Who could have "replaced" Roy Orbison in the Traveling Wilburys?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Brian Wilson or Barry Gibb.

2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Yes, but Levon wouldn't have been able to contribute in the songwriting department.

3. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Jerry Lee Lewis.

RAZORMADE, ARK and Guy Smiley like this.
  4. Old Fart At Play

I second Mark Knopfler. Totally different voice, but I think musically and personality-wise he would have fit in. And he had a relationship with Dylan, at least.

While someone like Don Everly could have filled the Orbison role, especially in singing his parts if they toured, I think it would be a little disrespectful to replace him with an "imitator" - another high-voiced '50s guy. I think they would have been better off going in a totally different direction with someone like Knopfler.

I like the Brian Wilson idea, too.

This is a bit off the wall, but if they wanted to replace Orbison's "classy, great voice and from a previous generation" outlier role without getting an imitator, perhaps Mel Torme would have worked. Would he have done it? I don't know, but I think he was a little hip, so maybe.

ARK and Guy Smiley like this.
  5. Old Fart At Play

"Crazy Wilbury"

RAZORMADE, mando_dan and Guy Smiley like this.
  6. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

The publishing credits on the Volume 1 are revealing about the actual songwriters,
    as each of the credited publishers belongs to a single member:

Harrison's Umlaut Corporation (formerly Ganga Publishing) is credited for "Handle with Care,"
    "Heading for the Light", "End of the Line" and the bonus track "Maxine", identifying him as the
    main writer of those songs. In a behind-the-scenes interview included among the bonus features
    on the 2003 DVD release of the 2002 tribute Concert for George, Petty recalls that the lyrics to
    "Handle with Care" were the result of a game held by Harrison during a barbecue outside of his
    home studio, with all of the band members (including himself) shouting out lines and Harrison
    keeping the ones that stuck and writing them in a notebook. According to Petty, the line "Oh, the
    sweet smell of success" is his.

Dylan, credited via his Special Rider Music publisher, wrote "Dirty World" (according to Harrison
    and Lynne's recollections on the documentary, Dylan and all the other band members gave their
    input to the song by pitching in funny lines to complete the lyric line "He loves your ..."), the long
    narrative of "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" (which was apparently intended as either a parody of
    or tribute to Bruce Springsteen's early, verbose songs), "Congratulations", and the one other bonus
    track "Like a Ship."

Petty, published by Gone Gator Music, wrote "Last Night," with substantial lyrical contributions from
    the entire band and "Margarita."

Lynne's publisher, Shard End Music (named after his birthplace,) identifies him as the main writer of
    "Rattled" and "Not Alone Any More."

It appears that Levon would at least be Roy's equal. And, he wears his war wounds like a crown.

[​IMG]

"Now, do you see what I'm doing with this pen, Robbie?
    Do you know what that's called? It's called writing!"

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I still think it is funny that people still don't know if "Tweeter and The Monkey Man" was a tribute to Bruce or made in jest (as a slight put-down) to Bruce. Always a mystery with Bob.

Guy Smiley and phillyal1 like this.
  8. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Dear Wikipedia: If you can't decide whether is is a parody or a tribute,
    then you can't use the word "apparently."

He's clearly taking a dump on Springsteen's word salad.

[​IMG]

Oh don't look so surprised. In your hungry heart you know it's true!

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

10. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

George Jones

11. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

If they were determined to carry on, maybe Willie Nelson but looking back I think they were right to freeze the project as a wonderful moment in time. No disappointing late albums, just the memory of great music.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The Traveling Wilburys was a way for the guys to enjoy themselves and have a bit of fun. It also served the purpose of bringing to the public's attention the fact thatthey were all still around, and still performing.

As for the project itself, I never thought the songs were that great, and considerfed the group to be less than the sum of its parts.

That being the case, it would have been most important to pick someone well-known and with a long career, and who was still respected, than someone with the right vocal fit. The "respected" part excludes Gary Glitter I imagine. Maybe Gene Pitney?

rjp likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just about anyone.

14. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Dylan once asked Bruce in the 90s to do a tour with Dylan's band as backup for both of them , but Bruce said, "No I have to give my guys one last big payday'
    This was told to me second hand as coming from Dylan's manager.

caracallac and Guy Smiley like this.
  15. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

If they wanted to continue I think they should have had a revolving door of "Sidebury" guests depending one who was available and who they wanted to work with. I've seen suggestions here that I think are great (Chris Isaak, Dion, Roger McGuinn, John Fogerty) to some that seem crazy at first thought (Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Axl Rose) but could have made interesting contributions to further projects.

16. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

They needed another Roy, so I would say Roy Wood.
    Has the necessary high vocal range for the part.

phillyal1 and Guy Smiley like this.
  17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I love this. He could’ve used a serious break from the increasingly out of control behemoth that was the Grateful Dead at that time. If he’d really, seriously taken some time away, maybe he’d have lived longer.

By the 90s, Jerry seemed to be having more fun with the relatively low-key Jerry Garcia Band than playing stadiums with the Dead and the whole circus it entailed. Jerry and Dylan were pretty close, and I bet he’d have jumped at the chance.

He loved collaborating with other musicians, doing offbeat and unexpected things. Too bad they never asked him. He’d have fit right in.

Also, “Trips Wilbury” is inspired.

mando_dan likes this.
  18. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I would like to have seen Karl Wallinger (of World Party) fill that slot.

JDeanB likes this.
  19. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Did anyone throw Dion into this? He wasn't as big as Roy.. but would have been a good fit vocally IMO.

20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yes, back on page one. He would’ve been a fine choice. He’d recently made a pretty solid comeback album around that same time.

telecode101 likes this.
  21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Johnny Rotten! (a.k.a., Nasty Wilbury)

22. Old Fart At Play

Frank Wilbury!

23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Dolly Parton

24. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Scott Thurston did a great job singing Roy's parts when TP and the Heartbreakers played Handle With Care in concert.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  25. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

“Cousin Wilbury”

Guy Smiley and Old Fart At Play like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.