Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Well you most likely won't be able to play a bluray on a standard CD player if that's a different device than the universal player you mention - but a universal player should handle it? :cool:

2. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Something strange just happened....

Just got
    [​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Concerto-Son...KONZERTHAUSORCHESTER/dp/B07PNK9XF4/ref=sr_1_2

BTW - Excellent - however, that is not what I want to comment on. Dropped it in to my Oppo - now, I configured the box to prefer the Stereo SACD layer when playing a hybrid SACD. So - dropped the disc, selected the input for the digital output of the player. NOTHING. Weird. Almost started a debugging process, assuming something in my chain broke down. Then I saw the indicators on the Oppo... yup SACD ! :D Switched to the input for the analog output of the player - INDEED - no issues, it is a hybrid SACD!

- There is no indication in the packaging that it is a SACD

- If you can see the listing, there is no indication that it is a SACD. Same for the Presto listing

Karl Weigl: Cello Concerto & Cello Sonata

- Nor there is any indication in the review

WEIGL (1881-1949) Cello Concerto; Cello Sonata CPO 555 189-2 [SG] Classical Music Reviews: May 2019 - MusicWeb-International

Just as I was about to tell myself that maybe I got lucky and got a rarity - maybe an early version of the disc, but after that, the company decided to put it out only on CD... or something along those lines... when I found the discogs entry

Karl Weigl, Raphael Wallfisch, York* ∙ Edward Rushton, Konzerthausorchester Berlin, Nicholas Milton - Cello Concerto ∙ Cello Sonata

A comment indicates - " as per the runout, it SEEMS to be a SACD" - weird right? it is or it is not... unless the person making the entry does not own a SACD capable player...

Thinking that SACD is not as prevalent as I thought in the classical world - I am thinking more people should have noticed... internet search, unless I am searching wrong, yields no results on the matter... bummer - I am pretty happy that SACD is still a thing in the classical world...

v

Luisboa, bluemooze, canzld and 2 others like this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Enjoyable, but, I was thinking as I was listening to this that they don't really grab me the way the Bartók quartets do.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  4. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: A little schmalz. An undated, but probably 70s reissue of mono recordings, the Lalo transferred from 78s. I think they are late 1940s recordings, as the first reissue I can find is from 1951.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Dan C, Luisboa, Daedalus and 6 others like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My universal player is more than a half-dozen year old but I shall find out if it works since blue ray is like the latest hi-res format that hit the market ...

TonyACT likes this.
  7. coopmv

:edthumbs:

bluemooze likes this.
  8. coopmv

I have around 3 dozens of CPO recordings with quite a few SACD's among them and they are all conspicuously marked ...

9. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Well, I finally had a chance yesterday to listen to this new (to me) recording of the Mahler 2. It was decidedly not unpleasant. I think I was able to even enjoy many parts of it. I very much like the sound in the Mormon Tabernacle, where this and the other Abravanel Mahler symphonies all were recorded. It may be as much something about the other recording I have (Bernstein) that has always turned me off.

On a cross-country trip years ago (San Francisco to Ohio), I made a detour to Salt Lake City to make a pilgrimage to the Tabernacle. I went not for religious reasons but because of the fame of the place as a recording venue. It's not much to look at--sort of a rundown hockey rink with seats and wooden, faux-marble columns in it--but it sounds great. There were "guides" in the place from all over the world, all young Mormons, many from all over the world, all doing missionary work, it seems. A young, doe-eyed girl, from Brazil I think it was, approached me, eager to tell me about Mormonism. She was a bit surprised when I told her I had come solely because of the music made in the building.

[​IMG]

Luisboa, mBen989, broos and 4 others like this.
  10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Interesting. A secret SACD!

TonyACT likes this.
  11. coopmv

I am pretty sure this is just a redbook CD as I just checked a few of my CPO SACD's and they all have the most familiar SACD logo on the back panels ...

[​IMG]

Luisboa and bluemooze like this.
  12. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I have this record in my collection, I believe i played it once , it was more than enough!

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

She could have been one your wives!

CMT likes this.
  14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It seems to be one of the best Brilliant boxes about - even has Emma Kirkby on a disc of songs and cantatas :agree:

HowardLive likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:edthumbs:

TonyACT likes this.
  16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

The definition of "universal" continues to change.

TonyACT likes this.
  17. coopmv

It was a good choice of name. As some believe the universe is constantly expanding, so too is the available list of playback formats ... ;)

Runicen, CMT, Mr Bass and 1 other person like this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I hadn't thought of that. A missed opportunity!

canzld and vanhooserd like this.
  19. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Listening to
    [​IMG]

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Issued in 1978; I couldn't find the date & venue. Producer: Suvi Raj Grubb. Paul Vavasseur. Grubb (1917-99) was an Indian who immigrated to London in 1953 & became an assistant to Walter Legge before producing many recordings himself.

CMT, Luisboa, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Did you listen to that on Qobuz? If so, try this one and see which you prefer.

[​IMG]

sherrill50 and bluemooze like this.
  23. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

On CD. But I will try and find the second one

24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Thrift shop purchase just now - $2.

Luisboa, mBen989, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Fratres" performed by Maria Bachmann (violin) and Jon Klibonoff (piano) on Catalyst.

Sonata For Violin And Piano – John Corigliano
    Fratres – Arvo Pärt
    Sonata For Violin And Piano – Paul Moravec
    Toccata-Scherzo – Albert Glinsky
    Praise To The Immortality Of Jesus (From The Quartet For The End Of Time) – Olivier Messiaen

Credits
    Notes
    Sonata For Violin And Piano and Toccata-Scherzo are world-premiere recordings of two works written specifically for Maria Bachmann.

Total Time: 68:39

Recorded 23rd, 24th & 26th March 1993 in BMG Studio A, New York City

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luisboa, canzld, Daedalus and 2 others like this.