Considering KEF R3s, QUAD S-5s, Wharfedale Lintons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steven Henry, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I.have read similar things regarding ribbons and I am sure there is some truth to it. However, the 2EXs sound really well everywhere. There is a sweet spot though, where the bass is more forward and without subs that does narrow down the best field of listening. But the highs and mids carry well throughout the entire room. I enjoy these speakers no matter where I am in the room without thinking to myself that something's missing (outside of compromised bass)

Steven Henry likes this.
  2. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

A ribbon like that one will disperse laterally fairly well, though not so much vertically. That's deliberate, so that the sound disperses throughout the room better but doesn't bounce off floor & ceiling surfaces so readily--not to mention conflict with the other drivers' outputs. Some of the ribbon speaks I have include waveguides which control the effect even better. However I don't have any RAALs so I don't know the specifics of their behaviour.

Steven Henry likes this.
  3. Steven Henry

Steven Henry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, this is really helpful feedback. Good to hear that the high end frequency dispersion isn’t as restricted as one might imagine.

With the Sierra 2EXs or any other bookshelfs, I’d probably have a sub hooked up to dial in a touch of lower end - as I do with the Minipods now. For certain kinds of music, I find this really helpful. For others, I often have it turned off.

4. Steven Henry

I hear ya on the short list getting longer. I have a hunch that most speakers costing $1500-$2000 are going to be pretty decent at least, with the best being excellent. So a lot of the recommendations here are probably really good options.

Right now my front runners are the Sierra 2EX (which I haven’t heard) and the Lintons (which I have). But I’ll research the ATC, Revel and MA Gold as well, thanks. I’m enjoying the hunt!

5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

We have something in common there! :)

The "haven't heard" unfortunately dominates the landscape for many. Of course, and as you mentioned earlier, never hurts to go with a good satisfaction guaranteed option if possible. Which really hurts the MA Gold 100 5g choice as it's tough to find.....

I'm patient though, that tact always seems to work out well, every day something pops, changes, gets marked down, presents opportunity.... :)

Steven Henry likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Steven Henry likes this.
  7. Steven Henry

I’m in the middle of a cross-state move, and the new place doesn’t close until week after next. Freezing any big-ticket deliveries until then, but if these are still available second week of August I’ll seriously consider. Thanks for the tip!

8. macct

macct New Member

I know I am reviving an old thread. I am interested in the Lintons and the Kef R3's for my main living room. I read through number of threads and I know some say the Kefs and the Lintons are opposites, but can you still enjoy both? In my BR system, I have a Kef LS50 with a Hegel 160 integrated and small B&W sub. The sound is great, so much so I don't want change a thing.

The issue lies in my LR. I have a Paradigm Prestige 85Fs with a Classe Sigma 2200i and a Marantz SR-7013. The Paradigms are great for HT, but the system doesn't have the warmth and open high end of the BR system. The upper end is not bright, but it doesn't have the same clarity as the Kefs. I have already tried the Hegel, and definitely prefer the Classe with the Paradigms. I have also tried the Kefs in the LR. They sound good, but better in the smaller BR. They remain open with a great clarity and high end. The mid range is good, but seems to lean in the bigger room (no sub). I really don't want to mirror to my BR system, but have something different that I can enjoy more than my current setup.

My thought is to try the Lintons, but I am concerned by some of the comments saying they are too different than the Kefs. The other option is to get the Kef R3 speakers. Is anyone using both the LS50's and Lintons in their household? Is the sound presentation more similar or not? Would the R3's be the safer choice, knowing the LS50's already sound good in the room? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.