Joan Jett - I Love Rock 'n' Roll (Cook and Jones version)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vamborules, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you think of it? I think it's good but doesn't quite have the magic of the other one.

It's funny how things can be almost exactly the same but really not.

Crimson Witch and punkmusick like this.
  2. vamborules

Classic hit version for comparison.

MYQ1 and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. vamborules

....and the original by the Arrows.

casey casey likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for posting.

The hit version is much smoother, more professional sounding. I think the Pistols version is interesting, and not without merit, but if this was the released version back in the day it would never have become the monster that it was.

I think they’re that different.

5. The hit version of Joan's is the best one, by far.

6. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

It’s the handclaps

7. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

For those interested there's a recent Joan Jett documentary on Hulu where these different versions are discussed.

The hit version for me.

vamborules likes this.
  8. I was glad to hear the Arrows' version after many years of, pre-internet, looking for it, and never finding it.
    I once had a channel up on you tube and I made a slideshow of Tiny Tim's I Love Rock 'n' Roll Medley (what a great, booming voice!)
    and I used photos of all the original performers as well as him - with the sole exception that somehow, I forgot the Arrows! It just slipped my mind.
    So that guy, Alan Merrill? He wrote me on there upset and wishing I would remake the whole, 16 and a half minute video.
    I apologized but couldn't do that again, for some reason (it's been some years, it was early this past decade)
    Funny, he got insulted by my video....well I did remember, say, Big Joe Turner (etc.)..........

Edit: it's in here, later upload of album by somebody, at 36:19

vamborules likes this.
  9. vamborules

Yeah I just watched the movie the other night. That's what got me thinking about this.

The hit version is definitely the best it's just a perfect single. Hard to put your finger on exactly why it's so great. It just is.

Matt Bowers, Jimmy B. and MYQ1 like this.
  10. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

The original version with some Pistols is on the Joan Jett Flashback compilation of rarities & B-sides.

Matt Bowers and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The simplified drum pattern is one thing. It sticks with the simple kick-kick-snare pattern throughout, while the drummer on the Sex Pistils version tries to get a little cute with the extra kick drum fill and it sounds awkward. Not the only difference, but that immediately stood out to me.

Woodville likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I love ' I Love Rock and Roll ' !
    Number one for seven weeks and the biggest hit of 1982.
    Good for Joan. She deserved it.

Matt Bowers likes this.
  13. Woodville

Woodville Forum Resident

Great timing. Heard the original Arrows version yesterday on Sirius, so I came home last night and played both Jett 45’s, Cook/Jones version and the Blackhearts one. Then found this thread.

I love the Cook/Jones version (especially the accents on the background vocals) but I’m so glad it didn’t make her first album (Joan Jett aka Bad Reputation). If it had, we probably wouldn’t have gotten the classic version. That would have been a huge loss.

I give Joan credit for not giving up on this song when the other Runaways didn’t see any potential. I don’t hear a hit in the Arrows version. And the Cook/Jones version only hints at the possibilities.

I was 9 in 1982 when ILRNR came out. I had accumulated some 45’s and LP’s by then, but it was this song that really ignited my lifelong love of music. That the video was so cool didn’t hurt either. Asked my parents for guitar lessons not long after.

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.