Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Lots of good criteron titles available online too..tempted by that Bruce lee box

2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

B&N site shows Springsteen LP Pete Seeger @$17.49 anyone see it?

3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I found a huge section of 50% off vinyl on the Barnes & Noble site, unfortunately there appears to be literally TWO items currently in stock online: Clearance, Music

Tjazz and jlf like this.
  4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I purchased 2 criterion blu-rays on Sunday (the last day of the sale I guess) and many were out of stock online. Now I look today and funny how they're all available at full price suddenly again. :laugh:

puffyrock2 likes this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I went to three stores over the last few days. Two of them only had things I already own or didn’t want. One had a wider selection, including Van Morrison’s The Prophet Speaks, which I picked up.

superstar19 likes this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Took a drive up to the Corona store.
    I would say a large selection of 50% off records....maybe 10% of all vinyl.
    I picked up Flowers In The Dirt by Paul and the Boss's High Hopes for 50% off each.
    They did have two copies of Van Morrison's It's Too Late To Stop Now for 50% off which is a great bargain. If you like that one and are near by you should pick those up.
    Plus they have one last copy of Greenday's "Dookie" colored vinyl of Dookie...a rare pressing which sounds pretty good. I have it already. That one is not on sale though.

black sheriff likes this.
  7. Tjazz

black sheriff and superstar19 like this.
  8. Tjazz

Mike has located this LP. For others interested.
    Bowie Town Center, MD - 3-1-809-1552
    Magnolia Mall, SC - 843-665-2412
    Vanderbilt Sq, Texas 713-465-5616

hutlock, superstar19 and Jspmike like this.
  9. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Barnes & Noble start their Criterion 50% off sale today. Runs until the 30th November. Unfortunately the membership will not stack on top of the 50% this time. They are also having a vinyl weekend starting the 20th where all vinyl is 10% off (membership will stack). Also I have heard that there will be a 30% off cd sale coming either at the end of this month or the beginning of next month.

dee, davers, Davidmk5 and 7 others like this.
  10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

Gotta wonder if B&N even cares that a lot of us are not renewing our annual membership. I know I let mine lapse months ago. As much as I love B&N, their failure to honor the membership discount during the vinyl sales was the last straw. Don't sell me a benefit and change the rules mid-stream.

00Diablo, Jspmike and Davidmk5 like this.
  11. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Unless you buy a lot of books it doesn’t make sense to buy a membership anymore. They don’t even send coupons out anymore. There used to be a 20% off coupon nearly every other week. Heck, they used to let you use coupons during the Criterion sale.

Their prices on CDs/Blu-rays is so high that even with the 10% membership discount it rarely is worth it.

superstar19 and Davidmk5 like this.
  12. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

30 percent off on-line I would hope. Because in-store is pretty-much zeroed out.

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I stopped by my local store today and purchased the new Springsteen LP ($29 after members discount plus, another 10% off my entire purchase) and the latest issue of Mojo.

davers and superstar19 like this.
  14. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I was a fairly regular B&N customer for years, but them changing the terms by not giving the membership 10% off discounts after taking my $25 bucks was it for me as well. I was already annoyed by the high prices and decreasing coupons, but they really couldn’t have found a better way to drive off loyal members if they tried with that borderline illegal, unethical at best, business tactic. Talk about slapping a customer in the face with full purpose and deliberate intent! I still have some gift cards left I need to spend there, but then I’m done for good.

SJP likes this.
  15. davers

davers Forum Resident

It was nice to see a 10% off coupon in my in-box this week; it's been awhile. I picked up the Neil Young "Return To Greendale" on CD which was listed at $19.99 but actually rung up at $21.99. I didn't complain as it still came out around $14 with the e-mail coupon stacked on a 20% discount sticker plus my membership discount.

I also snagged the Replacements "Don't Tell A Soul" on clear vinyl, which was the last colored vinyl I needed from the 2019 Rhino Roctober series.

TheMovieRad and SJP like this.
  16. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Barnes & Noble are starting their 30% off CD sale today. It appears that it is in store only having just checked their website. If your store does not have the CD you are after you can order it to be shipped to your home so that you still get the 30% off price. The membership will stack on top of the 30% (appears to be anything that is 50% off is now excluded from the membership saving). As usual the sale does work on CD box sets - I checked New Order's "Power Corruption & Lies" set and it's working!

Today is the last day of the B&N 50% off Criterion sale. At the store I work in (Clackamas, Oregon) we still have plenty of the newer titles like the Essential Fellini box, Moonstruck and The Irishman. I've had quite a few people come into the store and also phone from out-of-state to avoid paying sales tax. B&N have also been running an online only 50% off sale on Arrow Video titles.

fmfxray373, Shawn, Davidmk5 and 6 others like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Thanks for the update, Jspmike. How long does the 30% off sale last?

Jspmike, davers and dee like this.
  18. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I think it finishes on the 5th (Saturday inclusive). I will double check when I get into work.

dee likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Thanks. I asked at a local B&N which does not sell CDs (vinyl only) and they told me Dec. 5th too.

dee and Jspmike like this.
  20. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I was pleasantly surprised to see that B&N sent me a one-time use 25% off coupon this morning good for in-store or online. The note states that for members the 25% off is on top of their 10% member discount as well.

21. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I was very happy to receive that coupon! I'd be very interested to hear if anybody has any success using it in the 30% off CD sale. Reading the fine print I'm guessing it won't work. There are a couple of Alice In Chains records that we have at our store that I've been after now will be the time to make a purchase!

superstar19 likes this.
  22. davers

davers Forum Resident

My local stacked the 25% coupon on top of the 30% CD sale for a special order home delivery box set (Tangerine Dream - Pilots Of Purple Twilight). Thanks again to Jspmike for the special order tip!

With the additional 10% member discount the box came to just over $100, more than 50% off the $214 starting price. I actually expected them to apply the 25% to a standard LP but this turned out much better.

Meanwhile the 30% CD sale has been a great opportunity to catch up on recent deluxe edition reissues (2 CD + DVD sets in some cases) such as Hendrix, The Band, The Stones, U2, Tears For Fears, etc.

Jspmike and Davidmk5 like this.
  23. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

That's great news!!! The coupon wouldn't stack on top of Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" box when I was ringing up one of my friends (he used it on The White Stripes Greatest Hits record instead!) so it was great that your local did that for you. Having three different emails I was lucky enough to get three different coupons - used it on a couple of vinyls - Alice In Chains "Jar Of Flies" and Smashing Pumpkins "Cyr". Gave the other coupon to my mate!

Shawn and davers like this.
  24. davers

davers Forum Resident

Interesting that the Pink Floyd didn't stack - I'm unsure if the Tangerine Dream box rang up automatically or if the clerk had to do something special. She didn't mention anything so I assumed it was automatic. I was only expecting the 30% discount; no complaints about the bonus stacking!

Jspmike likes this.
  25. Black Elk

Do you have the Hades box? I snagged one when Amazon DE and JPC were selling them for Eur. 65 earlier this year (worked out to about $70 shipped - I went with JPC who packed it properly). JPC still has it for Eur. 69.99:

Tangerine Dream: In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973 - 1979 (16 CDs) – jpc.de

davers and Jspmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.