Movies Made Adapted From Stephen King Books

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished The Mist, horrible
    f'd up ending, HATE IT

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

There have been some clunker movies based on Stephen Kings books, novellas and short stories, but the worst of them all has to be Maximum Overdrive. Yikes! (The Mangler was pretty bad too. However, the short story gave me the creeps for days.)

The best adaptations so far in my opinion are Carrie (the original), The Shining (The Kubrick film), The Mist (I love the ending), Salem's Lot, The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, It (the recent version - part 1), The Dead Zone, and Needful Things.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

[QUOTE="DPM, post: 24580797, member: 10177") the worst of them all has to be Maximum Overdrive. Yikes! [/QUOTE]
    Horrible movie

DPM likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Horrible movie[/QUOTE]

Steve blames the coke
    :laugh:

DPM and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Horrible movie[/QUOTE]
    A horrible movie that could have been a great movie. I wonder if they knew it was bad while making it.

6. Wildest cat from montana

A horrible movie that could have been a great movie. I wonder if they knew it was bad while making it.[/QUOTE]
    How could they not ? Someone upthread says King blamed it all on cocaine but that's not an excuse.

7. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

Maximum Overdrive is so bad it's good!
    Everytime I watch it and that waitress freaks out amd says "we made youuuu!!" I bust out laughing.
    Yeardley Smith (Lisa Simpson) is pretty funny as well.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  8. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Never understood why King hated Kubrick's take on The Shining. The SK remake with Rob Lowe was abysmal.

9. Wildest cat from montana

The only remake I'm aware of was a made-for-tv one on the late 90s. No Rob Lowe there.
    Or are you thinking of the made--for-tv version of ' The Stand '? Lowe was in that. Not too good but watchable.

SteveRes likes this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Because Kubrick made 'His' version of 'The Shining' and not what Stephen King had actually written. King has pointed out that the Jack Torrance Character, as he had written it in the Novel, had evolved from Normal into Cray Cray over time, and with Kubrick's Movie, the Torrance Character looked Cray Cray from the start, which did not help by casting Jack Nicholson in that role, who looked Cray Cray already(and had played a Cray Cray person in a prior Movie-'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest). King had other criticisms of what Kubrick did to his Book when making the Movie, that I am sure you can find with a Google Search. If I wrote that Book then saw Kubrick's Movie, I would have also been as upset as King about such a change on how the Major Character was portrayed in the Movie.

I think Kubrick's Movie is fine and even good as a Horror Movie itself, but I do not judge it as a Movie that accurately portrays Stephen King's Vision. This is why King had the Movie remade(for TV-IIRC).

11. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Senile decrepitude, I got my Shining mixed up with the Salem's Lot remake. But yep, that TV remake of Shining was laughable.

12. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I haven't read the Shining book for decades, makes sense now. Shame the remake was so poor.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’m still waiting for the new version of The Stand.
    The cast looks interesting, some winners, some not so sure.
    Much of it filmed here in town, they shut down Highway 17A for a couple of nights and the house that Abigail lived in is about 2 minutes away.
    Hope it lives up to expectations

14. Wildest cat from montana

Let's keep our fingers crossed on this .The potential is there but we'll have to wait and see.
    Amber Heard as Naomi Cross. Yes !
    Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail . Uh...

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.