Solo Beatles songs that would be considered among their best if released by The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jul 31, 2020.

1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I’m crying here.

On the previous page, SchnitzelPhil says something outrageous as he’s apt to do. DK Pete calls him out on it. Then SchnitzelPhil likes the comment that DK Pete wrote which calls out SchnitzelPhil’s own outrageous comment.

Sometimes I really live this place.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I often "like" posts that I disagree with....if the opinion is substantiated, it makes for good "back and forth" which I think is one of the best things about these discussions.

kwadguy, ARK, John Porcellino and 2 others like this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

You just reminded me of something. Maybe a good thread idea. Hmm.

joy stinson likes this.
  4. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I've never cared for Maybe I'm Amazed. :hide:

Spy Car, nikh33, EddieMann and 3 others like this.
  5. bewareofchairs

Maybe if your idea of Beatles songs are all the Paul songs.

nikh33 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

My Sweet Lord...

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

......whoa...! A first of firsts!

joy stinson and bewareofchairs like this.
  8. Michael

I liked the cover versions more than the original.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  9. Michael

it happens! LOL ; )

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I may be amazed to hear that.

Bern and bewareofchairs like this.
  11. bewareofchairs

I don't like the way Paul sings it. That rough voice. I much prefer his soft approach.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't know about that? I like Bluebird too but Blackbird is an equally good song and would be great whenever it was released!

Ryan Lux and DK Pete like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I like MIA a lot but not quite as much as most people. For me, it actually is the way he recorded it that really makes it more so than the song itself. His vocal, IMO, is one of his all time greatest and I love somewhat the rough edged quality of the lead guitar playing. The live, more "Classic Rock"-friendly version has pretty much taken over but I always favored the much sharper sounding solo studio version.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think Blackbird is more popular simply because it's a far better song both melodically and lyrically.

kwadguy likes this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree! It Don't Come Easy is a Ringo song, and Instant Karma with Ringo on the drums, would be a massive hit for the Beatles!

John Porcellino and DK Pete like this.
  16. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I was just raving about "Beautiful Boy" in another thread. It's one of McCartney's favorite songs, and it's fascinating to think of what he might have added to it as a collaborator.

But aside from that, I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Instant Karma" are the only solo records worthy of the Beatles. All four did plenty of good solo work -- and some songs I really love -- but the Beatles obviously set a bar that was pretty high.

DK Pete and schnitzerphilip like this.
  17. bewareofchairs

That makes sense. The live version sounds messy -- there's a lot going on which imo takes away from the romantic quality of a love song, but then I guess that was typical for the 70s. I do think it has some of Paul's best lyrics.

The only song where I can deal with the scream singing is Oh! Darling. Otherwise it reminds me of Rod Stewart or something. Hurts my ears, lol.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm sure there are many on here who have made a 1971 Beatles mix. Some would have continued this till '75 when John stopped making music.

siveld and DK Pete like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as good as 'band on the run' is, i've often wondered what it would have been like had lennon had a hand in it, along with harrison's guitar work.

could have really been a stunner, that's a for sure.

John Porcellino and DK Pete like this.
  20. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Oh My Love

J Alesait and John Porcellino like this.
  21. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Mother for example. It's a great Lennon song and therefore wouldn't work with The Beatles because of how personal it is. I don't think Imagine would have worked as a Beatles song either.

A song like Got My Set On You would have worked well as an early Beatles pop single and a guaranteed number 1 hit.

Jet could have worked well on the White Album.

22. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

„Friends To Go“ sounds like a McCartney-Harrison co-write that never happened...

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

.....my favorite song on "Chaos..."....short of the current day production, it sounds to me like it could have been a Rubber Soul outtake.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A few people have said that they can't hear Imagine as a Beatle song and I don't get that...it's a beautiful song, melodically......and conceptually-albeit over the top utopian-isn't too far from All You Need Is Love.

joy stinson and Chuckee like this.
  25. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I don't think one is much better than the other but they are quite different imo.