The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower from 6/14/76.

In 1976, it was not unusual for "Slipknot!" to last more than "Franklin's Tower".

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I dig it too. Bummed that I discovered it years after its initial release and missed out on the bonus disc, which contains some great titles.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The bonus disc was a nice addition, but it contains one of the most erractic performances of "Terrapin Station" I can recall. I haven't listened to it in years, though, so my memory might be failing, anyway.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

"Eyes of the World" was a little strange too, like a Texas two-step version. I blame it on Billy only having one arm.

5. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Did I ever tell you guys about seeing Jerry with Howard Wales at the Academy of Music on 1/21/72 ? It's a corny story and maybe you had to be there; ok, you probably did have to be there, but it's short and one of my favorite memories, so with Jerry on my mind today, more than usual, here goes...

Please keep in mind, I was a relatively new dead head and young, all of 17. It was only 9-months earlier that I saw my first shows and was totally over the moon for them.

My seats were first row balcony. So I'm a bit excited to say the least. Place is about 3/4 full, lights are on and roadies are milling about the stage setting up. In hind sight, they must of been slightly late getting it all ready. Jerry strolls out on the stage to see what's going on and talking with the roadies. Out of impulse I yell out, pretty loud "HEY JERRY". The entire place goes silent, Jerry turns around and looks up in my direction; god knows what he's expecting and probably not necessarily good. I'm totally on the spot; of course, I had no idea what I was doing or what I was going to say; I was just so freakn excited; first thing that comes to my mind and I yell it out in a similar volume "We Love You". You can feel the entire breath everyone let out in the room, including Jerry when to everyone's delight, it wasn't a nut with a gun, just a nut with love and smiles. Jerry literally cracked up laughing and waves back. The audience all applauds and laughs. Phew, extremely awkward moment narrowly averted.

Like I said, you probably had to be there, but it was quite a moment; silly, but cool. The show was freakin amazing by the way :wiggle:

Thank you for indulging me.

Zafu

6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Moving on to 7/13/84 Greek Theatre. I’ve even meaning to check out the new transfers of this run and @bzfgt mentioning the Dark Star motivated me to start tonight.

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

WHat source you guys (& @ianuaditis ) using? I got one called "various reels" or something

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was there but I don't remember this. I might have arrived shortly after. It was my first time at the academy of music and I was there again for three dead shows two months later. I really enjoyed the album with Wales but the show was just ok. I think it's been determined that they didn't bother rehearsing for that short tour.

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:agree:

One of the best :righton:

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

Our mate @Frosst has a great strike rate! ;)

US Blues, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’d love to see this one be reissued on vinyl — it is so damn good! . . .

[​IMG]
    1991 Arista ‎– ARCD 8690

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

As someone who has proudly been "that guy" I really appreciate this.

Crispy Rob, Zafu, ARK and 2 others like this.
  14. bzfgt

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10/9/76, second set:

St. Stephen >
    Not Fade Away>
    St. Stephen >
    Help on the Way >
    Slipknot! >
    Drums >
    Samson and Delilah >
    Slipknot! >
    Franklin's Tower >
    One More Saturday Night
    U.S. Blues

One of the best segments from 1976.

16. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I am having some fun with my newly found GD tix bag of tricks. I just reached in and pulled a stub out and am now getting ready to play the show, it is 9/15/82 Cap Center. What I recall about this show was it was one of the first Touch of Grey's and had a fun Playin' theme running throughout... A couple weeks ago when I found a fairly full GD box, the thing that I was happiest about where the photos. One of my favorite Garcia photos that I now have up is by a long gone friend from a show we attended together on 2/4/79 in Madison.

Shine ON> Garcia!

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The Scarlet > Touch > Fire from 7/13/84 Greek Theatre is definitely cool. The Scarlet Begonias is hot and while the transition to Touch of Grey isn’t seamless it’s still a neat moment. The pace of play is fast (I assume the new transfer was speed corrected but I don’t have the text file in front of me to check). Fire On The Mountain slows down a little bit but it still moves. Fun combo.

18. bzfgt

Speed correction by Jason Chastain

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  19. bzfgt

Garcia is like a rabid dog on this stuff, absolutely vicious

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Thanks for letting him know how we all feel about him, even though many of us did not know of him or his music in '72. :righton:

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

We had 2017 Barbera this evening. Pairs nice with Long Island Sound.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 5 others like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Amazing second set jamming that night, as always at Dane County. Wish we had a better transfer of the AUD. :angel:

Crispy Rob, acetboy, trd and 2 others like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I will always regret not taking my friend Matt’s invitation to a Dead show, Shoreline maybe in ‘90 or ‘91. He passed away October 1991 from Cancer at the age of 18. At least we got to see Rush and Robert Plant together.

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Or were Even alive.

Zafu, budwhite, notesofachord and 4 others like this.
  25. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

GRRM has said in the past he’s a fan and copped the term Dire Wolf for the series. The Weirwood trees are an homage to Bobby, IIRC. So it’s not a stretch, really...

Edit: I see this was mostly covered about already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    budwhite, bzfgt, US Blues and 2 others like this.