Big time splurge today! 2 packs (100 total) mofi inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Aug 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

...of course yesterday I bought replacement windows for my whole house, so I couldn't go too crazy. Ah, home ownership. I've read the reviews and they are better than the cheap, staticky paper sleeves. Swapping everything out, 1 lp at a time.

2. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’ve been meaning to get a couple to start replacing the torn and tattered sleeves I find in my collection. Then slowly replacing the rest.

Tullman likes this.
  3. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Really like the MoFi inner sleeves, and I've replaced every LP sleeves in my rather small collection (>200). Each new addition gets a new sleeve as well. Although I have kept the originals in the jacket just in case I gift or sell them....highly doubt I would. :)

Just Walking and alan967tiger like this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm slowly replacing my collection with MoFi inner sleeves. There are some albums that come with a mofi similar type sleeves........Need to order a few more packs

5. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Nice purchase and totally worth it. Every one of my records is in a Mofi inner and outer sleeve unless it comes with a similar sleeve inside. Well worth the investment to keep your records safe for a lifetime or more.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I only bought 50 today :cheers:

Just Walking likes this.
  7. WvL

Outer sleeves are the next step in sleeping. I only keep the sleeves with art/writing/etc on them. Not gonna sell my collection

For outer sleeves, do you put the albums in? Do you have the outer sleeve and album opening on the same side? Or do you have to take the album completely out of the outer sleeve 1st?

8. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I keep the records in the cover. Outer sleeve opening on top with the cover sleeve opening on the right side inside of it.

9. WvL

I cheat and get access to the inner sleeve without completely removing the outer sleeve. May not be ideal

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Excellent! Most excelland, indeed! I use those exclusively!
    I just received in a 50 pack of Sleeve City's (9222) Diskeeper Resealable 3 mil Outer LP Sleeves. I use these for The LP's that I keep on the bottom rack of my Salamander Audio Rack. :righton: Using regular outer sleeves, which I also buy from Tom @ Sleeve City, do not work well when they are stored on the Salamander. Lol!!
    Interestingly enough is the fact that not only George Merrill's 'Analog Emporium' is local to me, but; so is Sleeve City & Tube Depot! :wave:

11. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Don't go too crazy about throwing your inners away. Keep the ones that are printed, they add value if you want to sell them later on.

I keep my albums in protective outer sleeves, with the album inside the cover. I only remove them and place them outside the cover when I ship titles that are sold. It protects the cover from seam splits while in transit.

You might want to invest in an RCM (record cleaning machine). All vinyl can use a good cleaning, even new ones. It does make a big difference in sound.

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agree, if your collection is over a few hundred (or growing in any way) a vacuum RCM is one of the best investments you can make. Then you can put clean records inside the new sleeves!

Also good tip not to pitch the old inners.

Just Walking, HiFi Guy and ScramMan2 like this.
  13. WvL

I haven't thrown any away, and certainly not any that are printed in any way. I may be ocd (yes, card carrying), but my record cleaning plan is to get: a kirmuss (for cleaning) and a pro-ject VC vacuum for the rinse and drying stage. I can tell a difference in the static on albums stored in paper sleeves and those stored in a proper sleeve

14. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Just bought 5000 of these myself last night. They were heavily soiled so I got a deal.

15. WvL

I dream of the day where I need 5000 inner sleeves. Some day...

GKH likes this.
  16. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

These sleeves are fantastic. Thanks to someone else’s post on this forum I purchased a pack of 50 for a modest (but growing!) collection and quite aside from the protection they afford your records, they are much easier to get records into, and slip into the outer sleeve, than a lot of what comes with the records when you purchase them.

GKH likes this.
  17. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have used them for years, wouldn't choose anything else now.

GKH likes this.
  18. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Regarding the original sleeves, I keep all of mine inside next to the record in its MoFi sleeve. Then my Sleeve City outer sleeve ties it all together. :righton:

On a side note; all my brand new LP's and preowned LP's are always first cleaned with my Spin Clean, and dried with a waffle weave microfiber.

[​IMG]

So; below is the lower shelf of my rack. In an earlier post of this thread, I mentioned using the Sleeve City resealable outer sleeves for the LP's stored here. For anyone that uses regular outer sleeves for protecting their albums, you know how slick they are! Album jackets slide in and out rather easily. Unless, of course, you have a double LP in there making it a snug fit. With that said; you can see that removing and replacing a record vertically will cause the record sleeve to come out of a regular clear outer sleeve! This is where the resealable outer sleeves come in!! Perfect!!
    Just another thing that makes owning vinyl records such a hobby!!!! Lol!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They won’t if you put them on correctly

GKH likes this.
  20. GKH

GKH Senior Member

What??!!! :confused:
    I want a refund!! :biglaugh:
    I've always been a side loader. I do see your point, though!

21. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

GKH likes this.
  22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

@Glfrancis2: So you're why I can't get my hands on these. Seriously though: good choice. There seems to be a run on these locally and at my normal mail order sources. The only places I have found them online will cost me nearly as much for shipping as the sleeves themselves.

My routine is ultrasonic cleaning, add to Discogs, mofi inner sleeve in the record jacket, jacket with opening to the side in an outer sleeve with the opening facing up. I get 3mil Vinyl Styl brand 12-3/4" x 12-3/4" outer sleeves which fit most gatefolds and 3 record trim-fold sets. I retain any printed or colored inner sleeves and store them in the jacket as well. Mofi equivalent sleeves like Quality Record Pressings sleeves are reused, as are Japanese pressing plastic sleeves. All other plain paper or plastic sleeves go into the trash or the recycle bin depending on the material.

I like mofi sleeve a lot but sometimes no matter what I do, I can't get them to open at the top. I wish the front and back pieces were different heights or had a notched cutout in one piece to make getting them open easier.

WvL likes this.
  23. GKH

GKH Senior Member

:righton:

Here are the outer sleeves that I use from Sleeve City..
    ultimate outer 2.5 pack of 50 outer record sleeves for lp storage.

And, the resealable that I use for vertical storage on my rack (I like it sideways :evil:).

resealable 3 mil outer lp sleeves pack of 50

24. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

GKH likes this.
  25. WvL

The ones that I am running out of are diskkeeper (?) and are difficult to open. The mofi are much easier

GKH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.