Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A long-time favorite, with good tunes by Sonny & nice brass arrangements by Nelson. Solos by Kenny Burrell & pianist Roger Kellaway, with Walter Booker on bass & the swinging Frankie Dunlop on drums. Recorded 1/26/66 by Rudy Van Gelder in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Producer: Bob Thiele. 1997 CD reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna & remastered by Eric Labson.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is one record cover that definitely would have benefitted from a photo of Rollins rather than the film poster.

Perhaps Bob Thiele thought it would improve sales, or perhaps Paramount Pictures mandated the cover art. I think it actually hurt sales.

I love the album!

jcarter, davidpoole, Jackie P and 4 others like this.
  3. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

5. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

I picked up Charles Mingus Candid Recordings Part 2 today and I’m hoping someone can tell me more about it. Is this a straight comp or demos and alternate takes? Is this material found on other releases? Lastly, is it considered a gray market release? It is “limited hand numbered”.
    [​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

John Coltrane's last home was in the Town of Huntington (Dix Hills hamlet), and he died in Huntington Hospital.

Thus the connection to this album's title.

7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Fillmore East Capacity: 2654
    Fillmore West Capacity: 3000
    Cellar Door Capacity: 163
    Think about it.

[​IMG]

The Crux of the biscuit just might be the apostrophe.

8. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Wonder why they didn't just release the Bacharach stuff with that cover and the Sonny album with him on the cover, like you said.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sonny, through his entire life, has had a very distinctive and photogenic appearance. As I have said before, there should be a 20 volume series of books of images of Sonny Rollins. Volume 21, of new images, should be issued next year.

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I love everything about that picture!

11. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Diggin' that new avatar: :cheers:

Right now we're onto DP36>>>>What a splendidly assertive show!
    (Seems to go well with the Celar Door sesh)

jay.dee and SJR like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Cheers, man! I thought it was time for a change, and this week seemed just right :righton:

Great listening!

AxiomAcoustics and Cervelo like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

40 years ago I was driving down my local highway that had recently been meadows and forest, with my new "progressive" girlfriend. I was moaning about how it had suddenly become car dealerships and fast food joints. She said,"What's the matter? Don't you like change?" That situation sums up a lot.

SJR likes this.
  14. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

I don't think the genre really matters if you like it. I have this album, but I can't say I would find it so impressive.
    But it's OK album, at least for a price I paid for this CD few years ago (£1) in a shop of used records in Eastbourne, UK.

15. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

The price is prohibitive and individual concerts/albums cannot be purchased separately. I already have all the individual concerts I am interested in on CDs, bought new. What I don't have and am interested in is the book that came with the original physical set. Even in PDF form I would love to read it, but it has to be purchased as a separate download (which could be good for someone in my situation) for a lot of money. $50 for a PDF book that came with the original box set on top of the $125 for the box set in downloaded form. A complete rip off if you ask me.

jay.dee, Craig's Story and Tim 2 like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

GATO
    CHAPTER ONE:
    LATIN AMERICA

Gato Barbieri recorded in Latin America
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2009 CD reissue

17. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Paul Chambers: 1st Bassman

[​IMG]

18. [​IMG] [​IMG]

CHICO HAMILTON with PAUL HORN (Boplicity/Crown) CD - remaster

Bass – Carson Smith / Drums & Percussion – Chico Hamilton / Flute & Clarinet – Paul Horn / Cello - George Duvivier / Guitar – Howard Roberts / Jim Hall / John Pisano

Recorded 1963. Playing time is just under 32 minutes. The CD edition was remastered by Nick Robbins and issued in a digipak that includes an 8 page booklet.

The first four tracks (according to thebooklet) most likely feature George Duvivier (bass) and either Jim Hall or Howard Roberts on guitar.
    The next four tracks cover a "revelatory meeting of Jazz with Classical music" from sessions made for an album by Fred Katz and Chico Hamilton Quintet with Paul Horn. These tracks feature guitarist John Pisano with bassist Carson Smith and were included, along with other selections on the Pacific Jazz LP ZEN

[​IMG]
    ZEN The Music Of Fred Katz - Fred Katz with Paul Horn and the Chico Hamilton Quartet

I have listened to these intriguing recordings a lot this past year. A very interesting release - to say the least!

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Another way to produce a cash cow.

Sorcerer likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Well I bought it, so I have to listen to it :).

21. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Lots of rain overnight (2CM) to go with the 1 CM that fell yesterday while we attended and wedding and reception for our neighbor's daughter. Ceremony was outdoors and venue had windows open and fans circulating air so hoping no one comes down with any Covid symptoms. We kept our distance mostly and were masked up most of time but still seemed like a bad idea. Found out yesterday that my cousin, his son and another friend came down with the virus after the sons graduation party, which we passed on attending since they are "skeptics" about the virus.
    Since the deck furniture is wet, we are inside listening to something lighter now. Earlier this morning , it was forum favorite Marion Brown.
    [​IMG]
    Marion Brown ‎– Three For Shepp
    Impulse! ‎– IMP 12692, Impulse! ‎– 051 269-2

Tracklist Hide Credits
    1 New Blue Written-By – Marion Brown 5:07
    2 Fortunato Written-By – Marion Brown 8:50
    3 The Shadow Knows Written-By – Marion Brown 3:00
    4 Spooks Written-By – Archie Shepp 4:28
    5 West India Written-By – Archie Shepp 6:20
    6 Delicado Written-By – Archie Shepp 6:38

Credits
    Notes
    Recorded on December 1, 1966 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

Now, something completely different...
    [​IMG]
    George Benson ‎– Shape Of Things To Come
    Tracklist
    1 Footin' It 4:22
    2 Face It Boy, It's Over 4:04
    3 Shape Of Things To Come 5:15
    4 Chatanooga Choo Choo 3:34
    5 Don't Let Me Lose This Dream 4:41
    6 Shape Of Things That Are And Were 5:46
    7 Last Train To Clarksville 5:36

Credits

Notes
    Recorded at Van Gelder Studios August 27,September 5,October 17,22, 1968

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

The live at the village vanguard sets from the late 70s?

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Now u have me curious. Im wondering what kind of listening project because any project that prevents morning coffee must be very special indeed :agree:

24. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

"It's the music that counts!"?????? The nerve of those blasphemers.

frightwigwam likes this.
  25. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Paul Chambers Quartet: Bass On Top

[​IMG]