The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

I'm listening to this now. If there ever is a day and a post like that, I don't think it will be referencing this show.

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Good call, I just threw this on myself :cheers:

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

10/9/76 is one of the greatest events of the last 45 years.

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

4/10

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Word is that in the next novel White Lightning is used to defeat the White Walkers.

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox, trd and 2 others like this.
  6. bzfgt

You don't mean pappy's corn squeezins, do you...

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Dave’s 25 (11/6/77) disc 3

St. Stephen>drums>NFA>Wharf Rat>St. Stephen>Truckin’

all-timer for me with the heavy metal Truckin’ out jam.

Blistering HOT!!!

Crispy Rob, laf848, dtuck90 and 14 others like this.
  8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

6.28.74 - Boston Garden

I mean, what the hell planet were these guys on in June ‘74... Miami, Providence, Boston all pure insanity. I’m not a huge fan of WRS but they rip this one up, then the jam out of it is a stone cold classic. Wow.

9. MikeP5877

6/28/74 set 2 was in the first batch of cassettes I got when I began trading 25 years ago. I jumped for joy when I heard that for the first time. I still do.

10. MikeP5877

Dude's got soul

11. dsdu

12. dsdu

10/25/73

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 8 others like this.
  13. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

As is usually the case, this day finds reality bending and folding, and strangely things are trying to catch themselves as they fly by...this whole computer medium never fails to be less weird than it was the year before...or the year before...year before....

...and Yes, I find myself playing Jer’s favorite guitarist, at Gunnerz...1997. If you know, you know...you know?!!?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. bzfgt

I'm listening to Dick 33 1976-10-09 because @MikeP5877 said it was the greatest thing that ever happened or something. I have listened to almost no 1976 for about 10 years or so, and I can't even remember which shows I used to know. I don't know if I ever knew this one or not, I always think things like "That one with the crazy second setlist that included St. Stephen" or "that one with the great Eyes with the long intro" but then I realize that describes multiple shows, and I just don't even know. I'm glad I started taking notes because my memory for shows is atrocious. But I don't think I ever knew this one, even though it's a release, I think most of the 76 I've listened to was summer.

I'm trying not to feel like this is taking valuable time away from my 1968 listening, I let myself get intensely committed for a month for 1973 but I want to put that behind me. I am kind of obsessive about things sometimes.

Half Step is really top, there are 1977 versions with longer soloing I seem to remember but this moves me. I feel like Cassidy for a short jamless version is right on the money. I think this Tennessee Jed is one of the best I ever heard, because of Garcia's sparkling leads and he's nice and loud and doesn't blend in like he sometimes does on this song.

I was typing this during TLEO so now I don't know what it sounded like.

Anyway, so far so good...

Crispy Rob, laf848, uzn007 and 8 others like this.
  15. bzfgt

I have no idea.

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was about 20 feet from stage both nights. :righton:

17. MikeP5877

10/9/76 set 1 has the best pre-Fire "Scarlet Begonias" and my favorite "Sugaree".

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, SJR and 3 others like this.
  18. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Was there a 73 wrap-up thoughts post or nah?

19. bzfgt

No but I probably should make one soon...

20. MikeP5877

Please, let him listen to 10/9/76.

uzn007, jmadad, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  21. bzfgt

Yeah this is the best one I ever heard. I am a little less into the FOTM ones these days for some reason, partly because FOTM bores me a little. This is the best band performance of this I can remember hearing, Jerry's tone on the TB is a little harsh relative to other guitars. I generally like the Bean, but I could imagine a tone for this number that I'd prefer a little to this. Even with that, he's killing it and this is the best version I ever heard I think.

22. MikeP5877

Listen to Weir right after "let her pass by" just before Jerry's solo. That is a sacred moment.

Crispy Rob, Archtop, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  23. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

So I've been watching the Egypt shows video on Youtube, Shakedown Stream or whatever it's called.
    I own this but haven't watched the video in a long time.
    I forgot about Bill having the left hand not working situation.

Anyway I mentioned the Eldon Porray audience recordings of the show.
    I discovered those I think for the first time last December or so. The Subject of the Egypt shows came up and I was off and running.

I listened to all 3 shows yesterday. The Porray recordings.
    He got a great sound, nice stereo spread. Phil is captured very well on those recordings.

The sound of these shows remind me of a local bar band playing for a small town summer celebration in front of a couple of hundred people.
    It just seems intimate. Except the bar band is the Good Old Grateful Dead and the Sphinx and the Pyramids are right there. Weird.

24. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Also last night I watched the Bob Weir documentary.
    I thought that was great, very well done. Cool interviews with a wide variety of people.
    That's so cool that he and his birth Father found each other.
    That was touching, losing Jerry and gaining a Father.
    Glad I got to see that.

Crispy Rob, laf848, ARK and 7 others like this.
  25. MikeP5877

#5877 arrived the other day. This must have been a labor of love (and patience) to compile and it's a great pleasure to listen to it.