What Are Your Top Five Christmas Albums From The Golden Age (1950's to the 1960's) ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RSteven, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

This Jack Jones' version of "Joy To The World" is taken from the 1968 Radio Shack Special Collector's Edition:

Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
  2. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

I would like to get a set of those Firestone compilations collected. They are very common but finding nice copies (preferably in shrink) is a little tougher. Estate sales are always a good bet for finding 1960s easy listening!

Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, just an outstanding vocal and stupendous orchestral and choral arrangement. Man, I wish we could get these hidden gems added to Jack's RCA Christmas album for a reissue on CD. Do we know the arranger on Joy To The World? Outstanding. Thanks for posting this gem, Pierino.

Pierino likes this.
  4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I don't have access to our local store with the dollar bins but when they were 2/$1,lots of tire company LPs were making babies on a regular basis. Thing is,I don't recall any Goodyears or Firestones in shrink.

MrSka57 likes this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The 1969 Jack Jones Christmas album (the yellow RCA one) is available as a download from HDtracks and probably other providers as well. I’m giving it a “spin” now for some Christmas in July... it’s very nice.

Lewisboogie, Pierino and RSteven like this.
  6. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

RSteven mentioned "O Holy Night" as a highlight on the album, and I agree. Jack's versions of "Silver Bells" and "Christmas Is" are among the better versions of those two songs, too.

dualstacker, Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
  7. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I totally agree, all three are among the best renditions of those songs. "Christmas Is" should be on regular rotation during the holidays. Jack's easy-going sincerity never falters. Even on a track like "Little Altar Boy" (not one of my favorite Christmas songs) which is given a dated arrangement here -- Jack just breezes through it.

Pierino, dualstacker and RSteven like this.
  8. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I apologize for beating the proverbial dead horse, but I assembled a Jack Jones Christmas compilation, and I humbly submit the idea to Real Gone Music.

Jack Jones - The Christmas Collection

01 Sleigh Ride
    02 White Christmas
    03 The Village Of St. Bernadette
    04 My Favorite Things
    05 I'll Be Home For Christmas
    06 Angels We Have Heard On High/Silent Night/O Come All Ye Faithful
    07 Do You Hear What I Hear
    08 Lullaby For Christmas Eve
    09 The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
    10 Mistletoe And Holly (Oh By Gosh, By Golly)
    11 The Christmas Waltz
    12 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/It Came Upon A Midnight Clear/The First Noel

13 This Is That Time Of Year (with Firestone Chorus)
    14 Hark The Herald Angels Sing (with Roberta Peters & Firestone Chorus)
    15 Christmas Is Coming/We Wish You A Merry Christmas (with Roberta Peters, Vienna Boys Choir & Firestone Chorus)

16 Joy To The World (1968 Radio Shack Collector's Edition)

17 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    18 Some Children See Him
    19 Little Altar Boy
    20 O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    21 Christmas Is
    22 Christmas Day
    23 O Happy Day
    24 Silver Bells
    25 Jingle Bells
    26 O Holy Night

Length - 78:07

[​IMG]

9. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

For a Christmas music fanatic I completely missed the boat on Jack Jones until this thread. That '64 release is sensational. Puts me right in the mood. I know it's OOP for now but thanks again to our wonderful friends at RGM for all you are doing. Felix also now on order. (Crossing my fingers for another print on the Andy Williams' set as well. Another miss on my part!! How did I not know Andy Williams released two(!) perfect Christmas albums). It's 95 in the shade here in TX but let it snow!!!

Pierino and RSteven like this.
  10. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

The Phil Spector Christmas album has always been my go-to - I don't even even second or third favourites after that. Been interesting checking out this thread for new ideas... will definitely try out some others this year!

RSteven likes this.
  11. RSteven

No need for apologies Pierino as you have a very meritorious idea for a Jack Jones Christmas compilation.

I plan to pass on the enthusiasm I am seeing regarding Jack Jones to the higher ups at Real Gone Music. He truly made some outstanding holiday music over several different record labels. It would be great to get some of his unreleased gems out on a brand new CD, although I doubt anything could happen before next year.

I also really appreciate the support for the Felix Slatkin Seasons Greetings CD as it was a real labor of love by all involved in the project. I just could not be happier with the remastering aa well as the fantastic liner notes by Felix's son, Maestro Leonard Slatkin.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    noirbar, Pierino and ggjjr like this.
  12. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Thanks gang for this great thread. Re: Andy Williams, er, should have said two(!) perfect '60s Christmas albums. (Love Christmas Present ('74) as well). And confirmed, Felix on the way!

RSteven likes this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Third cover, actually. There are two variations on the tree cover.

14. ShockControl

Does the CD reissue credit an arranger?

15. RSteven

What a great question, my friend. Yes indeed, much to even my surprise, Maestro Leonard Slatkin, Felix's eldest son, addressed that question head on and describes in detail the murky history on that issue. He even mentions that there was litigation over the issue that was ultimately settled out of court. Without giving away the whole story ( I want you to read it for yourself in the stupendous liner notes), Leonard's own best guess is that his father Felix "sketched out the arrangements and arranger Alan Shulman finished them." I think we can honestly say that it was a joint effort from two very gifted arrangers. The result of their collaboration is just breathtakingly beautiful to my ears.

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My parents bought both every year and none were ever shrink-wrapped.

RSteven likes this.
  17. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

A Charlie Brown Chistmas- Vince Guaraldi Trio

I have the CD and it is excellent. Christmas Is Coming is an especially good instrumental track.

Simon A and RSteven like this.
  18. ShockControl

Thanks. I ask in part because one of my all-time favorite space-age bachelor pad albums is Felix Slatkin's Fantastic Percussion, also on Liberty. The arrangements on that are by the great Bob Thompson, who also did three excellent space-age albums under his own name for RCA. None of these have made it to CD, to my knowledge, although some tracks from the Slatkin made it to Capitol's Ultra Lounge series, and some Bob Thompson tracks made it to RCA's Space Age Pop series.

RSteven likes this.
  19. RSteven

Maestro Slatkin mentions in the liners that his father did eleven albums for Liberty and he hopes that "Someday, these will also be reissued and given the care and love that has gone into making this release of Seasons Greetings.

ShockControl and Simon A like this.
  20. ShockControl

Good to know.

When you have a chance, check out a little bit of Fantastic Percussion. I imagine the furniture showroom where the Jetsons shopped.

RSteven likes this.
  21. RSteven

Having grown up as a kid in the 60's and watching the Jetsons' cartoon a whole lot, I can identify with that image. The album is a hoot too. I love the versatility of this seriously gifted violinist with strong classical roots, putting all these great percussionists together for this great sounding take on space-age pop. Just terrific and thanks for posting it. I would love to see something like this reissued on CD someday, but not sure about the sales potential given the dwindling CD market, but I would sure buy a copy for myself.

ShockControl likes this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Since this has become sort of the unofficial "suggest albums to Real Gone" thread, I'll toss out a favorite of mine: Christmas Carousel by Peggy Lee. This one is ripe for reissue... the 1990 CD has been OOP for a long time, and (to put it charitably) it sounds like crap anyway. Even better would be a Complete Christmas Collection by Peggy, though I lack the expertise to compile a complete list of what should be on that in the manner @Pierino did for Jeff Jones.

Pierino, RSteven and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. Out of print, that Real Gone Jack Jones CD practically doesn't exist for sale. There's one copy available for $175 on eBay with no listings on Discogs. Very hard to find in any condition.

ggjjr, noirbar and RSteven like this.
  24. RSteven

I am a fan of this album as well. I have the old CD and your are correct, it is in great need of a sonic upgrade to say the least. Peggy Lee and Billy May were just a fantastic combination. Some fans of the album are not crazy about some of the songs featuring the children's choir, but that is a small gripe in my opinion. Peggy wrote a few great originals for this album, including the awesome title cut. I also just noted that one of the violinists credited on the song is no less than Felix Slatkin. Well that just brought a big smile to my face. Check out the whimsical and delightful string arrangement by Billy May on Christmas Carousel below.

dualstacker and czeskleba like this.
  25. RSteven

Here is my brand new top ten list of my very favorite holiday albums from the Golden Age Of Christmas. I know the original thread title said only five, but I broke that rule on my very first post, Lol.

1) Merry Christams 1958 - Johnny Mathis
    2) Music Of Christmas 1959 - Percy Faith
    3) Hallelujah 1958 - Percy Faith
    4) A Christmas Sound Spectacular 1959 - John Klein
    5) Christmas Carols 1958 - Mantovani
    6) The Christmas Song 1963 - Nat King Cole
    7) Seasons Greetings 1961 - Felix Slatkin
    8) The Jack Jones Christmas Album 1964
    9) The John Gary Christmas Album 1963
    10) Elvis' Christmas Album 1957 - Elvis Presley

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
Thread Status: