Considering KEF R3s, QUAD S-5s, Wharfedale Lintons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steven Henry, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had the Sierra 2EX and loved them. If you don't like them (highly unlikely) send them back.

Steven Henry likes this.
  2. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Music Direct has the QUAD Z-3 for that price on close-out, and it's supposed to be a step up.
    It's such a beautiful speaker that it's really been tempting me, but I have a house full..

ETA: Aww crap seems they've sold out. Maybe on the pre-owned market one day..

3. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I hope I'm not too OT here, but... where do ELAC bookshelf reference fit into this scenario? They were first being reviewed as the "new miracle" but very few people talk about them now. Is it just because the competition got tougher or were they simply a false alarm?

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

At the price range you are considering I advise considering the Evo 4.4 floorstanders providing you have a medium to large room. These IMO compete with other speakers up to £3 -4K. Spend some money on a good amp and these pay dividends for a relatively low cost.

Archguy and Steven Henry like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Have you considered pre-owned? There are some great bargains out there if you have the patience. Sometimes dealers sell near-mint demos or consignments for over 50% off.

I think the factory-direct brands like CSS and Ascend are generally a better value, but if you're willing to buy pre-owned that opens up a lot of options. For example, I purchased a pair of near-mint Epos M22is for less than $650. These were $2500 speakers circa 2008 and probably would retail for $4K if sold new today. Objectively, speakers really haven't advanced that much over the last couple decades. There are some 30-year-old speaker models that I would much rather own over many of the latest designs.

bever70 and Steven Henry like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

since your room is 15 x 25 feet with high ceilings, a small two way stand mount is going to have trouble filling that volume with any sort of dynamics or impact. this depends on your listening preferences.

7. Steven Henry

Steven Henry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, Helom. Yes I’m open to used, and it’s interesting to get your take on the advancement of speaker technology. I’ve wondered if there’s a sort of general tipping after which speakers haven’t been improving so much as iterating.

8. Steven Henry

Yes I’ve thought about that. I think you’re right about room-filling sound, although I’m hearing that the Lintons might be able to approach this. My experience with a larger room and smaller bookshelf speakers has been that up-close listening can still be good - although further away they mumble and the bass dissipates.

Then again, if I’m that far away it’s probably background for washing the dishes or something, haha.

timind likes this.
  9. Steven Henry

For some reason I’m not crazy about the EVO series’ looks, but I keep hearing a solid bang-for-buck argument that’s hard to ignore. Thanks for the input!

10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

No, I just found that in case you haven't seen them. I have heard the bigger model briefly and they sounded very good and balanced.

Steven Henry likes this.
  11. Classicrock

The walnut looks good, can't stand white. Look very unobtrusive with grills on.

Steven Henry and Archguy like this.
  12. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

If you could put it off and save a bit more the KEF R5's would sound very nice in your room. I have a pair (running tube TT pre, Mac C28, PrimaLuna Prologue Four) and they have full bass, sweet highs and mids. Not trying to spend your money for ya but it has been said and I agree, two way speakers on stands will need to work harder to fill your room. Just my .02

Steven Henry likes this.
  13. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

FWIW, with the judicious application of a subwoofer I've achieved 'room-filling sound' with standmounts.

In fact ATM it's the combo I'm preferring. Though I tend to like almost everything I try.

Steven Henry and bluesaddict like this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Kef R3 is an interesting speaker --- packing a 3 way design and 30 lbs into a bookshelf sized box. And a box it is, no extra design / manufacture budget left for any rounding of the edges for aesthetics --- here's your wood box with sharp corners and all. WhatHiFi loves them though.... they're a speaker I've come back to a number of times in my current bookshelf under $2500 quest. Hard to ignore.

What I like about them on paper is the reputed ability to get down on the low end, and deliver room filling sound and not peter out at higher volumes.

In the same league in price / quality and capability on the low end / performance - Monitor Audio Gold 100 5g, Revel Performa M106, ATC SCM 11, Ascend Sierra 2EX, just to name a few.

I wouldn't be doing my part if I didn't offer choices not on your list! :)

adamos, Steven Henry and bluesaddict like this.
  15. Classicrock

People copied them? Sounds like the current versions are underwhelming unless you match with much pricier components.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  16. Steven Henry

Thanks, much appreciated. I’m already looking hard at the Sierra 2EX based on recommendations in this thread. My only hesitation there is a slight concern I have about the RAAL ribbon tweeter’s narrow sweet spot. Or so I’ve read. I’m not sure if that’s the tendency with ribbon tweeters in general, or if it’s perhaps more pronounced in the RAAL.

17. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Well, I must say that I paired them with a Cambridge CXA60 and they sound pretty good to me. Maybe my ears are just not good enough

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

Steven Henry likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

psb x2t - Bing video

Steven Henry and Ivand like this.
  20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

from your list, the Linton no doubt. they are the only one in the list that could possibly fill your big room.
    Like Helom said, at 1300$ USD, the Seas A26 kit would be also a excellent choice.

Im not a fan of KEF

Steven Henry likes this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Philomarnic BMR is well known and revered-

Steven Henry likes this.
  22. Steven Henry

A big thanks to all of you contributing to this thread so far. Very informative and helpful, much appreciated!

Any thoughts on Spendor A5s or the Buchardt S400s?

FYI, if I go the bookshelf route I will likely be pairing with a sub.

23. Steven Henry

Interesting... these get 5 stars at WHF even though they criticize the treble, transparency, and fit/finish... apparently because the overall sound is lively and entertaining.

For the most part I’m not a neutral/clinical sound type guy. I’ll admit it, there are a lot of albums I like to sweeten with a little EQ (that said, I have some vinyl - like my cherished Music Matters Maiden Voyage pressing - that sound perfectly beautiful flat).

I digress. Thanks for calling these out, seems like a lot of “entertaining” speaker for a great price.

24. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Revel M105 / M106 can have room filling sound for a bookshelf. In some circles, they review exceptionally well.

ATC SCM 11 has a lot of converts too.... although there are a lot for resale that don't move quickly, so maybe a supply / demand bubble. Which also means you may be able to get a great deal used.

The sleeper that doesn't get much attention in the US is the MA Gold 100 5G. Intriguing, the 4G had a ribbon tweeter too, but the 5g used the MFD tweeter from the vaunted and higher end Platinum line. Interesting. Note these are tough to drive though --- 4 ohm, dipping as low as 2.8 ohm and 86db sensitivity. More ooomph? There's an MA Gold 200 too...

NOTE: I have heard many bookshelf speakers - but none of those just mentioned. I also have a new thread here on bookshelf, and just offering some of what I have learned.

One thing for certain - there are many, many nice choices in the sub $2000 category for bookshelf / standmount. So many I can't make up my mind yet and it's a tough choice. Seems like my short list keeps getting longer and no longer short.

Good luck.

Steven Henry likes this.
  25. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

your listening space is 15x25. no way spendor A5 or S400 can fill that space at good spl.
    Linton or Seas a26 would be my choice. or something like klipsch heresy.
    for a space like yours, you want at least a 8 inch woofer for bass. ideally bigger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.