Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Hi Martin, this one:

[​IMG]
    Lennon and McCartney - Together Alone
    Publisher Jawbone Books
    ISBN Number 978-1-906002-02-2
    Printing Date 2007 - First Edition
    Original U.K. Cost £16:95
    Lennon and McCartney
    Together Alone
    by John Blaney

Martin de Dios likes this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Lol!!
    I’m beyond help myself.
    Just got back from goodwill shopping with the Wife and scored some Maggy’s!
    So I’ve lost about 6 hours here, I’ll be playing catch up for an hour!
    Did the collectors go back on sale?
    Beave

3. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Question for anyone who ordered the 2 LP set from Amazon.com. Did you receive AutoRip files with your purchase?
    Thanks.

4. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

What an amazing sounding LP. Half-speed mastering should be the norm for all reissued LPs.

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Here’s a couple of my Flaming Pie items, promo cd, etc... from the initial release
    [​IMG]

6. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

I bought the 2-cd version, so I know I'm missing out on the two hidden tracks.
    So why don't I hear it here at the tail end from this official YouTube upload?

WHERE can one hear these two then?? :whistle:

7. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I read the Rolling Stone review of the new set. While it is a positive review, I was rather shocked to see "Somedays" dismissed as "fluff".

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

they are not on digital sets

9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I noticed that, I felt it seemed very unusual in light of the general feelings regarding that song, it’s certainly not a view shared by most critics and McCartney fans.

10. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

On Run Devil Run's interview disc, he notes how he does the rocker to separate the classical projects that he's working on.
    I believe that the classical releases will come later — just look at how the iTunes rollout was done in 2007: key pop albums first, then everything else in wave two.

London Town and Back to the Egg are the clear favourites for what's next. According to some here, they are done and awaiting to pass over legal hurdles.
    Moving down into the 80s seems the next logical choice, with Press to Play, or into the early 90s with Off the Ground.
    That leaves only Broad Street and CHOBA B CCCP as the outstanding studio LPs, and he can move forward with the either others and/or live albums too.

There's still a lot of material, and if there's one thing these sets have demonstrated is that the story is still not finished yet.

11. If anyone is not familiar with the Charity Single version of Whole Life - here it is.
    Great, great, song. Now, we have it’s older brother on this collection and it is scintillatingly brilliant.

Even if you know the song; this video is worth viewing; it has Macca instructing his current band; playing a concert scene; arranging? Mixing? Definitely - air drumming....LOL

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Also, for those unaware, this was released on a ridiculously rare cd - it’s only physical release. I passed on ordering one on amazon for about $20 shortly after hearing about it, and didn’t see another pop up until about a decade later on ebay/discogs (I forget which) for MUCH more $$. Luckily I pounced the second time, because it’s nearly impossible to acquire:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    theMess, dmh84, JDeanB and 6 others like this.
  13. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

One of my all time Macca faves. Often brings a tear to my eye.

Could’ve fit nicely on, say, Revolver. If it had, it would be rightly considered a classic today.

Flaming Pie has some fluff (See: The Steve Miller tracks), but “Somedays” is not among them. Rubbish review.

14. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Has anyone ordered any of the Flaming Pie sets (vinyl, CD or deluxe) from MusicVaultz and received a shipping notice? I've been regularly checking the order status online for my 3LP set, and it just says "processed" - which I assume means "we've taken your money but have no idea when we'll send you your stuff".

frogfog and joeortonjr like this.
  15. colindpratt

colindpratt Forum Resident

@Brian from Canada addressed this in a couple earlier posts, should be findable via search

ptijerm likes this.
  16. Here’s a great LIVE version of the song, Flaming Pie, shown in concert at Glastonbury

theMess, Guy Smiley, Tord and 2 others like this.
  17. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Are they still in print? ;-)

Guy Smiley, longdist01 and JeffreyB like this.
  18. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I did not.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  19. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Houston, we have a collector’s edition problem!

I opened it today and arrived with the cover print misaligned and rippling/bubbling. It appears the art print was glued incorrectly in the recess on the cover causing everything to be shifted to the right. So on the left there is a large gap and on the right it is pasted over the lip of the recess causing it to come unglued and bubbling in a couple places. Over time this will become a disaster. I ordered from Paul’s website and sent an email to the email address provided for such things: [email protected]

Anyone have experience with them and resolving issues? I feel like there are 3 options:

1. They do nothing
    2. They replace only the cover
    3. They replace the full box

Very annoying but remaining chill until I don’t. :)

anyone else have a collector’s edition problem yet?

EDIT: I’ve always struggled to post pictures on this forum. Hope this works: McCartney Collector’s Edition issue

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    colindpratt and Sargon like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Post a pic!

Nerktwin likes this.
  21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Numerous people have mentioned reappraising “If You Wanna”. It’s not a bad song, it’s just far too long (3 bridges!). Also a couple of lyrics are really un-rock’n’roll (make arrangements for the trip). But there’s something about it. The bridge is particularly Beatle-y, it sounds like something off Beatles For Sale.

22. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Posted a link to pics in original post.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've always loved the song "Flaming Pie." It's got such a great feeling to it. I love the nonsense lyrics.

theMess, Guy Smiley, Tord and 4 others like this.
  24. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

I also did not receive Auto-Rip for purchasing the 2 disc version.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  25. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Spot on -- really good post. There are, to be sure, occasional quibbles with the various aspects of the deluxe editions -- some bad binding to a book or two, occasional flimsy packaging, and let's not get started on Downloadgate. And we all would love lower price tags. But all in all the depth of the content, the thoughtfulness of the arrangements, and the obvious care and pride with which they all are assembled make them simply stellar. Each one is something that we will use and enjoy for years to come. The fact that they always leave us wanting more is proof of a job well done by the MPL team.

Now, hopefully, on to London Town and Back to the Egg, in due course.