Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

You'll have to wait for London Town.

2. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Of course! (The 1977 release date fits). THANKS!

Well I can look forward to most awesome Mull of Kintyre on that deluxe vinyl release too then!
    I have it on a Wings Greatest lp, but it will be nice to have these b-sides mostly all together like on the other deluxe 2nd lps. Red Rose Speedway's 2nd lp is literally PACKED with them!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    MPLRecords likes this.
  3. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

[​IMG]Flaming pie 1997 Collection

4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Social distancing and health protocols: I had a non-music package from California, and the company had to apologize that – due to the new health protocols – they were running at a reduced number of employees stretched to three smaller shifts than one larger one… and less people in the main office to answer emails/etc because the office couldn't be functionally shifted to accommodate the new protocols as wanted. The closure due to covid put them behind, and there is the constant worry about needing to shut down soon again because the governors/mayors are not following the graduated suggestions put out earlier. I suspect the same thing is happening at some of these music retailers as well.

For those that ordered from MusicVaultz, please understand that – under Canadian health protocols – the postal service are running at roughly half staff and, in some cases, all packages need to sit 24 hours between handlings just in case (depends on the depot). Things will be slower, and this is the new normal. The packages, though, are coming.

5. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Checking in.....Super Deluxe Flaming Bank Account Somebody Help Me Collector’s Edition has just landed. No. 1461. This thing is huge!!!

6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Singes-wise, London Town should have "Mull of Kintyre," "Girls School" and "B-Side to Seaside" while Back to the Egg has "Goodnight Tonight" in both 7" and long versions, and "Daytime Nightime Suffering."
    That would make the only b-side released between 1970 and 1982 missing from the Archive series "Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reggae."
    (The reason I stop at 1982 is that the 12" single for "Say Say Say" is left ignored for Pipes Of Peace beyond "Ode To A Koala Bear.")

Lewisboogie and Sargon like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I just played the remastered CD and skimmed the hires download of the same. As others have said, the cd is less compressed than the original, and the download is even less compressed.

Off the top of my head I think this may be the first archive release that improves upon my previous best-sounding version of the album proper. For most the DCC is still my favorite, and I prefer the originals of TOW and POP.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

DocShipe, supermd, dmh84 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Don’t let @Sargon know where you live!

Wingsfan2012, omikron and Sargon like this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ferndale, MI>Perrysburg, OH>Beacon, NY> ?

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Hello Rob ! Thank you so much, that’s incredibly kind of you. I can’t lie, it hasn’t been the easiest or best year, but that’s true for so many people. Thankfully I now have the time to come onto the forum again and the timing couldn’t have been better considering this amazing release.

Thank you for thinking of me, I really appreciate that and I’m so glad to be back !

11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

uh oh not another V&M situation? I’m gonna pretend I didn’t see this.

Not legitimately.
    If there’s one previous release I’d wish for this size box for, it would be RAM.

Its mentioned in the book, but Paul seems to struggle to remember much about it!

Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
  12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that. It more or less confirms my suspicion that the b-sides were not newly mastered as they were unpleasantly louder and more brick walled compared to the album and bonus cuts.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

So obviously, Cello in Ruins was a very forgettable track

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is that in reference to the “HELP” album single that was scrapped ?

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Most likely. Like every other ‘legendary’ outtake, most of it stays in the vault for a reason.

16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ah but what a title! From that perspective I think it fits with Standing Stone better...

maccawings likes this.
  17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Dude, that collection is simply AWESOME! So authentic and replete! LEGIT. LEGIT. LEGIT.

YOUR collection is the original, with everything anyone could ever want including a couple of things here I never heard of. You don't need another thing!
    Yes, the companies tempt me to believe I need to buy this stuff all over again in it's new very tasty formats. If you get the new stuff - it's just gravy for you!

BTW. . . . just where do you live? :drool:

glewes likes this.
  18. You may already know this, but this is all I could find;

Song facts
    “Cello In The Ruins” is song recorded by Paul McCartney during the Flaming Pie sessions, which is still unreleased (officially and unofficially).

One song recorded during the Flaming Pie sessions that went unissued was apparently almost issued as a one-off single for ‘War child,’ the charity that assisted in assembling the Help album in 1995. Other than the title, Cello In The Ruins, precious little additional information exists regarding the track save for its copyright registration date of October 23, 1995.

From Eight Arms To Hold You – The Solo Beatles Compendium, Chip Madinger and Mark Easter October
    Cello in the Ruins, was planned at one stage as a single for War Child’s The Help Album in 1995, but shelved.

From Jeff Lynne: Electric Light Orchestra – Before and After, by John Van der

Wingsfan2012, omikron and theMess like this.
  19. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

Thanks Sargon, there's one thing I forgot to add to that lot, the promo cd of FP. Did you notice the Zippo? I only bought the 3 LP box and 2 CD this time.

BTW I'm thousands of miles away in the SE of England, 40 miles from where the Young Boy video was shot!

glewes likes this.
  20. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I'm a bit confused, what's the personnel on Whole Life (Rough Mix)?

21. Whole Life (Flaming Pie 2020 release version)

Also very little on this, but one book I have says it was started with Dave Stewart in May 95 at Macca’s studio and in November 95, they added dubs at Stewart’s studio in London. It was then “ignored” for eight years.

Yorick, supermd, Lewisboogie and 5 others like this.
  22. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

The song title sounds interesting, but the track itself is probably not finished and nowhere as good as the big surprise „Whole Life“, which consists of several hooks that don‘t let go since yesterday...

23. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I sure DID notice that Zippo! I found myself scrambling on the internet to locate one and failed. Very pricy too. Was wondering what new things you bought for your collection "seasoning".
    Gosh, you Great Britain dwellers live smack dab in the middle of all that I love about this stuff! VERY jealous! (One man's home is another's dream vacation). Oh the places I would visit!

You probably have also already been to Abbey Road-Saville Row 3, Penny Lane, Liverpool, etc., many times over. I have a large cotton Union Jack on my wall. - about as close as I'm gonna get! And of course, so much history and beauty over there. I'd love to see Ireland too.

"Thousands of miles away from me . . eh?" Tell Jack that I guess you are SAFE then . . . for now. ;):D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    marklamb, omikron and Troyh like this.
  24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Very nice, but no Flaming Pie Neon?

25. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I don't have the zippo, magazines or the beautiful night promo but I have all these rest of it. I have to snag me that beautiful night one day

Sargon likes this.