Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. As I recall, it was released in the U.S. I have no idea if it is region locked or not.

2. Great series still even if Nick Searcy is an a hole online.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

In case anyone is wondering what "OOT" means above it is a misprint. I meant OTT (over the top).

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thankfully I can overlook/ignore an actor's political views while watching a show (I did not even know them until I just googled the name above, was not even sure who he was until I did that - he is Raylon's boss)....

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Patty Hewes > Walter White

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What next ?

Looks like Black Mirror.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

El Candidato. New Amazon Prime original series. Pretty awesome Narcos/CIS cartel thriller. I thought this even was better than Zero Zero Zero.

Bruce Racket and alexpop like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Spartacus is often very cheap on Amazon for the complete seasons box set.

9. alexpop

Did see the other day Peaky Blinders season 5, enjoyed .. thought it was the best yet.

cporcp and trumpet sounds like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Game Of Thrones

11. alexpop

Sam Claflin / Peaky Blinders 5, looked a little bit more Freddie Mercury than Moseley.

12. alexpop

Seen BM season 1&2 ( so far ) pretty good I must admit.

13. alexpop

Never watched Malcolm In The Middle real time, but what was the reaction of fans of the show when Bryan Cranston did Breaking Bad a couple of years later ?

14. alexpop

Well I must admit I’ve seen Black Mirror seasons 1-4, brilliant I must say.
    S5 not available on dvd yet.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I had not heard of it & looked it up. Looks good but am not interested because I much prefer full episode/season story arcs these days. Sounds like that show is all standalone different shows, compared to the Twilight Zone.

Am looking to get into another series soon. Am finishing up what I think is the last season of Dark now (German mindbending time travel circular drama - "the beginning is the end, the end is the beginning" mantra - with very complicated backstories/characters). Quite intense/astonishing. Incredible developments & revelations of the characters with not only the timetravel stuff but also another element added this season which I can't mention lest someone watch it after reading this. Not for people who want easily digestible drama. This show has been the hardest thing I have ever watched to understand what is going on, who is who, make sense of what is what & when, but the payoff has been mindblowing. Am glad this is the last season because my brain can't take another one. After the episode I just saw I don't know how they can top that (had to watch it 3 times to catch all the exquisite ironies), and there is still much to answer, but I don't see how it would be possible to wrap it all up with the next few episodes left. Am expecting to be disappointed.

IanL and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Yeah a sorta dystopian Outer Limits meets The Twilight Zone .. but some episodes are long quasi movie length. My favourite episode was the Star Trek spoof, with a twist ( season 4). Dark Is on my viewing list.

17. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I loved ZeroZeroZero so I'm all in on this show. First I've heard of it. It'll be the next series I watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

If that's an original series Star Trek spoof (Kirk/Spock) instead of the myriad spinoffs then I have to see it!

Be forewarned that Dark is a very hard series to watch, not ez one eye on the TV while eating poprcorn viewing. Each episode requires multiple viewings to take it all in (at least for me). Is not only very complicated (and keeps shifting gears with timezones etc) but has very many central characters to keep track of, all unknown actors to me, hard to keep straight (especially with seeing them as kids, teens, grownup, old people, played by different actors, and in different settings/timezones), is in German with subtitles (making it hard to focus on the visuals), then add to that that many things (or characters) are not even what they seem to be once you think you have figured them out (the ones who seem to know what is going on quite often LIE to the others and to us viewers). The extra twist in this third season really pissed me off at first, like it wasn't hard enough to follow already yet they made it twice as complicated (or squared or beyond). I'm loving it though, is written/acted/directed very well and delivers a lot of kicks & subtle thrills. There are still many things I don't even understand yet.....only 3 episodes to go for me. Then I guess I will head over to wikipedia, imdb, discussion forums, and try to pick up/understand things I probably missed!

Next series I watch I just want ez to follow plotlines, crime stories, etc, like The Shield/Wire/Justified/Dexter/Sopranos etc!

Thx again to the poster earlier who recommended the Western one season series Godless. That was super!

(Edit; Just realized I ended every paragraph above with a "!". Pretty funny.)

19. alexpop

Black Mirror (S4)
    USS Callister:
    Has to be seen to believed. Sheer genius.

cporcp and slipkid like this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool thanks!

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

:cool::righton:

22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Riptide

23. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Have you seen Fargo? Each season is different story arc. It's on hulu.

MothMonsterMan, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I loved the first 2 seasons but the last one not so much. I recently rewatched S3 btw (picked up the DVD set finally). Although it had some good parts overall I didn't like near as much as the previous 2 seasons. They really went overboard on the spiritual part I thought (the God? character played by "Laura Palmer's father"), also the corporate raider guy just annoyed me more & more as the plot on that went on. Worst of all was the letdown I felt with what happened to Nikki. Loved how she fought through everything thrown at her, hooked up with the "drums" guy from S1, how they laid a big beatdown on the raider guy & his minions, but what happened to her just seemed so contrived to elicit the audience to feel letdown/not like her anymore. I woulda been OK with Emmit shooting her in head in that highway scene (well not OK because I was really rooting for her by that point) but what went down with what she did to the state trooper seemed designed to just make us hate her after all. Boo. Hiss. Anyways, the 2nd season of Fargo is my fave and might be my favorite single season of TV. Looking fwd to S4....

alexpop likes this.
  25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Bosch (Amazon Prime) is top notch. Six seasons, all great.

IanL and Ted Bell like this.