Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

The 2015 Caroline / Island / Universal CD release of Social Living is legit (with original mixes) although it has obviously been mastered for CD release. Although nothing will every match the sound from the vinyl LPs the sound on the CD is nowhere near as inferior as suggested above. If you can't find the LP versions I would have no hesitation recommending the Social Living Caroline / Island / Universal CD edition - plus it has a nice 8 page booklet included and won't cost a fortune - it's currently selling on Amazon UK for the very attractive price of £5.75.

CD details here
    Burning Spear - Social Living / Living Dub

[​IMG]

2. knb

knb Forum Resident

There is at least a stand-alone CD of the first volume
    There is a stand-alone legit CD of Vol 1:
    Burning Spear - Original Living Dub Vol. 1

I have both, and a quick comparsion netted the following result:
    The stand-alone has much more detail in the upper register; some might even consider it a little bright. Personally, I think it sounds very good.
    The Caroline version sounds somewhat muffled by comparsion, but I agree that it's not unlistenable; I guess you could even argue it sounds more "relaxed".
    I used to have the parent album on vinyl, but not the dub, so I can't say which is closer to the "original", but I suspect it's the stand-alone CD.

3. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I don't have the Brurning Spear CDs from Caroline, but I do have Jimmy Cliff, Culture, Rico, The Gladiators, Toots, The Heptones and The Paragons from Caroline. I like these CD masterings quit a lot.

morgan1098 likes this.
  4. Yes I had them, they were released by Spear and are needledrops but you can then remove the pops and clicks (very few of them and easy to manage) using any cleaning application like Izotope
    They had the original covers

Burning Spear - Living Dub Vol: 1
    Burning Spear - Living Dub, Volume 2

Then Spear reissued them with new artwork and clean sound

Burning Spear - Original Living Dub Vol. 1
    Burning Spear - Living Dub Volume Two

crozcat and Maurice like this.
  5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

knb likes this.
  6. knb

knb Forum Resident

I just checked, and you remember correctly: The last track is missing the final 1'15'', and the other tracks are usually 2 or 3 seconds shorter than on the Caroline version, which is most probably the result of them being very slightly sped up (or the Caroline version runs slow).

7. django68

django68 Forum Resident

As was mentioned the Caroline CD vocal/dub is a little duller in the top end but not anything that can't be fixed with a quick EQ adjustment. I compared this issue to the B&F vocal album and the B&F is a little brighter too but not by a great deal. Maybe the Caroline dub was EQd to match the vocal album. I guess it depends on how much that small difference weighs out against the convenience of availability.

8. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Aswad's A New Chapter has arrived and I've played it a couple of times. And now I'm gonna chuck it in the bin. Awful, verging on cheesey pop. Don't like it at all.

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Chuck it over here. I'll take it off your hands.

10. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Ways of The Lord, Tuff We Tuff, Ina Your Rights and Love Fire make it worth keeping in my opinion - but to each their own.

11. zither

zither Forum Resident

Love Fire is fantastic. It must be played LOUD!!!

manicpopthrill and Kernow Boy like this.
  12. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

I think Aswad were still pretty good when this came out. Have you tried Live and Direct?

zither and manicpopthrill like this.
  13. Postcard

Postcard Back in the garage…….

And African Children.
    I saw them live around about this period and they were rather good.
    The added bonus was that Jah Shaka was responsible for the sound system.

manicpopthrill, Kernow Boy and zither like this.
  14. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I noted that the first 2 tracks were OK and maybe worth putting on a comp with my favourites from the first 2 LPs. But when I didn't like anything after that I just thought sod it.

Ah well, back to Ijahman. :)

15. Postcard

Postcard Back in the garage…….

You need to put the Warrior Charge/Dub Charge 12” on your Aswad compilation.
    Along with their collaboration with Dennis Brown, Promised Land.

zither and Dubmart like this.
  16. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

If New Chapter is cheesy pop, then give me more o' that. :thumbsup:

zither, Kernow Boy, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  17. django68

django68 Forum Resident

I think the studio version is good but not a patch on the live cut. Live & Direct blows the studio versions away on most tracks to be fair.

18. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I have just been listening to a mint 1980 original of Pablo Moses - A Song, what a fantastic record :tiphat:

19. manicpopthrill

20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Pretty sure that most, possibly all of them, are from tape, can you imagine trying to take that Gladiators album from vinyl, impossible.:laugh:

Whatever the issues we have with Studio One they did seem to keep most of their tapes, I guess Coxsone could afford to.

marmalade166 likes this.
  22. manicpopthrill

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Don't know it, but it does look legit, though those are later cuts to some of his well known tracks rather than the better known versions.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  24. manicpopthrill

Yeah, I should have figured that out on my own since they are King Jammy productions. Gonna pass on this....thanks.

Dubmart likes this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Has there ever been a properly comprehensive Horace Andy compilation? For me it would have to include his first stuff for Phil Pratt, the Santic recordings, Keith Hudson, Studio 1, Bunny Lee, Prince Jammy, his self-productions, Wackies... and probably a bunch of recordings I can't think of right now :winkgrin: not the Everton Dasilva stuff tho, I've never understood the praise it gets

Although the more I think about it I guess not, it'd be a complete nightmare to try to license

Dubmart likes this.