Solo Beatles songs that would be considered among their best if released by The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Legendary British DJ Annie Nightingale, who knew the Fabs well, chose Instant Karma to represent J, P, G and R output when she appeared on Desert Island Discs recently, apologising to P, G and R in the process. Seemed an odd choice to me, to go for this one. Never a huge fan myself, partly because of what I perceive to be a plodding drum sound.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  2. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Yet another Beatles thread that has been done to death many times before. Looks like originality in the Beatles camp is long dead... shame.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

:sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating::sweating:

;)

4. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I agree with 5 of them, Mind Games being the odd man out. I don't think it would be anything great in the Beatles catalogue. John's Jealous Guy and Working Class Hero would be better options than it.

cyril sneer and Hermes like this.
  5. belardd

belardd Senior Member

Back Seat of My Car
    Woman
    All Things Must Pass
    It Don't Come Easy

jricc and theMess like this.
  6. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Dominoes
    Your Love is Forever
    Stuck Inside a Cloud
    Handle With Care
    Summer’s Day Song
    One of these Days
    Woman
    Sing the Changes

So many more...

51IS, Eska68, theMess and 2 others like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It would have been the best post-Beatle-break-up Beatle song and top 5 all-time Beatle song, but not the only solo-Beatle song worthy of being a post-break-up-Beatle song :sigh:.

maccafan, theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

#9 Dream
    Dear Boy

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Like your post, I suppose..

10. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

You’re right. Mind Games was a stretch. The other five would fit comfortably among Beatles’ greats.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  11. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Beware of Darkness
    It Don’t Come Easy
    Maybe I’m Amazed
    Souvenir
    Instant Karma
    Love
    Imagine
    Jealous Guy
    Gimme Some Truth
    Oh My Love
    Jealous Guy
    #9 Dream
    My Sweet Lord
    What is Life
    All Things Must Pass
    No More Lonely Nights

Danny Coffin, gja586, lou and 2 others like this.
  12. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Warm and Beautiful

51IS, Chance, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  13. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Jealous Guy
    My Love
    Photograph
    My Sweet Lord

theMess likes this.
  14. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I realised my typo but thought it would provide some hilarity. :D

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...oh, c'mon!

abzach, Vinyl_Blues, Vic_1957 and 5 others like this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Imagine the Beatles opening a concert with Venus & Mars/Rock Show??? My sweet lord, that would be awesome. It don't come easy!

maccafan, theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Allow me to try and put some perspective on this:hide:.....We have to remember that not each and every BEATLES song was categorically "great" either. Most were good to excellent, some *were* truly "great for all time* and we could also put together a list (albeit a pretty short one) of ones that would have to be categorized "ok" to "fair". While I agree that a very small percentage of post-Beatle tracks can be truly called "great" I think there are quite a few excellent ones that would fare quite well on "Beatle" albums (falling into the "good to excellent" group....more than just Maybe I'm Amazed (although I agree, it would fall into the "great" category with ease). What we have to remember is that many of the great Beatle songs, were indeed great due to their time period of having been recorded and the music going on around them. While some songs are timeless, others aren't.

51IS, gja586, J Alesait and 4 others like this.
  18. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Lennon's One Day at a Time would've been massive, he would be told to pitch his voice down a bit, Paul's harmonies instead of Yoko's, the saxaphone...

51IS and Ryan Lux like this.
  19. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

"Maybe I'm Amazed"
    "It Don't Come Easy"
    "What is Life"
    "Wah Wah"
    "Beware of Darkness"
    "Jealous Guy"
    "Let it Down"
    "Coming Up"
    "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)"
    "Let Me Roll It"
    "Live and Let Die"
    "Junior's Farm"
    "Crackerbox Palace" (it would've been a hit that many would dislike, much like "Yellow Submarine")

In MY opinion, of course.

Personally, I don't know if "My Sweet Lord" would've worked as a Beatles song. Same for "Imagine", "Instant Karma", "Power to the People", "God", etc.

20. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

This seems like kind of a trick question because there are solo songs which could've been massive with input from the other Beatles but didn't have quite the same impact without them, and there are solo songs which are brilliant on their own but may have lost something in The Beatles.

21. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I don't think it's Yoko on background vocals, vocal group Something Different was listed.

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

The five best songs from Band On the Run are as good as the five Paul sang tunes from Revolver

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I kinda sorta maybe know what ya mean...
    But here's what I truly believe : had ' Maybe I'm Amazed ' been released as a single it would have been a huge Number # 1 smash.
    At about that same time ' The Long and Winding Road ' was released as a single and it got to #1.
    ' Maybe I'm Amazed ' would have trounced it. And then Paul would have been competing against himself which he probably would have enjoyed.

24. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Fair enough, but you just know a Beatles song when you hear it, and the majority of the songs mentioned from Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass are very personal songs that more than likely never get made as a Beatles product. Instant Karma, God, My Sweet Lord, these were just not Beatle-like themes. A great love song is a great love song. Maybe I'm Amazed is a great love song.

25. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Agreed, and I would have loved to have hear George and John's harmonies instead of Paul and Linda's, the version on McCartney is just so unfinished. Live version of Maybe I'm Amazed is stellar, though. That's the winner of the Greatest Beatles Solo Song Performed Live thread if/when that happens.