Luxman 509x Mono Playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Calarco, Aug 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi—

I am demoing a Luxman 509x right now, and hooked it up for the first time last night (with Rega P10 > Apheta 3 > Gold Note PH-10 and B&W CM9 speakers). On first run, the stereo playback of my 1st UK copy of "Wish You Were Here"—with the Line Straight setting which bypasses any tone control—was staggering. Huge soundstage, crazy dynamics—jaw dropping stuff. When I then played my all-but-pristine OG mono copy of "A Love Supreme" with the Mono setting, I didn't get the same results. I felt like the staging and imaging were compromised—like the instruments were on top of each other without enough space in the presentation and without the clarity of imaging. The overall authority just wasn't the same. I felt that the presentation wasn't even as good as my mediocre Integra home theatre amp I had just disconnected.

Anyone have any experience with mono playback on a Luxman or have any thoughts on why I might have had this experience?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Maybe too obvious a question, but did you also try listening to the mono record without the mono mode engaged?

I've never used the mono switch on my L509X for mono recordings, but I think the idea is it's using DSP to sum stereo channels into mono, but isn't designed to make mono recordings sound better.

3. Dave Calarco

I will try that. But if it's not use to make mono recordings sound better, what is it used for? There was a striking difference on my old amp when playing mono records with the mono setting engaged vs. without it.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There are various reasons, mostly related to only using one speaker or using all four speaker taps. I can't think of many reasons one would be using said Luxman for these reasons, but it just adds flexibility.

Different amps might implement mono controls differently. Every amp I've ever owned didn't do anything to a mono signal because it's already mono. I don't understand how one makes a mono signal "more mono", but I do understand how stereo channels are summed into mono.

In your case, if you're coming from a home theater receiver, there could be a big difference in how it works - generally home theater receivers convert analog signals to digital by default to make use of the DSP they're designed around, and the mono mode might have been disabling a lot of that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Dave Calarco likes this.
  5. Dave Calarco

Interesting. There’s been lots of discussion on this forum on how to play mono records on stereo rigs, especially around a switch that a member made that sums the channels like a y cord. The other option is mainly a mono switch on an amp.

So you think that unless you have a mono cart there is nothing to do to improve mono playback?

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Isn't that what mono sounds like?
    I don't think any DSP is taking place with this amp.

7. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

I like using my Luxman LX-380 mono switch when applicable. Its not a knock out difference, but I think it adds a little somethin' somethin' to mono recordings. I like to use it. If I had to pick an adjective I would pick "stability." Just seems to congeal things better. Hope that helps!

8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I never heard this Luxman amp (I absolutely love design however, and as I heard build quality is amazing).
    But yes, difference between mono engaged and mono cart is huge.

9. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

If phono cartridge is stereo type, it is always better to play mono record keeping stereo mode. When using mono switch, any error in cartridge alignment will cause significant sound degradation. Actually this is a test of good alignment - play mono record and switch between mono and stereo - you should not hear much of a difference. If you do, time to re-align cartridge in tonearm.

10. Dave Calarco

There’s definitely an enhanced focus of the imaging using mono mode. And my cart has a 3 point alignment and is factory installed, so I know it’s correctly aligned.

11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I found the difference when playing new mono pressings is very subtle, and my cartridge aligned by old hands and eyes (and bunch of tools). Playing for example With the Beatles from 2014 in mono sounds terrific on my Benz Micro Wood SL with no mono mode or in mono mode. A little different, but not sure which way better )).
    Playing the same mono record from 1963 (UK original mono press) on the same cart sounds noisy (OK, it is a little beat up) and shrill. Much better in mono mode, but still.. But when switched to Denon DL-102, a mono cart, record sounds terrific (playing 2014 version on Denon sounds very blah). And of course no mono mode needed with Denon, which is already mono )). So suspect mono mode helps a little more with older and a little worn records, and probably switch (Stereo/Just L/Just R/L+R) sometimes even more useful... But still compared with proper mono cartridge it does not sound right.

12. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Sorry to tell you, but alignment is not good. You should hear almost no difference. Anything other than that points to cartridge quality problem or mis-alignment.

TongueDruid likes this.
  13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I have no idea exactly what you heard, but the Luxman L509X user manual clearly states that when Line Straight is engaged, all tone controls and mode settings (including the Mono activation button on the remote control) are disengaged and cannot be activated until Line Straight is turned off.

My L590 AXII works the same way. You might want to check your settings again, make sure that factory-installed Apheta 3 is wired properly (check the headshell clip connections), and that none of the Apheta 3 mounting screws are hung up on the small lip in the headshell slots, and make sure that your speaker connections (at the 509 and at the speaker terminals) are of matching polarity.

14. Dave Calarco

Gonna have to disagree with you, man. There is no way it is misaligned. It literally can not be. That is the point. I like what I am hearing. I am not sure why you're hung up on telling me I'm wrong.

15. Dave Calarco

I've since realized that my Integra home theatre amp was manipulating / staging the mono signal for movies and not providing a true/pure mono signal. I am now hearing the pure mono signal via the phantom center channel and I was just not used to hearing a true mono signal. I am very happy with the Luxman mono mode. I love how it sounds.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    RhodesSupremacy and Agitater like this.
  16. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Thank you for this factoid! I was playing an old (but clean) Rubber Soul UK mono yesterday and noticed a little distortion during Michelle. Thought maybe just some IGD from previous owners' beat-up styli so I switched the mono switch back to stereo to check the noise floor & realized a very noticeable loss in the top end when back in mono. Like a high-shelf dropped down 1db or so... Also the center image seemed a touch too squeezed together, comparitively.
    I remembered my young kiddo had grabbed the cartridge and basically slammed it down last week(!) but everything looked/sounded fine (THANK GOD) so I never measured/realigned anything.
    I just re-setup the cart (tangency was very, very slightly off) and voilà! No more eq or imaging differences!!! Amended the IGD on that last track a good amount, too...
    So, thanks again :cheers:

I'm assuming a mono-specific cart would help even further with tracking & such but I don't have multiple tonearms on my deck and don't spin mono albums nearly as much as stereo so I probably won't go down the mono cart rte, until I eventually grab a multi-arm 'table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.