love our county town. There have been some very talented people who live/lived here like the Bronte sisters & their brother Branwell as well as Jane McDonald etc. "Last of the Summer Wine" was filmed here as well as "The Railway Children". The liquorice capital of the world is here. You can't have Sunday without roast beef & Yorkshire pudding. I don't like Yorkshire parkin, but Yorkshire ham & Wensleydale cheese are nice. Then there are the aforementioned places & songs.

hodgo and Gasman1003 like this.
  11. HorseyAnn

Both my parents were from Yorkshire but I can be stubborn too. Lol.

12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Kinks box set,
    Dylan- BoB, BIABH, Freewheeling, JWH
    Random charity shop Hank Williams
    Even randomer charity shop Disco Gold compilation over 4 discs that says its stereo but is much better in mono lol. Hearing ABBA, Blondie and Bee Gees songs, not performed by ABBA, Blondie or the bloody Bee Gees is like being at a crap 70s disco again so suppose it hits the spot it was aimed at.

13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

No doubt, I’m sure Lancastrians And Yorkies can be equally stubborn.

Your reference to Parkin made me realise I haven’t had any for years. I love it, my Dad always had it with cheese and I like it that way too, preferably with a big mug of Yorkshire Tea.

Of course there were arguments about whether Lancashire Yorkshire Parkin was better, something the rest of the world will never comprehend.

hodgo likes this.
  14. HorseyAnn

Definitely. What makes me even more stubborn is all the Scots/Irish in me as well as the fact 1 branch of our family were from Lancashire & most of our ancestors moved from Dunoon to Durham during the struggles of Argyll before moving to Yorkshire. My Great-Grandma was from Hamilton & I've got an Irish Aunt.

I hope you manage to get hold of some parkin. I tried it as a girl. Mother used to put custard on it. I don't mind Yorkshire tea but prefer Tetley or P.G. Tips.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  15. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Parkin is the good stuff. Betty’s used to do a good one, but they stopped a few years back - the Bothams of Whitby is a decent alternative. I like it just buttered.

I’ve never bonded with Wensleydale though, I find it terribly bland having grown up in the West Country, where the cheese puts hair on your chest. People up here seem to use it as a desert accompaniment, like a sort of shelf-stable ice cream, rather than like other cheeses.

Other than the obvious Yorkshire puds, I think the Curd Tarts are my favourite regional speciality, or perhaps the forced rhubarb.

We spent our Yorkshire Day picking the first of the wild blackberries out on the stray, then had apple and blackberry crumble for after tea while listening to The White Album from the Beatles Mono box.

Back on topic at the very last! ;)

In other news, this thread has inspired me to ask for the Dylan Mono box for my birthday next month.

16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Ask for this easily available cd to go along with it so you can have Positively 4th Street.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  17. warpedwing

warpedwing Forum Resident

18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have and they sound great.
    I have no idea, but the UK I have sounds FANASTIC!
    If you have any interest in finding out for yourself, yes you should seek it out. It is surprisingly not costly.

hodgo likes this.
  19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Positively is positively a masterpiece. I like the mono BLONDE ON BLONDE too. It seems to fit the atmosphere of the album better for me, at least.
    Bob Johnston is legendary, but I still don't think he get the accolades he deserves when great producers are mentioned.

Man at C&A and hodgo like this.
  20. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

21. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just played Vanilla Fudge (a terrible Sundazed pressing), and Helen Merrill (a pretty good Trip Records '70s pressing).

Gasman1003 likes this.
  23. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Moby Grape’s debut.

24. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

the Prof stoned drop of PSR&T was revelatory for me. It was like a whole new album. I picked up a bargain bin copy a few years ago for a few bucks. VG but Sounds great!

FJFP likes this.
  25. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The Standells Dirty Water