Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A super-bargain!

TonyACT likes this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Now spinning. Follow-up to some Scriabin earlier (Poems of Fire & Ecstasy - Gergiev - complete Scriabin box CD 14).

Luisboa, bluemooze, canzld and 2 others like this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player: Music to sleep by

[​IMG]

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I'm leaning toward non-classical listening on Saturday night, like these two Rollins' favorites from 1962 & 1966. I saw Sonny in concert three times, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Each time was inspirational.

peter1, Luisboa, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  5. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Amongst the Alfie cast.......

Milicent Martin ! That brings back memories of the 60's ! She was a great actress, singer and comedienne :)

[​IMG]

Another cast member, an old flame of Macca.....

[​IMG]

6. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Exactly! - it has NO MARKINGS about being a SACD :D - but believe you me, a member of this forum (me in this case) does not get confused on these things - it is a SACD! - Like I said before, I ask myself what it means - beyond the little comment on the discogs, no mention at all. Hope that does not mean all those wonderful SACD releases are wasted... even on classical fans...

v

sambamaster and TonyACT like this.
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The blue ray disc for video and audio application was released 16 years ago so if your universal player is about 6+ years old it should be compatible -do you have the manual which will advise you which formats are recognized? My Denon is about 6+ years old now and it is a universal player which does the Blu-ray, SACD etc

TonyACT likes this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Here my SACD version ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the original Hildegard von Bingen recording, my first recording of works by this composer

[​IMG]

This electronic music kind of reminds me of the Beethoven 5th disco style ... :biglaugh:

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

12. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Longtime SHFer, first time CMandConvo visitor...hello. I tried using the search for this but it was maddening. I'd like to find out where to start with Beethoven's late string quartets. What's the consensus on the best recording (if any!). Thanks in advance and have a good Sunday

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Amazon Music HD.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Luisboa, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

There are a lot of good ones out there. "Best" is subjective. This one can be had a decent price on CD. You didn't say if you were looking for CD or vinyl.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Luisboa, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Bought this one for 10 bucks. Sounds fine to me. I also have a late quartets recording by the Yale Quartet which I like a lot.

sekaer and ibanez_ax like this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

17. StarThrower62

[​IMG]
    Persephone
    A beautiful performance of one of Stravinsky's less popular works.

Luisboa, bluemooze, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Or their more recent offering.........

[​IMG]

This complete set (graciously recommended to me by Bachtoven) is great and an absolute bargain.....

[​IMG]

Luisboa, bluemooze, canzld and 6 others like this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

20. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I’d recommend Emerson String Quartet or Guarneri String Quartet (RCA). Both can be had as the set of late quartets or the full cycle for a reasonable price on CD.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    zen, bluemooze, canzld and 1 other person like this.
  21. StarThrower62

22. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Sorry, I know it’s subjective and I’m looking for CD. I’m wondering if there’s considered like a recording or interpretation that others are judged against. It doesn’t need to be audiophile—older recordings aren’t welcome. Thanks and sorry for the confusion

23. StarThrower62

I don't think there is one definitive recording of a complete cycle that all others are judged against.

24. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I don't think there is one. Just quite a few great ones. Either of the Tokyo sets (the more recent one are Hybrid SACD's, so play on a normal CD player), the Alban Berg, Quartetto Italiano, Emerson's would serve you well.

Daedalus, canzld, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was listening to this LP this morning:
    [​IMG]
    This is a 1958 released by Decca and recorded by the famous recording engineer Kenneth Wilkinson. It perfectly demonstrates the so called “Decca Sound” which emphasizes hall ambiance and presents to the listener a holographic acoustic image of the orchestra.
    The sound of the strings is perfectly captured and is incredibly smooth and lush in this recording. This is of course the legendary sound of the strings of the Vienna Philharmonic and it is represented perfectly here.

The performance is fine, nothing too wrong about it, nothing too good about it, a little middle of the road imo.