The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's not that I don't like Franklin's Tower, but it suffers from the light switch effect found to more annoying consequences on Fire on the Mountain. I mean, Dark Star is not harmonically complex, but it is more harmonically nebulous, which is something I prefer.

I can't cite a better Slipknot! than that from 2/26/77, but there are a few worthy contenders:
    • 12/31/76 - really spacy; almost not Slipknot!
    • 5/9/77 - very close to 2/26/77, but somewhat less Phil-centric
    • 5/22/77 - another one that's in the top shelf
    • 6/9/77 - more balanced and great.
    Some wild cards are 6/14/76 and for an '80s version, 4/9/83 is brief, but Jerry's hammering it. You'll like that one, I suspect.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I'll check that 83, never heard it. I have a place in my heart for 4/1/84.

I know what you mean about FOTM, it kind of bores me these days (and it was never a favorite but for years I was sucked into the whole Scarlet>Fire trip, and liked it in that context when done well as a kind of energy release). FT is kind of similar and although I don't get bored with it as much, I can if I listen to it too much.

trd and Archtop like this.
  3. bzfgt

OK 1976-10-09...what a fantastic show, I am all a-bubble with enthusiasm. The return in to Slipknot! after drums>Samson is one of the best things I ever heard. And I get a little bored with NFA in 1976-1978 sometimes, but this one is right on the money.

4. bzfgt

Seems like a little bit of an oversell, but maybe I have to listen to the whole thing again and hear it in context

MikeP5877 likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is a Dick's Picks that's supposed to have speed issues, or so I recall reading in this forum. Today I picked my guitar to "sit in" on "Help On The Way" and I found no problems at all to play in tune with it. Is my guitar out of tune or is the tape speed of this show correct after all?

6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I just tried playing along. Sounds fine. Key of F.

Rne likes this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

There is a little "Dark Star" in that post- "Samson" Slipknot!

adamos, ianuaditis, trd and 2 others like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Key of F minor. Sorry; I'm the harmonic police.

More correctly, it uses an F dorian scale derived from the key of Eb Major. So, the i chord is F minor, but the scale is not F natural minor. It's F dorian.

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Lol

10. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

From my somewhat recent dabbles into 76 this seems more like a 77 show to me. Way more note perfect and more energy then the summer of 76. Remember that second set being very inspired.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  11. bzfgt

No idea, it didn't sound like it was off in any noticeable way, although I wasn't thinking about it

Rne likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What would you do if the chords that you knew were corrected, notated and renamed too?
    Who are the Harmony Police?

uzn007, Archtop, dgwint and 3 others like this.
  13. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

What the hell made them play this 5/9/77 Bertha so butter like slow? They opened the second set like this. Love it. A nice change.

Spent a lot of recent time in 73,74 and 78.
    This show is incredibly good.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we heard from the perfect pitch music theory nazis.:cop:

Archtop and US Blues like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I remember someone posting about this one being a big ofender regarding speed issues. Personally, I've loved it for years and never noticed any strange, and that's why I decided to check it out with the guitar today.
    Incidentally, just like yesterday with the '73 Denver concert, I didn't pass the audition, but today it was not due to my guitar not being in tune, it was only my incompetence.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  16. MikeP5877

10/9/76 is safe at any speed

Crispy Rob, uzn007, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Listening to yet another Help>Slipknot>Franklin's. This time, 6/17/76, from the last Dave's Picks I bought (and that I had ignored until today, to be honest). I just love the aluminum tone coming from that Travis Bean.

18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I believe that it was the member formerly named libertyc**s that most frequently opined about DiP33 being unlistenable due to speed issues. I have no idea WTF he was on about most of the time and his attitude was toxic and the antithesis of what this thread is about.

So, there’s that.

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    KCWhistle and Rne like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Buffalo? That’s possibly my favourite Bertha. Love the groove on that one.

Edit—I’ve said it before, a Top 3 1977 show from the first half of the year, IMO.

20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

:edthumbs:

Archtop and Rne like this.
  21. MikeP5877

I'll quote

22. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

Yeah I remember hearing this for the first time and thinking that this Bertha is unique.

man they are dialed in 5/9/77

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Oh, yeah :righton:

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

More DaP 28: now it's time for Let It Grow>Drums>Let It Grow>Wharf Rat>Around And Around

25. MikeP5877

There was a brief period in my life when I seriously considered changing my name to MikeP5977.