Looking for new pre-amp - is the Schiit Mani still the one to beat?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

After four years of good use it seems my Mani has run into some issues and is not working properly so will be looking for a new pre-amp.

Before I buy another pre-amp I wanted to check - is the Mani still the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!

Nubben

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You're having issues with the Mani and you want another one.:confused:

jeff

NormB, Dave, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  3. Nubben

I like the sound of it but am open to suggestions.

if you have any it would be greatly appreciated.

4. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Dude, are you serious?

bluemooze and Rolltide like this.
  5. Nubben

Sorry why the aggro?

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Can it be repaired?

7. Nubben

Hi ssmith3046, many thanks for your reply, at least someone who doesn't feel they have to pour sarcasm or snobbery in their replies.

Probably cost prohibitive to repair. I am looking for a similarly priced pre-amp to fit in my modest system - for the record, it does NOT have to be a Schiit Mani.

Do you have any suggestions?

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have to agree with the guy. It's kind of pathetic that a simple solid state phono stage died after four years. Something like that should last forever. The idea that you'd even consider buying another one is baffling. Note I don't think he intended his tone to be hostile, he was just taken aback as I was. There are lots of good options in that space and you'll get many great suggestions, but I'd cross the Mani off your list.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Do you have a budget? As a former Mani owner I now regard it as overhyped.

WvL likes this.
  10. Nubben

Hi patient_ot, many thanks. My budget I would say is $350 something like that. I have a very modest set-up compared to others on this forum so I am looking for value for money that's why the Mani was my choice initially after heaving read a lot of good reviews about it. It was also my first ever pre-amp.

As per my signature below I have a PLX-1000 with an Ortofon Black so something that would suit that perhaps. I am looking to upgrade to a Technics SL-1200GR soon as well.

With what did you replace the Mani?

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Mani owner here. Not currently using mine, but I love the sound. It did pick up some RF that could be heard in the background between songs. If I needed to replace it now, I would try a Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono or the current Lounge Audio. With your system a $300 phono stage would be worth it.

bluemooze, IRG and Parkertown like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

In the $150 category, the Mani is tough to beat. There are a few with an axe to grind that will find something wrong with it, and act as if its a fatal flaw, but nothing is perfect and it's a $150 phono pre. Don't expect it to compete with $1000 models. I still own one (it's in a box currently) and have no problem recommending them for someone on a sub-$200 budget.

Of course from $150 to the $350 you stated there are tons of choice. Right now there is a Vincent Pho 8 for $150 in the Classifieds. I owned one a couple years back, not bad, but once I got the Lounge LCR Mkiii back the Pho 8 went.

Between $150 and $350 there's a Hagerman Bugle 2, Cambridge 651p, 640 and CP2, Mofi Studiophono and the Lounge LCR Mkiii without the Silver upgrade and many, many more.

If it were me, and I had $350 to spend, I'd save another $100 and get the Lounge MKiii w/ Silver and call it a day. Note I listen with my ears, and not a machine. Also, I've heard and compard many in this class to the Lounge, and the Lounge always comes out on top. But don't believe me, search this forum, there are many who will attest to this.

Dignan2000, SirMarc and bluemooze like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

For a phono preamp I really recommend home audition, especially with a cart like the 2M Black which is very high output per bench tests. Basically don't buy anything you can't return with no questions asked.

At that price point you could probably swing something like a Rega Fono MM, or one of the recently discontinued and discounted Musical Fidelity models, or maybe a Cambridge Solo/Duo. This isn't an endorsement, I am only mentioning them because they are popular and near your price point.

When I got rid of the Mani, I moved to the MOFI Studio Phono. Later I moved to the Graham Slee Reflex M + PSU-1, which is what I'm using now.

If you really like the Mani you could just buy another one. My main gripe was the Mani was very hissy and noisy and then RFI eventually became an issue.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. vinylkid58

I was going to suggest entry level Graham Slee, as you're in the UK. Seems to get good reviews, but no personal exp.

jeff

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Audition is available through the home loan program. No purchase obligation.

Dignan2000 and bluemooze like this.
  16. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

17. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Sorry I just looked at your location. Many of these may not fit due to shipping. The Vista still fits as does the Slee products. Both excellent units. The Slee with the home audition is worth trying.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

My experience with Graham Slee entry level models is the they were flat, thin, uninviting. Just not musical. I've heard they "measure" well though. Not so much when using my ears though.

Plus many have "loaner" program - it's called the 30 or 60 day satisfaction guarantee many shops offer. Plus you get to try a NEW phono pre, and not a used, who-knows-what-condition and who used / abused it before you with the GS loaner. I've seen negative feedback on this GS "loaner" program.

Personal opinion is the OP would be better off getting a Mani then going this route. YMMV.

19. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I personally like my Project Tubebox DS. Some will yell foul since it uses a tube buffer stage, but I have no shame. I think the previous models can be had within your budget if you hunt around. It has a decent amount of loading and gain options and a low noise floor, what more can I ask for without spending considerably more money.

Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  20. vinylkid58

Well that doesn't sound very promising.

jeff

21. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I think the topology of the Tube Box DS and DS2 is more like JFET input stage cascoded with triode (similar to the Manley Chinook), followed by RIAA EQ and then triode gain stage, then opamp for output buffer. So even though it is a hybrid design, the tubes do potentially play a big part in the sound.

Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  22. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

The MoFi units should be on your list. The Cambridge Audio Solo/Duo are good, I had the Solo (MM only) and had no complaints with it at all. I didn't like the auto turn off feature, but that's minor. Your budget is close to a Moon LP110v2, and it's worth an audition in my opinion, gives you quite a bit of flexibility for current and future cartridges, which is why I have it now. No experience, but I would sample the Vincent offerings as well.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

+1. Big tube sound stage, reasonably transparent, can support decent MCs +nice feature set. I really liked mine when I had it. A quality piece.

Rick58 likes this.
  24. TheVinylAddict

Everyone's experiences are different, just sharing mine....... :) and I've tried a few to put it lightly.

25. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I always crow about it, but if you can find a used Clearaudio Nano v2, jump on it. Very few reviews online but I owned one for a bit and it is a spectacularly good value as a used piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.