Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...awesome! :cool::thumbsup: Let us know how you like it?

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...nice! Good times ahead. :agree::thumbsup: Please share as you go.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Gary Burton and Carla Bley together are a happy artistic union.

I own this gem:

[​IMG]

4. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

5. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

An opportunity too tempting and so I purchase at about € 15 this double cd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I really like his first 5 (Joe Farrell Quartet, Outback, Moon Germs, Penny Arcade, Upon This Rock); then I think there's a dip with Canned Funk, but he finished strong on CTI with Benson & Farrell.

I think Freddie Hubbard hit his peak with CTI. Some others like Airto, Hubert Laws, George Benson, and Ron Carter (as a leader) probably did, as well. And then many more had career highlights with the label. There are at least 60 albums on CTI that have held up quite well.

7. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I've been listening to this every day, this week. People who like '70s Brazilian jazz fusion really should check it out.

-Sphinx- likes this.
  8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Leon Parker - Above and Below
    [​IMG]

This was sure an interesting album. Here we have a drum led album, but without any songs featuring some mad skin virtuoso going ape on a full kit. Leon Parker plays a minimalist kit and still manages to great a great groove and/or mood depending on the song. The music is strangely compelling given its apparent relative simplicity and even without all the trappings of a killer kit, the music never lacks for intensity. It is also unlike anything else without being indigestibly far out. This is an interesting artist with something to say to those who would listen.

9. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...took a Zappa detour after Out To Lunch!.

NP:

Jackie McLean ‎–
    One Step Beyond

[​IMG]

Label:
    Blue Note ‎– CDP 7 46821 2, Blue Note ‎– CDP 0777 7 46821 2 1
    Series:
    Blue Note Collector's Choice
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Repress
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on March 1, 1963. This CD was made by transferring the one step analog master to digital.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good call. I thought of him after I posted that comment.

NP Miles - Relaxin’ (Prestige) SACD

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I really like that album a lot. Played the hell out of it when it came out. That was back around the time he was playing with Jacky Terrasson or maybe right after he left the trio. I saw a show in San Francisco where he opened for Max Roach. Both played solo shows. Leon’s kit was a bass drum, snare and a cymbal and he did amazing things with those three pieces.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I discovered that album through Music Matters too. I bought it on a whim thinking that if Joe reissued it I should not look away. I was pleasantly surprised and I ended up buying several other Melle albums after that.

13. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...jumpin’ to some Miles. Gonna go mono for a bit. First up-

Sketches of Spain (1960)

[​IMG]

...from this set.

The Original Mono Recordings

[​IMG]
    Label:
    Columbia ‎– 88883 75664 2, Legacy ‎– 88883 75664 2
    Format:
    9 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
    Box Set
    US
    Released:

14. Fischman

Such a great set. Black, Brown & Beige is a fantastic suite.... one of my all time favorites.
    Wish the sound quality was a little better.

Jazzmonkie and dennis the menace like this.
  15. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

@Beatnik_Daddyo'73
    Hey Mr Daddyo, How do you like sound of the mono set compared to say RVG editions? I saw it at Barnes and Noble on sale but passed it up.
    Hope all is well on your end in CA

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  16. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

My copy of Cookin' is the 1983 US LP edition:
    Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJC-128, Prestige ‎– P-7094
    with the yellow Prestige labels. It's the George Horn mastering and I've never had any reason to not like the sound of it.... Can't remember where I got mine (a used record store in the UK or US, to narrow it down!), but there's a few of this repress for sale on Discogs at not crazy prices.

Starwanderer and davidpoole like this.
  17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...thank you my friend. All is well, family is healthy, steady employment, good music and some free time. I can’t complain. I learned long ago that my ears don’t like RVG remasters. On the bright and harsh side IMO. This mono set sounds great to me. I’ve returned to it often.

...hope this time finds you and yours, and all here, happy and healthy. :cheers:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

IMHO, Stanley's run on Blue Note is far longer and stronger than at CTI where he certainly had some success and deservedly so. But still Joe Farrell is the only one I can think of where his CTI work is truly head & shoulders the core of his catalog.

Fischman likes this.
  19. Fischman

Herb Geller - The Herb Geller Quartet
    [​IMG]

Herb Geller came up on one of my jazz stations and I wondered why I hadn't heard much about him. It seems his settling in Europe for so long has caused him to suffer some loss of exposure stateside. In any case, I'm glad he came my way. While he was a fixture in the L.A. jazz scene as early as the 1950s, I saw references to him having improved right up through the 90s, so I tapped into this highly regarded album from 1993. What a joy! This is mostly straight ahead bop and mainstream jazz that would feel at home in the late 50s, it's clean, fresh, well delivered, and a pleasure to sit with. The compositions, an even mix of originals and generally lesser known standards, are all solid and Geller makes good use of them in his soloing. Drummer Louis Bellison swings a groove, pianist Tom Rainier vamps nicely and makes wonderful line choices when soloing, and bassist John Leitham is solid throughout, also grabbing a nice, occasional solo, especially on the opening "The Red Door." Geller's attempt at vocals (on "Stand Up Cominc," a tribute to Lenny Bruce) leave a bit to be desired, but that's not enough to diminish the positives that pervade the rest of the album. The first three cuts and the penultimate "Soon" are particularly enjoyable.

20. BlueIsland

BlueIsland Forum Resident

Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

[​IMG]

Listening to the 2019 Impulse Vital Vinyl Lp

Mingus is some kind of Genius

21. BlueIsland

BlueIsland Forum Resident

Larry Young Mother Ship - 2003 Blue Note CD

[​IMG]

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jacky Terrasson (Blue Note) 1995 cd
    With the previously mentioned Leon Parker on drums and Ugonna Okegwo on bass. I really like the drum pattern Leon comes up with for I Love Paris. It gives a modern touch to the song without going overboard and it fits in well with Jacky’s amazing piano playing. This was the first U.S. release for the trio though they had a previous Japan only release that is also really terrific. I so enjoyed that drumming on I Love Paris that I gave the music to my drum teacher at the time and he wrote it out for me so I could learn it. :cool:

23. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Looking to add to my Shelly Manne titles including the Manne-Hole albums. There is the old OJC Vol. 1 & 2 discs and the more recent "Complete Live at the Manne-Hole" disc from the label American Jazz Classics. Does anyone know which is the better option from a sound quality standpoint between these? Perhaps the more recent one is a grey market rip of the old OJC discs for all I know. I also have my eye on the four disc set "Complete Live at the Black Hawk" on the Essential Jazz Classics label. How is the sound on that one?

24. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father
    [​IMG]
    I have an early 90s pressing of this, which isn't perhaps the crispest sounding ever, but isn't bad at all...
    Some classic Horace started me off this morning while I got into repainting the living room. Followed by...

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit
    [​IMG]
    What do folks here think of Gregory Porter?
    Is he even jazz? He's jazz-y, that's for sure... and mainstream as you like. But, man, that voice is unbelievable. He's the real deal as far as I'm concerned. He calls to mind Bill Withers and Nat King Cole and when he sings I want to listen.
    Sometimes I wish the arrangements were a little more adventurous, but that's not his thing. There's as much easy listening/vocal music on this album as there is jazz, but what the hell, I think it's a great listen!

And the UK vinyl pressing on Blue Note sounds great - rich, warm, quiet and dynamic.

25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Purchased not purchase...