Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

"If You Wanna" appears in the 1993 soundchecks. Listening to it, I don't think Paul really developed the song much beyond that.
    "No Other Baby," though, got slowed down for the 1999 album Run Devil Run.

2. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Uniformity issue with some of my deluxe 2 lp archive albums:

The top edge of the 2 lp slipcover slopes down from back to front on 2 of my 3 copies I got from Amazon. The back is glued higher than the front so it slopes down at an angle and the back edge is raised higher. (If this sounds confusing, think of a slight triangle top edge that refuses to lay flat).

Mye OCD does not like this. It is very noticeable. But I am hoping that the 3 copies I'm still waiting on from Acoustic Sounds will all have right angle surfaces and 1 of my existing copies fine.

I can't justify returning them because they aren't damaged. It's just a manufacturing variance that I was "blessed"with.

Anyone else have this going on? - (the uneven top edge, not the OCD). :crazy:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  3. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Sadly, it IS a fault.

4. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

I have this CD single, too. I looked up my purchases on Amazon - bought it on June 11, 2005, for $17.49 + $2.98 shipping! Who knew they kept records from that far back? Being curious, I looked further and could see all my purchases beginning in 1998. I guess the internet does never forget! :sigh:

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love the cover idea! "I know let's combine two really bad pictures of Paul and John to make a horrible cover!" I do enjoy the book though.

6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

My fears appear to be realised: while the parent album has been redigitized, and more dynamic masters have been created, MPL has just used the compressed 16-bit masters from 1997 for the B-sides. They did the same thing with Flowers in the Dirt (at least that collection hadn't been subjected to limiting though). It's as if MPL considers the Wings-era B-sides to be part of McCartney's art, and worthy of the same level of effort that goes into the parent album, but by the 1980's B-sides are just throw-away "product". So, so disappointing.

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Does it have a catalogue number of any description?

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It’s worth mentioning that there were rumors at the time that the title track had a bit more “edge” behind it. Supposedly, during Anthology, Yoko had maintained that John’s “flaming pie” story was not just a bit of Lennon-esque whimsy, but a genuine vision. Therefore, Paul’s song was not merely a humorous throwback, but a bit of a “dig” at Mrs. Lennon’s views.

Let’s not use this as a Yoko-bashing topic. I like the old gal, but must admit she’s a bit wacky at times... Obviously the truth lies with Paul, but I doubt he’ll ever confirm or deny this particular story. I mention it only because younger fans might not be aware of it, and it adds a bit of a dimension to a song that is generally considered just a playful throwaway.

9. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I wonder at what point did Paul drop the bridge. It is to me the best part of the entire Flaming Pie deluxe - just that bridge with the high notes. Did he drop it in order to develop it into its own thing, and that never materialized or did he drop it because he disliked it.
    I need to know, right now.

10. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

While it's true that, in 1997 interviews, he explains that the story was a joke for the local gag paper — they were looking for something ridiculous to be flaming and pie was all something they thought was funny – and he does say that Yoko really wanted that part in, he never says the title track is a dig at her or the story itself… just that he had this idea floating back in his head and decided to have some fun at trying to make it a song. The whole point of the song is whimsy.

If there was any complaint about Yoko, it was from fans (myself included) who felt that Anthology's truthfulness was negated by the fact that myth vetoed over it to fit the narrative already established. Honestly, I think Anthology would have been stronger had that idea of it being a naff idea made it into the book, because it would have emphasized that type of odd Liverpool humour that would be considered charming in their early days. Alas, Yoko doesn't want anything that disagrees with the construct of John the Genius… which also explains why she has been resistant to Let it Be being on home video – it's not all that flattering about John either.

Lewisboogie, The Beave and coffeetime like this.

11. .......is further proof of - you can’t judge a book by its cover. .....LOL

Beatles Fan 4 Life likes this.
  12. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

yes!

13. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

I do remember reading an interview with Macca about the Flaming Pie title. The ''fall out'' with Yoko was something to do with HOW the Beatles got their name. She was trying to tell Macca just how the bands name came about and her version was very different from the usual( and Pauls) account. My memory is fickle ,but I do remember clearly Paul quote to Yoko was ''Well I WAS there at the time!''
    Perhaps other readers of this Forum can find the correct interview and quote. I did read it more than 20 years ago today!

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

If there is a mastering error on ‘Souvenir’, I am struggling to hear it, thus it is nothing compared to the hideous error on ‘Love Is Strange’ from the Wild Life Archive box.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Yes, and at the end the verse, the bridge and the guitar riff can be heard simultaneously - similar to the end of „Silly Love Songs“.

Lewisboogie and Elliottmarx like this.
  16. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

Left: 2020 remaster
    Right: 1997 cd
    Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

This is troubling to hear about.

Has anyone else @marklamb, etc. (can't remember just who ordered this), encountered this problem with their Collector's boxes? I'm still waiting on mine.

Not saying that this was due to shipping damage, but I know that with the rare gold 1000 copy Concert for George boxes, those who encountered shipping damage to them were given a replacement - (the outside I believe). So perhaps a similar offer for manufacturing damage might be offered here.
    '
    If this turns into a general issue, I think the company will have to address this in some reasonable manner. But I'm really sorry that it happened at all @Nerktwin. :confused:

Nerktwin likes this.
  18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I had a few glitches (some scuffing to the box cover picture and a little biding issue towards the end of the book). These are probably manufacturing or original packing issues rather than shipping damage. I'm going to live with them because I really don't want the potential issues surrounding returns etc.

Shouldn't really be happening though on sets of this cost. I would have expected better quality control. Anyway, the set itself is nice and I was glad to receive it on release day. Life has scuffs!

Oyster Boy and Sargon like this.
  19. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

"Life has Scuffs!" - I will never forget that one! Awesome.

dormouse likes this.
  20. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I personally don't think that is an error. The guitar is much more pronounced in the remaster but it is a pluck on an acoustic guitar.

21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Seriously how good does the bass guitar sound on the remaster? (Amongst other things)

Lewisboogie and dormouse like this.
  22. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Mine is staying sealed until my birthday in mid-September. It looks okay through the outer seal. My only worrIes are that if there is a problem that either it’ll be too late for a return (that said Amazon have accepted stuff back beyond 30 days) or there will be no replacements available. It is currently unavailable from Amazon.uk itself.

dormouse and Sargon like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Now I've watched you sitting there
    Seen the passers-by all stare
    Like you have no place to go
    But there's so much they don't know about Apple Scuffs

You've been stood around for years
    Seen my smiles and touched my tears
    How it's been a long, long time
    And how you've been on my mind, my Apple Scuffs

Apple Scuffs, Apple Scuffs
    How I love you, how I love you

;)

24. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Amazon is selling the Collector's edition?

Or are you talking about the deluxe edition? The reported problem posted on here concerned quality control issues with the cover of the huge collector's set.

But yes, in either case, waiting too long to inspect a purchase can be risky. (Hope you have an awesome birthday!)

IF only one of my two copies comes free of this problem, I'm gonna keep one and return the other for either a replacement or a refund. They still have more stock on hand. It should be my choice to return something defective. So I'm not really expecting any policy push back from them. I just hope at least one of them arrives in great shape. (Fingers crossed).

marklambs post about the Lamb family reaction to opening the huge Collector's edition has got me really excited about getting this!

Eska68 and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. mpluk123

mpluk123 Forum Resident

Amazon Price Adjustment.

FYI anyone that Ordered through Amazon, the price dropped to $216.50. Just called for price adjustment...no problem.
    Call 1 (888) 280-4331.

Sargon and Lewisboogie like this.