Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

/!\ IMPORTANT CORRECTION /!\
    "C'mon Down C'mon Baby" is from February 20,1997, so are "Great Day [Acoustic]" and "Calico Skies [Acoustic]" which are not from September 3, 1992 as noted in the booklet!
    It was recorded during the filming of "In The World Tonight" and you can see excerpts of it in the actual documentary:
    [​IMG]

The book (and booklet) are by far the weakest of the collection so far, unfortunately... They needed a double check.

2. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

It IS definitely a fault and sounds nothing like a pluck on the guitar.

3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Thanks for your good wishes. Decided to save the box for then to make it extra special, plus a bit of fund pooling. BTW I am talking about the regular deluxe. Having seen the superdeluxeedition unboxing though, the collectors set looks tempting for the art prints (I don’t do vinyl). If it had been say £100 more than the regular I might have jumped. The US deals on Friday would have given me a dilemma if I was over there.

marklamb and Sargon like this.
  4. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Just now got done browsing through my opened deluxe edition book. wow. Wow. WOW.

With this version of the release, it's ALL there. What a privilege! The characteristic high quality elegant packaging with an inside arranged and layered in a way that literally invites curiosity. The string bound folder. The very personal presentation and attention to detail right down to wear, wrinkles, and blotches. Love the color book pictures and the hand written lyrics and personal drawings on paper of various types, size, thickness, and color - obvious replicas of the originals in every way.

Still need to read the books, listen to the music cds and watch the videos. Layers upon layers of experiences here!

I know the Collector's packaging will carry it's own unique vibe and I'm glad I'm getting it. But this deluxe set not only gives you all you could want, it possesses ALL the magic that is so characteristic of these archive releases.

A real win-win situation, no matter which format one goes with - the deluxe, the collectors, the cds or the records, IT'S ALL GOOD! No one misses out because it is all about the music.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s unlikely that this will have a long term affect on my enjoyment of the set

theMess, supermd, mrjinks and 9 others like this.
  6. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

While my guitar gently "GLEEPS" in this case.

theMess, Oyster Boy and Arnold Grove like this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s actually an Easter egg portal to Temporary Secretary. If you press ctrl F right when it gleeps , you will be transported directly to a new remix of the song

Zongadude and Jayseph like this.
  8. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Control F? You sure about that button? I tried it and got transported to an extended version of FREEDOM! :yikes:

9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Just popped the fourth CD into the player. Only had chance to play the Skeleton track. Really enjoyed it. Lovely bass and keyboards. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does!

The Silverstone Grand Prix is on the horizon so am taking a break from the Pie.

I'm surprised at all of the Anthology references. I have no recollection of the association. Maybe I have just forgotten or perhaps it seems closer with the distance of time than it appeared then. There are plenty of mentions of Beatle influences though, even from Paul, so I guess it is just me.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

No packing for shipment, leave alone a despatch notice from Amazon UK this morning, when they said Arriving Tuesday I'm guessing they meant it. Happened to be staying nearby last night, so nipped to HMV in Liverpool One this morning and picked up their last copy. If HMV in L1 wouldn't have the new box set from local lad made good, then there was no chance of HMV anywhere else in the country.

Haven't looked at the contents yet aside from setting the downloads going, but it really is quite something. Deluxe box #02035 for those keeping track.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  11. Oyster Boy

No better place to buy it, you’ll treasure it. I got my Lennon Signature box from the Beatles shop there.

coffeetime likes this.
  12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I feel like a walking cliche every time I visit, an archetypal fan/tourist. Always love visiting though, however fleetingly. Every time I've been abroad and people ask where I'm from, I've been asked about my proximity to Liverpool at least once per trip. (answer; about an hour's drive away, and yes, I've seen Paul live in concert there. Twice :D).

Back there again in a couple of weeks for the Linda McCartney Photographic Retrospective exhibition at the Walker Gallery.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  13. Oyster Boy

Same here, love the place and I’ve seen Paul there twice as well in 2010 and 2015. If you haven’t done it, do the National Trust Beatles homes trip. Unforgettable.

Sargon and coffeetime like this.
  14. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

I posted a frequency graph (with a comparison to the original CD version) earlier in the thread that even clearly shows the glitch.

Got to wonder about people praising the remaster, yet can't hear a clear mastering error!

mindgames likes this.
  15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Not done the National Trust visits; only half remembered that Paul's house at least is NT owned. We're members so it would be rude not to sort out a visit in the near future!

Saw Paul in Liddypool in 2003 and 2015, so will have been at the same Echo Arena concert (M&S Bank Arena indeed...). I'd have been one of the handful enthusing wildly at the back of the lower tier when Temporary Secretary was played.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  16. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I’ll buy from my local.

17. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Lol. Was thinking the same thing.

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Permission requested to appreciate the remaster despite being able to hear the glitch. Or do I have to dismiss the release entirely?

19. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection - Sound Quality Discussion

20. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Um, what? The issue is that people are claiming they either can't hear it or that it isn't a glitch. Also, the album doesn't run at the right speed (although that isn't unique to this release - most modern tape transfers don't run at the same speed as the original LP or even 90's CD releases).

21. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Permission denied! Don't you know you're supposed to throw the baby out with the bath water? What are you thinking! ;)

Max Wilbury, kevintee and fishcane like this.
  22. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

The higher DR number for this release makes it even more puzzling that the Wings Wild Life remaster had limiting even on the high res release.

Sargon, supermd and Paul H like this.
  23. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

I know you didn’t literally just claim that most modern tape transfers run at a different speed than original LPs.

24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It was fantastic to visit the childhoid homes of Paul and John. Unforgettable.

theMess, Sargon, Lewisboogie and 6 others like this.
  25. Col

Col Forum Resident

The box is splendid and the sound of the album via the download code is wonderful-the album always felt it had a digital edge and coldness: a sibilance in the 'S'ongs they were 'S'inging..but this is warm yet crisp and somehow the tracks I thought of as lesser (If you wanna,Looking for You) are improved by the careful remastering.The associated tracks especially Love come tumbling and Same Love do not sound as good and had to be Audacity taken down a few db's to not stand out in a playlist I made.Whole Life is great-how was that over looked?The album's acoustic tracks are not only Beatle worthy compositions but are close to demo sounding now.Nice to have the home and studio tracks but I won't be giving most of them repeated plays!

JLPMacca, ccbarr, Sargon and 2 others like this.