Favourite David Lynch film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chronic kebab, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

One thing Herbert fans and Lynch fans generally agree on: Dune didn't work. An ambitious failure but a failure nonetheless.

Wounded Land likes this.
  2. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

My favorite Lynch film would be Dune, which I've loved since I saw in theaters when I was 13. His best is probably Blue Velvet, FWWM, or Mulholland Drive. I've at least liked pretty much everything I've seen by him. Wild at Heart I can take or leave.

3. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Fire Walk With Me.

Bucks, trumpet sounds and Pynchjan like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mulholland Drive
    Blue Velvet
    Wild At Heart

5. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Well-Known Member

This has to be Dune in a blowout! :biglaugh:

1. Mulholland Dr.
    1a. Blue Velvet

6. alexpop

Dvd had dialogue sound issues.

7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think Blue Velvet might be my favorite with Eraserhead a close second. It's an embarrassment of riches to be sure.
    1. Blue Velvet
    2. Eraserhead
    3. Fire Walk with Me
    4. Lost Highway
    5. Mullholland Drive
    6. All those Lynch at work documentaries
    7. The Straight Story
    8. The Elephant Man

I don't think we'll ever know what he intended with Dune - would have been great to see that four hour cut without the narration. I often wonder if all those elements still exist but probably not. I am also not as big a fan of the more improvised movies like Wild at Heart and Lost Empire. As fun as it is to see David get weird for weird's sake, I think his more linear films are stronger. Just me though.

8. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

I voted Blue Velvet because it is the one that instills the most of his style and deeper meanings, others come close but BV has the script, the performances, the music and Lynch's complete control over his vision. The theme of smallown USA with an evil underbelly sums up his art perfectly, innocence dragged down by salacious corrupters. The theme continued with Twin Peaks which is just an extended Blue Velvet sequel.

I saw it the theatres in 1986 and it was perfect, 34 years later is still is. I can remember renting it at a local grocery store which had new release VHS and the cashier remarked it was her favorite movie. I looked at her stunned as she did not seem like a Lynch fan, she said as a kid her favorite was Elizabeth Taylor...d'oh she thought I was renting National Velvet! I thought of Frank Booth and I replied no this is a bit different haha.

9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

One of my favorite Lynch films was not on the list: The Grandmother

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. alexpop

Must admit enjoyed Lost Highway ( how I missed that in 1997 I’ll never know ).

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I so want like Dune every time I watch it. But it never fails...I either get frustrated and turn it off, or endure the pain until the bitter end and just shake my head.

Maybe I should just accept that David Lynch's Dune is one of the worst "big budget" movies ever made. :confused:

12. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

just saw Mulholland Drive yesterday.wow! and i agree ...Watts knocked it out of the park

13. alexpop

Prefer Mulholland Drive to Dune( DL).

14. alexpop

Watched Wild At Heart ❤️ the other day. Laura Dern is h o t in this.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. user119861

user119861 Forum Resident

The Elephant Man, which is also one of my favorite films overall.

16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I voted Lost Highway, mainly for it's perfect ending which is a rarity amongst Lynch's films.
    I love them all, especially Blue Velvet and double especially Twin Peaks the return (episode 8 should have been in the poll).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Fair enough, this thread was started in 2015 and The Return didn't air until 2017.
    Nevermind...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The top two vote-getters, "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Dr.," are my top two, and in that order.

There are 23 votes for "Fire Walk With Me"? How about that?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I hadn't voted yet, as I wanted to watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me as I've recently finished the TV series. I think that'll wind up being my vote.

trumpet sounds and Wounded Land like this.
  19. Drew

Drew Senior Member

"Dune" was the first DL movie I saw in the theaters but it was more because I read the book 6 months before it was released than because of who the director was. "Blue Velvet" is my favorite theatrical release. Television has changed so much in the last 30 years that most people forget how unique and mind blowing "Twin Peaks" was when it first hit TV back in 1990.

20. alexpop

DL?
    When was his last big box office film, The Elephant Man (1980)?

21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Funny this was resurrected recently, I've been on a Lynch kick. My wife and I recently watched Eraserhead, the new Criterion of The Elephant Man, and as we got Showtime in our cable bundle we watched Twin Peaks The Return episode 8 last night. I'm also a third of the way through the book Room to Dream - I read the bio chapter on Dune last night (the book alternates between chapters which read like magazine profiles and Lynch's responses and annotations to them).

I picked Mulholland Drive as my favorite, with The Elephant Man being the only film which competes with that title. I was never a fan of Blue Velvet - but a couple of years ago a local theater had a showing and I could appreciate it more. I still have to see The Straight Story, and I couldn't make it to the end of Inland Empire.

22. The macerator

The macerator Draining the pool.

I love all David Lynch, on any given day I could vote for any one of them, so today it's Wild at Heart.

23. alexpop

Only one choice ?

Mulholland Drive.

Aside..was Robert Forster wearing a wig?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Elephant Man.
    It's been a long time favorite movie of mine.

After that, for the ones Lynch wrote as well as directed, Eraserhead.

Spastica likes this.
  25. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Twin Peaks: The Return is his magnum opus.