Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Ahh, but do you have the polo shirt?

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is there a fault on one of the songs or is it just on the 2 CD release, anyone confirm please? I’m close to ordering a few things and would be good to know if there’s one to avoid.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Last night sampled the EPK parts of the second DVD following on from the home demos. Tonight has been the remastered album, the first quarter of the book and the In The Studio CD.

The album sounded excellent to my ears. Really nice. Listened to it in a different room to my usual listening environment and perhaps therefore it sounded very fresh. Great!

Read the first part of the book which includes contributions from Steve Miller. Some nice bacground information and anecdotes that I had not previously been aware of. These books always seem to offer a very nice accompaniment to the listening experience. The musical contents this time seem well curated and presented. Having a great time absorbing all of the elements.

I know that I have been critical of the high cost of this set, and that remains, but full marks for putting together a feast of well chosen slices of pie. It is a most enjoyable meal and the table still has plenty of dishes to sample.

Think I may conclude the evening with the first DVD, In The World Tonight.

4. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

Like the idea of the Union flag Sargon. Yes been to Liverpool etc. You should try and go. I remember one time standing in Soho square in London at dusk. All the lights were on in the MPL offices and you could see all the gold discs etc. hanging on the walls.
    Didn't find a neon sign macawings!

Sargon and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. Martin de Dios

Martin de Dios Forum Resident

Which book?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Just did an opening salvo in the car while picking up dinner.

Song We Were Singing: Ha! Never realized he was double-tracked in parts.

The World Tonight: Piano seem quieter to anyone?

If You Wanna: I seem to be liking this song more now. I love the open electric strum rhythm guitar.

Somedays: I can hear details in George Martin's arrangement more. Particularly some of the flute and oboe flourishes.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  7. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

The Collectors Edition is the most amazingly beautiful release I have ever seen. I am so glad I found a way to get this thing as it exceeds my wildest expectations. Even my wife who would not talk to me for a week after she found out I ordered it is in awe of it and said it really is beautiful I am glad you got it! So a happy ending indeed!

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Glad you are enjoying it!!!!! You drop that much dinero, you deserve to be happy in the end!

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

The book that comes in the box with information on the tracks

10. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

theMess and marklamb like this.
  11. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Mine shipped on the 30th and has been scheduled for Monday delivery but randomly showed up this afternoon! Pleasant surprise as the tracking wasn't even showing out for delivery.

vinylbeat likes this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Listened to most of it last night. The home demo stuff with Paul and a guitar are exquisite and very intimate. Beautiful stuff, a treasure.

Drewzel, Yorick, Bemagnus and 4 others like this.
  13. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I do and it still fits ( sort of )

Troyh likes this.
  14. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Got most everything today from Amazon in good shape too! (stress buster!) - as expected for new releases, (huge boxes on my doorstep) - records, deluxe sets, cd, and some "other" toys.
    But my Collector's editions are coming on the 6th and the other half of my deluxe lps are coming from Acoustic Sounds (as I'm in the process of transitioning toward them).

Already got my two deluxe archive boxes "fitted" in their correct size Sleevie-Wonder "pajammies", (they hardly "fussed!"), and they are now "resting" on their respective opened/unopened shelves with their archive edition "brethren".:hugs:

(It may be too soon to tell, but I really think they like it here!) One thing for certain, I sure like them! :love:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    susyredstripe, ccbarr and marklamb like this.
  15. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Is that Flaming Pie promo CD worth anything? I picked it up nearly 20 years ago off ebay, thought I was just getting a used copy of the regular CD, but in the case was a promo CD. Never thought much about it I guess.

16. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Congrats! Enjoy the music, it is wonderful!

Sargon likes this.
  17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Thanks so much @ccbarr! Yes, I need to make time now to crack these open, and start enjoying the "toys" and the awesome music. Really hopeful about the stellar sound quality I've been reading about. Normally, I put little faith in anything thats not 99% analog in it's history, but I've been really impressed with the sound of these archive lps. Great reports from here so far!

Really hoping that "sound" error IS actually a guitar string pull as @dmh84 is reporting (below). As a guitar player myself, that wouldn't surprise me, but I still need to take a first listen.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Something about that sentence can easily be misinterpreted by a warped mind like mine..... :hide:

19. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Scheduled Monday delivery for Deluxe and 3LP vinyl and Bobbie Gentry. Gonna be a late night.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  20. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Listened to disc one of the three record set (going to save the box for Monday)...and it sounds the best it has sounded on record (thanks to spreading it over two albums). So far very pleased. Love this record...

RubenH, Eska68, Troyh and 1 other person like this.
  21. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Do we have dedicated 'sound' topic/thread yet.
    Man, we are loving this pressing.
    Can't wait to share!

22. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

There are two possibilities I can think of when it comes to this track…
    1. It's more instrumental than vocal, and may be better served on a collection of oddities (like Daumier's Law and 1995's "Stella May Day") than on one of these Archive editions, or
    2. It's a demo that is interesting enough to warrant either returning to one day (a la the way "Frank Sinatra's Party" did) or putting on a collection of studio outtakes later on.
    Either way, its absence can be made up for later on and will likely explain why it isn't on Flaming Pie when it is released.

The "Come Together" recording's absence is interesting, though, as Paul identified that as one of the songs he was pressing for a return of copyright for when the most recent settlement happened.
    I am wondering if its absence is due to the fact that it's connected to a charity — in much the same way that, say, the Kampuchea material is — and therefore the charity controls the material.
    It's the only non-live release, other than "Ballad of the Skeletons," to notably feature McCartney between 1995 and 1998 that isn't part of the other albums.

23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yeah, after I posted, that possibility crossed my mind but I decided to Let It Be

marklamb likes this.
  24. zapple

zapple My Yellow Submarine

And we have Collector’s Edition: #1445

Ordered from Paul’s website. Shipped to GA.. Arrived this morning.

25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I suspect that #1 is more plausible considering it was almost used on some charity release, which would mean it was close to complete. Then again, if it was, Paul seems to have completely forgotten it! That doesn’t seem likely at all.

The Ballad of the Skeletons is one I’m actually quite surprised WAS included in the set - and seems to have occupied a somewhat prominent spot in the Collectors Edition.

I wonder if this wasn’t our only opportunity to get a Standing Stone release. It’s featured in the World Tonight documentary and the Mill CD spends a lot of time talking about it and the tech he used to write it.

Then again, given the size of the set, it would have been way too much content...but I’ve always seen these two works as connected.