Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Baby is a nice, sweet song. Not outstanding, but this is his first album. I guess he really took his time to record the vocals, since it has been done so clean and decently. This was one of the first songs written for the album and part of the demo tape he made to contact record companies.

I will only rate below 3 if I don’t like the song, so this is a 3 out of 5 for me.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I can't really contribute to this thread yet as I don't have the debut album (it is one of just a few that's still missing in my collection). So many of these songs I'm hearing for the first time. I have to say that upon first listen Baby sounds quite a bit like the generic R&B stuff Prince was churning out in the mid-Nineties.

Anyway, just something completely random, but I did have a pleasant surprise yesterday afternoon when I turned on the radio in my car and Soft And Wet was playing on one of the big radio stations here. That's not a song you hear that often on the radio.

3. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

"Baby" is distinctly lightweight by Prince's standards, sweet enough with great vocals, but instantly forgettable. I do, however, prefer it to the generic disco songs on this album.

3/5

Piiijiii and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

‘Baby’ is ok, but not a Song I would ever need to hear again,. I would rate it as 2 out of 5, and that is being generous as would use a 1 rating only if I disliked a Song.

I really do not care for most Ballads by Prince, with the exception of the most excellent’The Morning Papers’, and think that ‘Sometimes It Snows In April’ is better than the average Prince Ballad. Although, like for Bootsy Collins, I skip the Ballads when playing the CDs of the Albums(well in Bootsy’s Case, I just wanna FUNK).

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

'xcuse me ? :eek:

I'll remind you when we get to The Gold Experience :agree:

6. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Please do. Because when I listened to Baby again today I thought that the section around 1:15-1:20 sounded a bit like I Hate U (or rather, the other way round of course). :) Though I have to say that for generic R&B stuff Emancipation and onwards is a better example.

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

Whatever :unhunh:

8. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Baby

This is a pleasant enough song, nothing outstanding but interesting lyrics.

2.8/5

-George

9. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

And they just don't do a thing for me. 1/5.

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I dont care for Baby either

1/5

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Baby"

1-2
    2-6
    3-8
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 2.3235

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "My Love Is Forever", with music written by Prince and lyric written by an uncredited Chris Moon and Prince.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/29QOYtxStXGuGmACR2R6rJ?si=t-LrHHimSkepMumVueWkOA
    LYRIC.
    "My Love is Forever" was released as a B-side to "I Wanna Be Your Lover" in most territories in August 1979.

"Love is Forever", was one of Prince's first recordings, made in 1976, featuring a lyric completely written by Chris Moon; another version was recorded in 1977 before Prince had a recording contract.

13. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

Side 2 really does just continue to disappoint, huh? Of all the disco tracks, "My Love Is Forever," while not totally unpleasant, is definitely the lamest lol. Just very, very bland (something I will probably not say again about Prince's output for many years). However, the performance is good; I like the synth lead tone and Prince gives another sweet vocal performance.

2.5/5

14. footprintsinthesand

My Love Is Forever
    If I co-wrote those lyrics I'd prefer to remain uncredited too :agree:
    Still not the weakest track, with some guitar solos. Music style and production is really consistent, sweet and overpolished.
    2.2/5

sunspot42, ziggytvs and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

The lyric is pretty lame, I agree. I quite like the song; it's got a lot of catchy melodic hooks all through it, whether it's the loungey synth flutes at the beginning or the guitar solo near the end. Yes, there's something antiseptic about Prince's loungey, disco-ey choices, but the music wins me over: not that it's brilliant, but it's catchy and pleasant.

2.8/5.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

I have always rather enjoyed My Love Is Forever, at least musically.
    It’s a solidly constructed song, with a couple of unexpected chord changes and his first real guitar solo (my favorite aspect of his many talents). It could have been a minor hit.
    Nothing groundbreaking, although maybe at the time it was startling that the sweet voiced falsetto singer was also playing such an accomplished guitar bit, but very pleasant to listen to.
    3.5/ 5

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Another track that sounds like Raydio

2.5/5

sunspot42, thekid87 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Again, this is a good song. Nice and happy, but in no way outstanding. And... this song has two good guitar solos :cool:. Just As Long As We’re Together has the first one on this album, but I like these ones more.

For me, this is a 3 out of 5. A solid 3 points this time.

19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Indeed, it does sound like Ray Parker Jr.’s Raydio.
    70s disco :), nothing wrong with that and pretty soon Prince considered it old news and took it a huge step up:goodie:

Lluvia Morada likes this.
  20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True. Some of these 2's are brutal perhaps because we know what's yet to come

21. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep, I think I will give a lot of 4’s and 5’s pretty soon :winkgrin:. I’m guess I’m going to give a 5+ for the absolute essential classics...:shrug:

Freek999 likes this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Surprised how anemic the "For You" tracks have fared on Spotify, only two have crossed the million listen mark

For You - 618,421
    In Love - 664,618
    Soft And Wet - 6,301,418
    Crazy You - 657,428
    Just As Long As We're Together - 630,011
    Baby - 482,637
    My Love Is Forever - 457,782
    So Blue - 2,352,203
    I'm Yours - 438,119

No surprise "Soft And Wet" is the biggest track on here, but I am surprised "So Blue" seems to have so many listens compared to the rest.

The MEZ and ziggytvs like this.
  23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"My Love Is Forever"

Pleasant enough - seems catchy as I'm listening but then is hard to recall for me.

The guitar is the highlight - someone's been listening to Steely Dan.

24. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

My Love Is Forever 3/5
    A good song, nothing special but a welcome guitar solo.

Lluvia Morada likes this.
  25. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Again, relatively generic disco funk, but with some nice instrument breaks on occasion, which for me elevates it above some of the other generic fluff on the album. Like I'm sure many others here, these songs would probably get higher ratings from me if his later stuff wasn't so stellar in comparison. 2.7 from me.