Question about Blonde on Blonde

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmm55, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmm55

jmm55 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

New member here. Over the years I've come across many threads at Steve Hoffman Forums while conducting research on music related topics and I've always appreciated the quality of content from such knowledgeable folks.

I'm halfway through Room Full of Mirrors, a biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross, and he says Hendrix was thoroughly enamored with Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. I'd like to buy the CD, but there are literally dozens of different versions based on different mixes. When I looked for some insight into which one might furnish the best fidelity I stumbled upon this thread: Best CD version of "Blonde on Blonde"?

...which was somewhat helpful, but I'm having a hard time correlating the well liked remastered version to a specific UPC code. I would be very grateful if someone who knows something about the various versions could simplify my search by citing the UPC code from a well regarded version, so I can be assured I'm not ordering the wrong one.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

This pic was taken when he lived at 34 Montagu Square, London, late '66 or early '67. Not sure if he brought records with him to the UK, or built a new collection there.
    [​IMG]

1967: He also had the songbook.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    rednax, dee, Fullbug and 8 others like this.
  3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

4. jmm55

Acoustic sounds? What does that mean?

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

6. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Muddy Waters album?

Jonny W, john lennonist and JL6161 like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I love ' Blonde On Blonde '. Unbelievably good album from start to finish.
    I can be no help to you in your search but I wish you all the best.
    Have had many versions of it over the years but all I have now is a fine sounding CD and a mono CD-R and that 'll do me fine.
    The first copy of it I had was one my 8th grade teacher gave me in ' 69 after I told him I had dug the ' Positively 4th Street ' single he had played for our class that day.
    I didn't realize it at the time but he was a pothead.
    Nevertheless ! He gave me a copy and said I'd like it. How right he was . This album blew my young teen mind wide open.

9. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Where's Bob Dylan's grandma? :D

dee, Jonny W, parman and 1 other person like this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Lying on her Fat Mattress.

geo50000, dee, Jonny W and 5 others like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Read somewhere that when Hendrix was high in the studio sometimes his friends / fellow musicians would tell him Dylan was coming by just to watch him get all excited.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I guess this thread is as good a place as any to ask this. What was Jimi Hendrix's favorite version of Blonde on Blonde?

dee, Archguy and 905 like this.
  13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

He was quite partial to the original pressing.

14. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I don't like him sitting on Bobby's head.
    very disrespectful.

15. jmm55

I appreciate all the interesting replies and hope the diversion continues, but at the same time I hope some B o B aficionado can still cite an actual UPC code from the jacket of a well respected version. There's a lot of them out there, and even the remastered versions seem to come in different flavors. It's hard for someone who's not so savvy with such things to figure out what's what. See here for some idea of the number of releases . Blonde On Blonde 1966 - CD Releases

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The Real Folk Blues

17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just get the Mobile Fidelity hybrid SACD that was linked to you earlier in the thread. It's the best I've heard it digitally. If you don't know what they mean by hybrid, it just means it will play on a CD or SACD player.

mr.datsun and joelee like this.
  18. jmm55

Ah, now I know what he meant by acoustic sounds. I didn't realize it was a link! Thanks.

19. MikeP5877

Thread Hijacking 101. Welcome.

For Blonde on Blonde, my favorite version is the original MONO vinyl.

If vinyl isn't your thing, the MONO box set CD is great. Jimi would like it.

If MONO (or mono) isn't your thing, there are at least four different stereo mixes, two on vinyl and two on CD. You can't go wrong with any of them.

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The only ones to AVOID are the early '90s "Mastersound" gold disc and the '80s Columbia CD that's was shortened to fit on a 74 minute CD.

21. MikeP5877

Good point - the first 80s Columbia faded out "Just Like A Woman" but they fixed that by the late 80s. My Columbia CD does not have the early fades, fortunately.

action pact likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I hope someone can post some info for ID'ing the shortened version.

23. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Hi jmm55, long long time Dylan fan here. I concur that the MFSL SACD sounds very fine for the stereo version and I like the mono box version for a CD mono mix.

I recommend the following website for a fuller discussion of BOB variations. Just a teaser: there are “three differently mixed mono versions, two different stereo vinyl mixes and five different mixes in digital, each different from any previous vinyl version.” See:

www.electricdylan.net/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

24. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Credit to SHF. I would not know if the electric dylan site if I had not hung out here. Welcome to the forum, @jmm55

Mike

jmm55 likes this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Another good resource on Blonde On Blonde releases and minutiae. Searching for a gem:

Blonde On Blonde 1966

Yeah, it’s not confusing.
    Not at all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.