When can you listen to music at home?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Unfortunately not so often as I'd like. My partner can't stand most of my music , or she's giving me orders and things to do. Sometimes I think I'd like to live alone

bmh5879, YardByrd, SteveM and 14 others like this.
  2. zither

zither Forum Resident

Adam9, Sauli, SteveM and 25 others like this.
  3. Sear

This one is for the singles SHF members. Don't worry, enjoy good things you have

4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Main rig is headphones because I live in an apartment.

So any time I want basically. Rarely do proper listening without headphones now.

5. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I listen to whatever I want, when I want. And so does my partner. We don't share the exact same music tastes, but it doesn't affect what each other listens to at what time.

6. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'm sure you've probably tried to find some middle ground or a band that she enjoys that you can enjoy as well, but if you haven't that might be a good tactic to try. My ex-wife was the same way as your partner, said she hated music. She could have saved a bit of time if she'd have been up front with me on that count, and our first date involved a lengthy stop at a local Tower Records! She bought an IPod for me thinking I'd put all my CD's on it and toss them out...lol. Not that the music issue was our only problem, it went way beyond that. But she was a nurse and worked long hours so I could pretty much listen to whatever I wanted while she was at work.

My wife now is a true partner, she not only enjoys my records and CD's but she actually encourages our music addiction, and supports it. For the time being we're both at home all the time, she works from home and I'm searching for something new. While she's working I try to keep things quiet, but after we listen to something while cooking and dinner, then on the weekends we can listen all day if we don't feel like watching a movie or something else.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

All day and all night.

8. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Only when doing housework. Car is main listening on long daily commute. Sunday morning is the only time when a long leisurely breakfast might see some tunes for accompaniment.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  9. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

After dinner, mostly. That's when we each kind of retreat to our corners. In her corner, mindless boolchit on Bravo TV. In my corner, 5.1 surround and vinyl. We are both good with this!

bmh5879, SteveM, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sear

I can't understand why she doesn't like or have interest in my music.

She never says "oh I love this record you're playing! What is this?"

SteveM, Jarleboy and c-eling like this.
  11. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

whenever my mum, dad and brother are awake or gone form the house, tbh. They might laugh at my Pete Seeger records but generally my family doesn't mind and my brother either has headsphones on and/or play video games just as loudly 99% of the time. However, I must say it was nice to put on a record this afternoon and not worrying if I'm bothering anyone.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My husband is very tolerant of my musical adventurism, so pretty much any time I like. We live in an apartment so nothing gets played late at night.

13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

On the big system-
    Luckily my gal enjoys everything from Front Line Assembly to Enya. It's The Cocteau Twins she despises... So it's only played while she's at work, when our schedules allow for it.
    Casual listening- at my PC, when on the forum.

Floyd Crazy and mark winstanley like this.
  14. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

In headphones all the time.

Also in a car.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Which is fine, many of my friends and family have zero interest in music. Almost a novelty to most. Pastime fun.
    Probably why a good amount of us are here on this forum. If they were all music nuts I wouldn't be here. Maybe... :laugh:

16. Sear

I always wonder who are you, the one on the left or the other one.

I live in an apartment too

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'm the one with the shades.:D
    And the black t-shirt.

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I am fortunate enough to have a house so I get to play tunes in the man cave (although a lot of the time it's on headphones anyway, just for the mobility).

My wife still doesn't understand my fascination with music, 25+ years on. But she hasn't thrown me out yet so I must be doing something right.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Anytime I want. I live by myself, which isn't ideal in many ways, but that's the good thing about it. I don't like using headphone much and I am considerate of my neighbour, so if it's on loud it's during the day and not for long. I don't play it too late either. Or at least not often. My neighbour is spot on.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The music that my darlin' doesn't like comes through headphones or is blasted in the car. If she is out, I turn up the reggae, rockabilly, jazz, punk,...
    Luckily she likes Jimi, Led Zep, ZZ Top, Beatles, Dylan, Kinks, Stones, Bowie, Blues, Funk, Doo wop,...

DTK and Sound of the Suburbs like this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The Mrs loves tv, so weeknights it's tv.
    If our drinking buddies come over Saturday, it is music night, if not, more damn tv.
    Sunday I listen to music all day long... it is my favourite day :)

23. Sear

She just likes David Bowie. And not everything.
    And some Prince.

No punk and metal at all

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In the working days, since I'm studying graphics (started in late Feb this year), I can listen to music only in the late afternoon.
    I have more time for it on weekends, although then I usually sleep till midday time.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  25. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

. Mrs is away and I'm not working remotely "from home" - speakers
    . Mrs is home - headphones
    usually post 18:00 in any case

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.