Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Bruckner: Symphony 9. v Karajan, Berlin Phil. UK DG Accolade

Joining in on the v Karajan Bruckner. Newly acquired UK Accolade pressing. with different cover from original.

[​IMG]

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Presto has raised their shipping price by a dollar or so, but delivery time to the US seems about the same. I don't know what's going on with the German postal system, but I have tried to order LPs from two German Discogs sellers, and both said they couldn't ship to the US at the moment. Has anyone else encountered shipping difficulties from German to the US?

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Unfortunately for me, I always had problems with shipping from Germany. It was either taking too long or the packages were becoming lost before they arrived. Or badly damaged. I had these issues with Amazon Germany, JPC, and individual sellers via eBay. Surprisingly, I never had any issues with any other European countries.
    I am suspecting that the reason the specific discogs sellers do not ship to US at the moment has something to do with the Covid19 outbreak? AlthoughI cannot see why this is the case.

4. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have had good experiences ordering from France lately and the shipments arrived quickly. My experience ordering from Dutton Vocalion in the UK is that the shipments are delayed several weeks vs. what it was like before the pandemic. My experiences ordering from Japan have also been great but I have been warned to always use DHL or Fedex when ordering from Japan (advice that I have heeded), otherwise shipments can take months.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, they both attributed it to the virus, but they didn't elaborate. It's not as if an LP is going to get sick by coming to the US! Before the pandemic, I had no problems with orders from Germany.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

:D :D
    seriously, I think it is very puzzling. Makes no sense.

7. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Yes, I have had no luck getting anything shipped to me from Germany since February. I thought I was OK with a box set from JPC back in March when I got a shipping notification and tracking number but I got a successful delivery notice two days later but no box. Checking the tracking, I saw that it went to DHL then right back to JPC with no explanation. JPC refunded me immediately so I was good, but I had to order that box set from another vendor. Other German sellers I’ve tried won’t ship to the US at all right now.

I have received every order I placed from the UK but some were delayed Up to 3 months. What I do now with my Presto orders is batch them up until I have an order worth several hundred dollars and order all at once. I then choose FedEx 2nd day delivery. I have gotten every shipment within two days and in perfect condition since I started doing that. Yes, shipping This way usually runs $25+ per order but since these are large orders the percentage is lower and it’s worth it for the peace of mind!

bluemooze likes this.
  8. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Brahms - Violin Concert
    Szeryng, Violin - London Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteaux

[​IMG]

This is one of the two LPs I bought yesteday in the disc shop where the majority of my discs come from.

peter1, layman, canzld and 6 others like this.
  9. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I first heard about him, years before I started listening to Classical in earnest, from a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) documentary on him that was rebroadcast on PBS.

canzld likes this.
  10. cartologist

I was just reading about this composer/conductor, in connection with his 1970 recording of Satie’s Embryons Desséchés with someone reading his “notes” aloud over the movements.
    Apparently Satie hated the idea (the audience was supposed to read them from the program as the pieces were performed); since Satie had died 45 years before, he didn’t complain about it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    canzld and royzak2000 like this.
  11. cartologist

[​IMG]

Bruckner No. 5 with Staatskapelle Dresden.

canzld, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hope to be able to play the blue-ray disc through my main system, which only has redbook CDP. That does not need to happen tomorrow. I went for many years without being able to play some single-layered Sony and DG SACD's until I had purchased my universal player ...

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the Jochum EMI Icon box and it is nice to see EMI instead of WarnerMusic on the box. I also have the 2 Complete Bruckner Symphonies boxes shown below ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and StarThrower62 like this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Seigfried Palm.
    [​IMG]

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Martinu string quartets

[​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Fantastic playing and sound.

[​IMG]

Here's a sample of their artistry:

canzld and bluemooze like this.
  17. cartologist

The Staatskapelle Dresden recordings are in the complete EMI recordings box as well as the green box you have.

18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Stereo LP in a mono sleeve. Recorded 3/60, 10/61 & 11/61, Kingsway Hall, London. Producer: Walter Legge. Engineer: Douglas Larter. Issued 1962. I have these on EMI CDs from the late 80s.

canzld, Mr Bass and bluemooze like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    In 1964 Walter Legge, who had created the Philharmonia & produced most of its recordings for EMI, abruptly announced that he was disbanding the orchestra. The players decided otherwise and, with the support of Klemperer & other conductors, continued under the New Philharmonia name until they regained the right to the original name in 1977. This 1967 LP was recorded 2/10-12 & 15/66, Abbey Road Studio No. 1, London. Producer: Peter Andry. Engineer: Robert Gooch.

canzld, bluemooze, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  20. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

A recent ebay purchase. It seems that maestro Dorati, producer Harold Lawrence, and principal percussionist James Holland had some fun figuring out what Satie meant by a couple of the required instruments; two called for water involvement. The list included, snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, tam-tam, tambourine, woodblocks, small drum, lottery wheel, xylophone, triangle, sirens ( high- and low-pitched ), revolver, flaques sonores, and bouteillophone. An author of a book on Satie said, "Flaques sonores! (Pause) Probably one of Satie's jokes." Lawrence's note on the recording can be found here: journalofrecordedmusic8.html
    [​IMG]

layman, canzld, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  21. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

You are on a roll today!

royzak2000 likes this.
  22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

23. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I really need to check out Martinu’s quartets.

CMT likes this.
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Check out his 2nd piano quintet too. It's a great piece!

TonyACT and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Passion selon saint Jean" performed by Les Chantres de la Sainte-Chapelle led by Antoine Sicot on Ligia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld likes this.