So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

What's the principle exactly? That you are special and large scale manufacturers must cater to your every desire, even though it is not shared by 99.9% of the market they are in?

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Waaaaay back in this thread, I explained how carmakers are at war with aftermarket audio manufacturers. This is evident in their making so many of the onboard computer, diagnostic, in-dash navigator and emergency support system intergal to their own car radios: you take their piece-of-crap-tied-to-a-brand-name-audio-system out...it disables half the other gadgets they sold you the car for.

"Ahem" right back atcha...weeks before you posted that.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

That's really just a trolling arguement, isn't it? Feel free to read my positions, stated I feel pretty attentively to every point raised on this thread.

The principle is, you don't take Reese Cups off the candy shelf because people can use their own peanut butter and chocolate from home. It doesn't really matter if most people at home have those things, it's just bad business.

And, you don't tell a suffering person who can't get a CATscan because his insurance doesn't allow that until he's diagnosed near-death, and he's just being "special" because that condition doesn't apply to most citizens, anyway he has a band-aid at home.

And you particularly don't do that, when you were just sold a new, more expensive insurance policy from the same company, when that company was allowing CATscans in cases like these since the '70s.

And I don't care how many "regular folks" have to call me "special" to shame me from expecting that CATscan.

4. Dillydipper

Actually, the company's long run of supplying cars you can play surround sound in, have always made me consider an Accura, whether it's in my price range or not. Because they offer me something I can't get from other brands.

Same with electric cars.

5. Dillydipper

It's not an "argument", it's a way of opening your mind to what I'm saying (which appears to be defending itself against understanding). Examples, metaphor and relevant instances are ways to make people understand stuff they otherwise wouldn't consider.

I had to skip a lot of high school debate classes to learn this!

6. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

So, the thumb drive capability of the Cooper is only 30 songs played in a specific order? If I understand your point correctly, this aspect alone is reason enough for me to not buy that car as music is too important to me and I'd prefer not to burn data to get at it. I'd considered getting a Mini Cooper, because my truck is kinda big and driving it to gigs in the city is a pain. But I can't with this low level of tech. The sound system in the Ram is pretty good. I think my thumb drive in it has close to 6000 songs, on a drive the size of my thumbnail. And adding songs is as simple as copying them on.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    PhilBiker likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's been my point on these threads too (and there's been a few of them). Not a high priority over other things like overall practicality and safety ratings.

Requiring a CD player on a new car seems like I'd be reducing my overall options significantly.

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Having a CD player isn't going to not have safety stuff on a car. Gee, if we add a CD player then there goes air bags?

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

In this day and age, how many people that can afford a car do not have a phone ? Times have changed, move on !

10. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

That’s not at all what Gaslight is saying. Car shoppers have a myriad of choices re: safety. Every new car has airbags and stability control, but (for instance) not all come with forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking. So using this CD player example, most people will prioritize getting the advanced safety systems (or better fuel economy, or a more reliable track record, or a good financing deal, etc etc) over making sure the car can play compact discs.

superstar19 and Gaslight like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Look, you can have a nice CD player or you can have brakes - ya can't have both!" :laugh:

Johnny Action and shokhead like this.
  12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

About those advanced safety systems. This would make me nervous -

13. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

My collection is already ripped and yes it took me several years of Saturday and Sunday night football to make it happen. And yes, it's a pain. But once completed, you have at your disposal, your entire collection to playback in a myriad of situations. Gym, gardening, running, motorcycling, etc.. AND in the car.

Like most here, I've spent most of my life curating my (CD) collection.

Because it's now digitalized, I can easily adapt to current trends in playback.

You should start. I've found SiriusXM to kind of suck, so my three-month free trial will expire.

PhilBiker and SamS like this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Most new cars have a built in hard-drive, I find them very useful.
    Doesn't help you play CD's though.

15. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

What new cars have a built in hard drive ? Most new cars have USB Ports allowing the use of iPods, USB Memory Sticks and other MP3 Players. GM, Ford and FCA offer no vehicles with hard drives that I know of, and if they do, they are very uncommon. I have not heard of any foreign vehicles with hard drives built in either, if there are any they are few and far between.

brownie61 and TimM like this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My 2018 GMC truck, my 2011 Jeep, ex wife's BMW not sure of the year, couple years old, current wife's last Lexus.

17. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Infiniti still puts CD players in its expensive sports sedans. I love finding my non-remastered original Hendrix CDs on the floor of the passenger seat of my wife's car.

18. shokhead

A lot of my CDs are on my Audi's hard drive which is what I use most.

19. Dillydipper

Specifically, my 2015 model Mini Cooper in this trim line seems to not recognize anything over 30 titles on a thumb drive...much larger information, it won't even read it. Sometimes I have to re-jigger the tag information to get it to play the order I want' sometimes it won't do it. Nor did the dealership offer me any further information about it; yet another irritant I have with car dealers when it comes to the specs on audio systems...they're not trained for that.

I put up a thread some time ago about this, and the consensus was pretty-much that there dosen't seem to be standardized thumb drive-reading standards in these cars. Many don't even shuffle. And the dealers are no help whatsoever.

Spin Doctor and TimM like this.
  20. shokhead

21. Dillydipper

I am sick and tired of this obstinate response. If you don't like members who carefully and succinctly try and crystallize their positions - and repeat themselves clearly over and over for people too lazy to go to the earlier part of the thread and read it the first time, get yourself some manners. I courteously try and explain myself, but I am not going to keep doing it for people who jump in late and get cranky because they haven't even given another member the benefit of already stating his position. They would rather not have to sit through my arguments with others, and I apologize for spoon-feeding it to those who want to hijack the thread because they don't like other's opinions. It's ignorant, impatient, and rude.

Once more for the comprehension-impaired: of course I can "afford" a phone...I just don't choose to own one, and certainly don't need to pay for one so a car manufacturer can pass the expense off onto me. Times have changed, but principles don't have to.

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Weird hill to die on, but do you.

uzn007, weekendtoy, Wes_in_va and 2 others like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Thank you for that. I should show that to my dealer, who obviously never saw that. The portion in the manual that I have, does not quite cover that - certainly never mentions "RND", the first I am learning of "random"...not sure if that command is even on my unit. I'll have to check today.

24. Dillydipper

Like I've said - patiently, I thought until now - I don't want to hijack this thread repeating myself endlessly because a member is too lazy to check further in the thread where I have already answered any possible permutation of needling or carping possible.

Yours is the last irrelevant distraction I need to respond to in this thread, and once again, I apologize for feeling like I have to defend my position against this trivial crap.

25. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The whole reason this is a problem is that car makers have made it very difficult, if not impossible, in a lot of cases, to replace the audio system. Used to be when car shopping, the audio system wasn't that big a deal because I knew I was going to easily upgrade the components, or change them to my liking. You had options. Now you are basically stuck with what you get.

PhilBiker, TimM and brownie61 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.