Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had the same issue with PLX 1000 but only with MC. Fine with MM. The reloop 7000 uses a lot of parts in common with the PLX 1000. I think he is saying value for money and for DJ use the Reloop is better. Probably not if SQ is priority. Can't argue about his complaints with build and incorrect factory set up as he gives evidence that the later is common. I suggest buyers check all is running spot on and find out the service mode sequence if their sample isn't right (or just return it). Minty PLX 1000 up for sale when the virus emergency eases.

2. dodgerblue

dodgerblue Active Member

Hoping to resuscitate this thread back to life and maybe get some more reviews. I joined the forum today, my first post actually.

Extremely newbish to this world and am currently planning my first real plunge into audio and the MK7, GR and 1500 are all on my radar although leaning towards the 1500 (reason being price and not a DJ) with the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge instead of the Red and keeping Red as a spare. I’d like to hear more feedback and read more experiences.

Rekkerds and PhxJohn like this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

PLX-1000 is a better table than the MK7. The GR would be the one you want if you want to spend more. I've not heard the 1500.

4. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

That is a pretty bold statement. How did you come to that conclusion? I agree with the fact that the SL1200GR is a step up from the MK7. I, and others I'm sure, would like to know how you arrived at your conclusion that the PLX-1000 is "a better table than the MK7". Have you personally owned both? What parameters were used in your evaluation? Please share. Thanks.

highqualityrecords and PhxJohn like this.
  5. dodgerblue

dodgerblue Active Member

Thank you for your thoughts. My impression is the 1500 is very similar in build to the mk7 without the strobe and pitch control and the addition of an autolifter. It comes with an Ortofon Red cartridge, $1199

highqualityrecords and PhxJohn like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You can read my review of the MK7 here:

Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

As for the PLX, I could have purchased two of the for the price of the MK7 and chose not to. Think about that for a minute.

Daicehawk and Daniel Thomas like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Welcome aboard.
    From your list I would easily vote for the GR. And it's not a DJ table.

8. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for the GR...
    The MK7, PLX-1000 and 1500C are probably quite close to each other in performance (I've had a PLX-1000, can't say that for the other two though, but I've had read a fair deal of reviews and viewed specs).
    The GR is definitely in another class; It's not for nothing that Technics calls it part of the "Grand Class" while both the MK7 and 1500C are part of the "Premium Class"; the 1200GR is designed with a different mindset.
    It's also Japanese made versus Malaysian made, not that Malaysian made is particularly bad, it's more about the mindset; Malaysian fits more with mass market products you can find in your local store, while Japanese made is considered to be a bonus nowadays (except for calculators of course :p).

punkmusick likes this.
  9. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've owned both and compared them extensively. I sold the MK7. So while he's thinking about that for a minute I guess he could also think about this for a minute. :)

I have a GR and love it, but sonically the GR, the MK7 and PLX-1000 are all about the same. I just wasn't happy with the build of the MK7 at all. I think the PLX-1000 is a better table but that's just me. Even if it weren't $300 less I would feel that way, but I personally think the MK7 is overpriced. The extra $300 must be for the Technics names, I guess. A name of which the MK7 is not worthy, IMO.

Sterling1 likes this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've owned both, yes.

I still have the PLX-1000, although I use my GR a lot more. The PLX-1000 is an absolutely fantastic table. Pioneer pretty much just ripped off Technics and reverse engineered, so...

I don't think there is anything particularly "bold" about my opinion, but thanks for compliment (?). My "parameters" are sound quality and build quality. Probably no different than anybody else's when evaluating a TT.

Sterling1 and punkmusick like this.
  11. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a needledrop shoot out between the three.

12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've needle dropped the GR, the MK 7, the PLX-1000 and the Denon V12.

I don't think I even saved the files. There just really wasn't any difference that was detectable in 24/96.

mikizee likes this.
  13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

There are also many reports of sloppy tonearms bearings on the PLX-1000.
    Recommended Components: 2018 Edition Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, etc.
    Otherwise, a Class C rating is not bad.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Lets get our facts straight. Pioneer did not reverse engineer anything. Hanpin, a Chinese SL-1200 cloner made yet another version of one of their SL-1200 look-alikes for Pioneer. They have been selling SL1200 look-alikes to anyone who wanted to capitalize on the hole in the market Technics left when it stopped manufacturing the SL1200MK5 and M5G. Looks is about all the reverse engineering they did however. This time they made one for Pioneer with the same POS tonearm they put on a myriad of other turntables for other customers. If they were trying to "reverse engineer" the SL1200, they missed by a country mile. The PLX1000 I had was compared directly to my 1210M5G and I can tell you that both the quality and performance of the PLX1000 is severely lacking in comparison to the real thing. Maybe they have some of the quality control issues under control now. Mine had tonearm issues right out of the box and a noisy drive system (in comparison). Mine went back for a refund. I have also heard numerous others complain about loose tonearm bearings and other build quality issues.

Therein lies the reason for my question/posting. The MK7 has not been out as long and I have not heard any complaints about the tonearm. I have no plans on buying a MK7 (I have two SL1200Gs and an SL-1000 now) so I am relying on other opinions. But if Technics quality and performance has slipped so far in the MK7 as to not be able to keep up with a PLX1000, then this is not good. Your review is quite the indictment on the latest rendition of the real 1200MK series. Sound quality and build quality. So that is extent of the comparative parameters? How exactly did the sound quality compare? So yes, your claim is a bold statement indeed. YMMV

bru87tr and PhxJohn like this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Even after pages and pages of speculation at VinylEngine, it’s not established for certain that the PLX-1000 was made by Hanpin. I will concede your point that Pioneer probably didn’t engineer it, but all I meant was that no matter who manufactured it, it is obviously a Technics rip-off.

Sonically, I think it sounds just a little more open and airy than the MK7, but they were so close I decided to record several tracks in 24/96 through both using a Nagaoka MP-500 and make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me.

What I found was that I was unable to measure a single spec of difference between them. All peaks were exactly the same, so dynamics were a wash. And the frequency charts from both were also the exact same. Flat-out identical.

I should point out that this is the exact same thing I experienced when comparing the PLX-1000 to my GR. In that case I far prefer the build quality of the GR, but sonically I could measure no difference. Listening was about the same. Maybe a slight edge to the PLX.

I might not gush over the PLX-1000 quite like Herb Reichert did in Stereophile, but sonically it surpassed every expectation I had. I think it sounds every bit as good as not just the MK7, but the V12 and the GR. I bought mine about three years ago and thankfully no issues with the bearings on mine. Nor any other issues and I used it quite a bit for about a year. I realize some folks don’t like it for what seem to me like somewhat bizarre reasons and I couldn’t care less. I can only call ‘em as I hear ‘em.

As I said, the MK7 is not worthy of the Technics name. It sounds fine, but feels a bit cheap at a grand. I listen to music only but DJs also have issues with the MK7 which anybody can read about.

I think the PLX-1000 is a far better value unless one wants to throw away $300. Just my 2c.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Sterling1 and The Dragon like this.
  16. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

If only you had a G and SL1000R handy and could record a shootout between all of them - I'd kill to hear that.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thus far I have seen very few legitimate reviews of the MK7 from a home hi-fi/home listening perspective. I may be the only one on this forum that bothered. Most people on here are not going to a buy an MK7 because more popular alternatives are available and audiophile types don't like anything marketed to DJs, which the MK7 is.

In terms of the PLX1000, it is either Hanpin or Ya Horng, likely the former based on teardowns and internal pictures. It has nothing at all to do with a 1200 except for cosmetics and being a direct drive turntable. The motor system design is inferior to Technics' design or any good quartz lock Japanese design from the 70s or 80s. Making something look pretty, weighing it down with pot metal (the heavy cast zinc alloy top plate), and putting a thicker damping fluid in the cue mechanism does not make something a "better" product. Yet many tire-kicker types will be fooled by that sort of thing. No different than if you take two similarly constructed speakers and put some lead weight in the cabinet of one of them. People will proclaim that the heavier speaker is better.

I have had my MK7 for about two months now and put it through heavy use. It gets used several hours a week and often several hours a day. There is nothing wrong with the build quality and it performs superbly. If I didn't like it I would have sent it back.

As for the complaints about the MK7 from one particular DJ channel on YouTube, they are basically unfounded as this character is a hypocrite and wants to promote his own business interests. I addressed this in detail elsewhere in the forum. None of these criticisms, even if they were valid, have anything to do with a home listening/hi-fi use case anyway.

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Did you use the built in photo amp in the Marantz for your comparisons?

19. Oelewapper

Ever opened up your PLX-1000 turntable?
    The looks may be very similar to a 1210MK5 or 1210GR as it has become the standard DJ turntable layout, but on the inside it's significantly different.

20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I've had the Mk7 for a year no issues and still have one more year on the warranty.
    Paying $300 more for a quality tonearm from Technics is cheaper in the long run.
    I have the Denon V12 but the Gemini tonearm is not up to par.

Daicehawk, bru87tr and patient_ot like this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I believe so, yes. I do all of my needle drops through either a Fisher 400C or Marantz PM8006. For comparisons I tend to use the PM8006.

Sterling1 likes this.
  22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Have not had occasion to open it up, but I have seen it opened on YouTube.

Bottom line: It sounds phenomenal. TBH, if forced to pick between it and my GR based PURELY on sound, I might go with the PLX-1000. They are so close it’s hard to be sure it isn’t just my ears playing tricks on me, but something about the PLX-1000 sounds just a little more open and airy, whereas the GR sounds a bit more damped.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had a PLX 1000 and did not have the issues you describe. Actually everything was made above average for a Hanpin clone. The PLX 1000 is much heavier than the Mk7 which means some prefer for DJ work. I heard the GR demonstrated while I had the Pioneer and could not discern a clear difference in sound though it's nicer built and it is a Technics. The 1200G is in another class to the Pioneer and where a clear upgrade in SQ exists as well as design build etc. I'm not sure I would pay the extra for the Mk7 but the build and branding alone would make the GR worth it over the Pioneer if not double the money on pure SQ grounds alone.

The Dragon and Tim1954 like this.
  24. Oelewapper

I don't know how the GR sounds, but that they're come close to eachother doesn't surprise me.
    Do you also use the same phono cables and settings on both tables?
    My PLX-1000 came with a little bit loose tonearm bearings though, which might indicate a less strict quality control, but that was easy to solve.
    I now have a SL-1200G, it has a magnesium tonearm tube and a TD-1000 tonearm damper installed, so that's not a fair comparison.
    At the time I just had my PLX-1000 (sold it not long after I got my 1200G) I also had an SL-1200MK4.
    I found that the PLX-1000 was sound wise ever so slightly better, probably because of the vibration dampening rubber inside the tonearm tube (apparently that's more significant to the sound than the MK4 tonearm being titanium).
    The build quality/feel and vibration damping of the plinth of the MK4 was definitely better though.

Aftermath likes this.
  25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, when I did my comparisons, I actually just switched out the tables themselves. So every single thing other than that was the same. All cables, amp, cartridge, etc.

The bearings thing was a drag to read about. They screwed that up although I presume it has been resolved since. Like you say, it’s a pretty easy fix, but mine had no issues with loose bearings anyway. I assume most people didn’t have that problem but enough did where it became a talking point and that is on Pioneer for not having better QC.