Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Half off all vinyl or select ?

2. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

Select. Same ones that dropped from 50% to 25%. Now, those records are back at 50%. Nothing new added that I saw.

I did pick up Dhani Harrison's album & David Byrne's American Utopia.

Gaslight and hutlock like this.
  3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I went by B&N to test out the new vinyl sale. As has been reported, the 25% off tags are back up to half off. I tested a few non-tagged items, no discount.

Was only there for about 15 minutes. Ended up getting Bruce Springsteen's "Ghost of Tom Joad" for $13 and Erasure's "World Be Gone" for $12. Nice to buy some vinyl out in the wild for the first time in a very long time.

Edit: The Erasure album is the orange vinyl version which is trashed in the Discogs comments. My copy sounds just fine. I think the production is a little bit off compared to what Erasure usually provides but I'm not hearing any flaw in the pressing.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  4. lovelettertypewriter

lovelettertypewriter Well-Known Member

Nice little score at a few B&Ns

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations 12” single
    S&G - Parsely, Sage, Rosemary
    Paul Mccartney -Flowers In The Dirt Deluxe
    Mudcrutch 2

SJP likes this.
  5. I read somewhere B&N was moving out of the music business. I noticed they have a bunch of forthcoming exclusive release though.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  6. It's just as likely that Barnes & Noble goes out of business completely. The ramifications of Covid-19 came at a very poor time for the chain.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Rod Stewart 2LP Blood Red Roses $14.99
    Leon Russell LP On A Distant Shore (orange haze vinyl) $9.99
    Jayhawks LP Back Roads and Abandoned Motels (orange vinyl) $9.99

Saw a Bob Dylan LP box Trouble No More

black sheriff and Dignan2000 like this.
  8. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Do you have a link for their upcoming releases? Thanks

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You're just trying to get me back into my local B&N. It's not going to work.

(oh who am I am kidding. Damn you all)

10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

unless theyve restocked or added more to the half off list i think i pretty much cleared out the stores around me of anything i need.

it certainly looks like theyre getting rid of non book items, pops and collectibles are half off as well.

black sheriff, superstar19 and 4-2-7 like this.
  11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I've actually shopped in their stores regularly, but I'd really miss their online business if they shut down completely. They've had a lot of cool exclusive pressings over the years, they're good at shipping out vinyl quickly and in sturdy packaging, and sometimes you can find them selling records that are hard to find elsewhere.

Davidmk5, superstar19 and hutlock like this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Coincidentally, I am staying right down the street from a B&N so I’m probably going to wander in once I swallow some coffee and donuts. The peer pressure of this thread definitely got me!

Plus isn’t today the last day of the Criterion sale?

13. They have a link on their website for upcoming releases. I'll look it up shortly.

14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LOL
    I was wondering the other day if my B&N was open, still don't know but will find out. I hardly ever go there for records but this might be worth a peak. I have been really supporting my main local record store lately as they need help to stay in business as this virus is killing them. I went Friday and again Saturday this week, Friday he was kinda bummed out because it's looking like California could start closing stores again.

longdist01 and Ilusndweller like this.
  15. I went to my local B&N yesterday and they’ve restocked the 50% off vinyl area. Picked up Tim Buckley’s s/t mono, Aretha Franklin’s Aretha Arrives mono and Marianne Faithfull’s Negative Capability box set. The Marianne box was a blind buy but I’ve heard great things about it and for $17.50 it’s worth the risk.

16. hutlock

Didn’t find any vinyl I wanted at the B&N but I grabbed the Criterion blu-rays of Dylan’s Don’t Look Back and A Hard Days Night for half price on the last day of that sale at least. Also the Kate Bush cover issue of Uncut and the latest Mojo, so it was a worthwhile trip overall for certain.

SJP likes this.
  17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I got these all half (50%) off, my store didn't have anything marked, all where in 4 big baskets. I did find Shine On in the main rack with a 50% sticker on it. B&N has a exclusive red and black copy of Norah Jones new record so I grabbed that as well even though I have the indie white and black, got Hell Freezes Over also at list price

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Nice haul! Those titles are all pretty consistent with what was available earlier this year (as in we aren't really seeing anything new).

Sting/Shaggy is a really fun record. That one was totally out of left field. I'm sure Sting detractors would find something bad to say about it though.

4-2-7 likes this.
  19. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yeah I bought Sting & Shaggy when it first came out and liked it. A few of these I already had but I look at it as reducing the cost of the first one, it never hurts to have dups. When I was driving home I thought it would be nice if we could run a trading thread when stuff like this happens at a store. Someone else might be able to grab stuff others want more than they do, conversely it works both ways. On another site we would network like that for RSD titles, it helps everyone get what they want at the store prices.

Most of the Joe Bonamassa records I just grabbed new at the lowest used open prices sold on discogs. While 3 out of 5 have tattered shrink wrap, they are still sealed and still have a good download.

SJP likes this.
  20. hutlock

Well we do have a thread for that, sort of... the Pay It Forward threads do that in a way, but they aren’t limited to just a single sale or allowing for people to post stuff they want specifically. But worth a look if you’re interested in trading duplicates for free records!

4-2-7 likes this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Passed by my local B&N....LP's not marked but it looks like they took the old 50% stuff and just put it in their own bin. Easier to sift through but it looks like the same stuff from January or whenever that was before.

22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I was just in the Boston location for the first time since January and the 50% off records seem to be whatever didn't sell back then, perhaps with added recent Neil Young releases. They still had the deluxe of the Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" that I keep looking at before deciding that I'd rather spend $45 on records I don't already have in some form. That said, I did drop $11 on the white vinyl of the first Vanilla Fudge album.

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Too bad the border is closed :cheers:

GentleSenator and 4-2-7 like this.
  24. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Gave in and ran to one, same selection but got Aretha and Gregg allman and a few criteron

SJP, superstar19 and 4-2-7 like this.
  25. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I scanned through the vinyl at the B&N I work at and had to add some titles to the sale. Smashing Pumpkin's "Shiny", Liz Phair's "Exile In Guysville" and Marianne Faithfull's "Negative Capability" box are the three records of about 20 that were added in my store. I just purchased The Smashing Pumpkins record as a reward for surviving a busy shift!!!

Shawn, Davidmk5, ivor and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.