Can't sell music on Amazon?!?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by head_unit, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd like to take a moment to thank Amazon.com for dumping used CD sales in general. They drove away buyers as well as the sellers. They did this at the moment that eBay was getting tiring for many of us, Gemm was going bust, and sales of new discs were beginning to flat-line, and to top it off, the Discogs database was being filled in as the most complete source of music media data ever compiled. Thank you Amazon and eBay for raising your fees to outrageous levels which made me drop listing much of my inventory until recently when I found better venues. My stock is worth more now than it was 5 years ago as well. My CDs especially would be worth more by holding on a few more years until they were out of print for more than a year or two.

Thank you Amazon for making my recent Discogs launch such a success. I now feel much more in control over my stock, I know who my buyers are and I get all of their info, and I pay such reasonable fees there.

Thank you eBay for setting up a way cool "buy it now" site originally, so that the better ideas that you originally came up with (or stole from Amazon) could be utilized later by Discogs.

Thank you Gemm for getting out of the way and giving Discogs (all of) the market you failed at servicing.

Gumboo, Dave, no.nine and 1 other person like this.
  2. The real end is for Amazon to get out of the physical media business altogether. Amazon was great at doing the industry's bidding - become the dominant online CD seller, crushing local retail music shops. Then once you acquire that position in the marketplace, more or less abandon those sales for your online music service.

A masterful stroke by the music industry to end physical media ahead of schedule and convert users into streamers. I am surprised more alternatives to Amazon didn't show up but I guess eBay and Discogs are the only ones left standing.

Mr Bass, Crimson Witch and chazz101s like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw what Amazon did to the small sellers as a way to "price fixing" of a product line in cahoots with the majors. It was stated as anything but, which was a lie. They wanted to please the major labels and have only normal retail prices. It used to be illegal to do such a thing, and still is in many countries.

If they really wanted to kill off the physical CD then they would have done it bu now. There are plenty of CDs on sale at the Amazon site, and even used product. It is simply now less competition from lower priced sellers.

The first thing taught in business schools is that businesses that lose a small portion of their business are at risk to lose a larger chunk of their business. The competition starts with a small chunk and then grabs a bigger piece later. I suppose that Discogs could take the remaining CD business from Amazon eventually. But I don't think it's by Amazon's choice.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Remember GEMM. Oh my.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

.. plus the independents, like Bomp records; all of the local brick-and-mortar records stores that sell online through their own websites; the labels themselves , like Cherry Red, Esoteric, Artpop, Charly, Sundazed, Gear Fab, Crypt, HNE Recordings, Now Sounds, RPM, Purple Records, Soul SoulMusic, Grapefruit, and the several hundred others that release CDs & LPs every month.

Perhaps another of the things Amazon has been adept at is convincing so many people to believe the myth that they are the only game in town. Well if they stop selling CDs, it only means that they've handed their profit-share of the market over to other businesses who will gladly take the money away from Amazon.

6. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

I miss selling my CDs on Amazon. I did pretty well on there for a few years, and of course their new rules put an end to that.

Last year I canceled my Prime membership and have only placed orders on Amazon when absolutely necessary. I'd rather pay a little extra and buy locally at this point.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I did well with CDs on Amazon 8-9 years ago. I unloaded a large Classical CD collection and got top dollar. I am glad I got rid of them before they dropped badly in value and before Amazon canceled private CD sellers.

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

As you said Amazon wants to please the music industry brontosauri. It is they who are pushing streaming because it is more profitable. Amazon will continue to sell CDs since the brontosauri keep making them at a falling rate until the day when they suddenly decide not to. That is exactly what happened to vinyl records.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

LP records and CDs are two different animals entirely. They are both music media formats, but CDs have an enduring thing about them that LPs do not. They don't wear out the way vinyl can and does. This makes them very difficult to deep-six. My CD sales are Discogs are doing exceptionally well. I am getting substantially above 1989 - 1990s used prices. The only thing that will cool off my sales is when I have already sold the hotter more desirable selling titles.

I really believe that CDs will last 50 to 70 years or more. Plastic does seem to fog up and turn yellow after some decades. I am wondering when we will see the deterioration of that plastic on out CDs? Or is this plastic a special kind that does not turn yellow, fog or get brittle and crack with aging?

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sorry I bothered you. Put me on ignore.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

why do that? I was not in disagreement with you, nor did I think you disagreed with my comments. I just added that it's going to be tougher to kills CDs off than it was with vinyl. You should appreciate the additional info I added on the durability of CDs making them tougher than the rest.

chazz101s likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.