Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yeah, it might have been an early production run issue, as I bought my PLX-1000 right at the release.
    Maybe it's just like all those complaints about warped Technics platters on the new models, which were an issue at the start of production, but seems to be quite rare now.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I liked my PLX-1000 a lot and when my GR arrived, I remember I liked the PLX better in some aspects (like the cue lever and the start/stop speed).
    Soundwise, the GR had a better soundstage to my ears. I'm aware that this could be because it, in fact, is really a better turntable, or because of some better compatibility with the cartridge, or because when changing cartridges between one and the other I had to realign it (different overhang) and just found a better alignmet with the GR, or because of placebo effect, or whatever. Doesn't really matter, I believe, what was important is that I was happier with the GR. The PLX is still in the family, and working great after about three years. I had loose tonearm bearings but fixed it myself easily.

Sterling1 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

8003 owner here.
    I wouldn't expect you to hear much of a difference using the included phono pre.
    Sweet little amp, but the pre is not resolving enough for these type of comparisons IMO.
    Really need the supporting structure to do these type of things, not to mention the right pressings.

4. Slick Willie

I was under the impression that setting up bearings required special tools and a skill somewhat specializwd skill set.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The 8006 phono pre is on a whole different level from the 8003. It's arguably the best pre-amp they've ever done on the Japan reference line. Two-stage, simply incredible resolution and accuracy.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the results. I measure differences in things all the time using the PM8006. Cartridges, turntables, etc. When there is a difference in the frequencies or dynamics, I capture it easily. I usually go with my ears but sometimes it's very helpful took at what is coming out of the amp.

Feel free to shootout the GR and the PLX-1000 using any phono pre you wish. Assuming all other factors are the same. I don't think you'll be able to find a difference.

Oelewapper likes this.
  6. Slick Willie

In what way are they different? And your source?
    And then, what LP's did you use (details needed) in your comparison?

7. punkmusick

It was just a screw. I followed this review and what other forum members had reported in the PLX-1000 thread:

Gramophone Dreams #3 Follow-Up

8. Slick Willie

I get it, but without proper tools..... :)

9. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

My "source"? As regards the 8003 and 8006 phono stages? You can't google this? The latter has a Class A phono stage and is unique to that amplifier.

It wouldn't matter anyway for the purpose of the topic at hand. The 8003 would show any differences as well. You're reaching here for whatever reasons, but it's nonsense. Any half-decent phono stage would demonstrate tonality differences in two turntables if all other things were the same.

You record one turntable with a Grado Black and one with a Ortofon Red then you'll get major differences that aren't related to the table. You use the same cart for both and leave everything the same aside from the tables and any differences in the tables will be captured. I've done the same thing with the ATLP-7 using the same equipment and it produced slightly different results. Not so the PLX-1000 and GR.

And why would it matter what LPs I used? You think if I record Kind Of Blue and it shows no differences in tonality or dynamics that this would change if I record Sketches Of Spain? Suddenly then the GR would show its superiority? o_O

I get no commission from Pioneer so I'm not trying to "sell" you on anything. If you want to believe that the GR sounds better, that is absolutely your right. I own both. My ears disagree and the recordings I did disagree. I may have even posted my findings somewhere on the forum. I don't remember and this conversation is entering strange territory.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. Slick Willie

Thanks for your response.
    No, it's not about the title used, but about the pressing used. You must know this?
    I have not compared the GR to the PLX, nor will I.
    It's just that I find reviews like yours incomplete with details that I think matter.
    And why strange?
    I have seen your reviews before, it just became a matter digging a bit deeper to see how you arrived at your appraisal as you keep repeating it.
    As of now, I, right or wrong, question your review.

Daicehawk and Antwurp like this.
  11. Oelewapper

When there's only a little bit of play, only the pivot point needs to be tightened. No need to adjust the outer ring where the ballbearings are located, so a small flathead screwdriver will suffice.

If you want to actually remove/replace the stuff, you need to remove the ballbearings along with it.
    This requires grinding away the middle of a flathead screwdriver, turning it in to a fork-ish thing with two prongs/points, I made one using an angle grinder - after a few failures hehe
    Alternatively, I think you can use a spanner screwdriver.
    There are also miniature versions of watch openers that have two prongs and can also be used, once adjusted to the correct diameter.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I'm guessing if I found that the GR sounded superior to the PLX-1000 you wouldn't be "questioning" anything.

The pressing has ZERO to do with it. If two turntables are putting out significantly different audio it's going to be obvious no matter whether you are listening to an Electric Recording Company reissue or a $2 garage sale find.

I've already stated that the build of the GR is vastly superior to the PLX. No comparison. That kind of thing matters to me which why I kept mine. But sonically it offers no advantage over the PLX-1000 of any kind. Feel free to prove otherwise but I won't hold my breath.

I just found the report I offered up about this back in September, 2018. I recorded several LPs as I recall, but here is one. Unless you take the time and effort to produce something equally as interesting I'm done debating this, and couldn't care less whether you question my "review" or not. This is just objective analysis. I have no dog in this race. Even as a proud owner of a GR I would recommend the GR only to those concerned with build. If sound is your primary concern, don't waste a thousand dollars. That buys a lot of records.

[​IMG]

highqualityrecords likes this.
  13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Found another shootout I did with a Nag MP-500.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Slick Willie

Purty!
    OK then, what I'm getting is the PLX is as good SQ wise as the GR in your opinion.
    So...the PLX seems to be the way to go then.
    BTW, the pressing has a lot to do with it.
    Thanks for your time.

Aftermath likes this.
  15. punkmusick

Only needed a small screwdriver.

Oelewapper likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

:biglaugh:

17. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

And that folks, is why I bought the MK7. Im sure the $700 difference in price, will equal out to some killer records.

18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Some question to mk7 owners ... the US version have international voltage or only 120v / 60 Hz?

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

USA models are 120V.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

PLX is not built by Pioneer, they had it OEM made. Technics designed, engineered, and made their turntable. PLX is Pioneer in Name Only.

Hardcore and patient_ot like this.
  21. Slick Willie

Yes, that's common knowledge.

22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It's strange knowing that have a switching power supply, maybe it's only labeled as 120v and european versions labeled universal. But ... i don't want to throw 1k usd in the trash can :laugh:

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If the PSU's rated for 220v, then you're fine. Appears to be a switch mode power supply.

Mike70 likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Even if it has a universal PSU, it might be fused for 120V due to regulations.

Mike70 likes this.
  25. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Turntables: Serious business.

I think it’s when you start using high end carts that you’ll notice differences, well beyond my price range.

The difference between a Mk2 and a G is very subtle using Shure M44-7s. It’s there, but not even close to reflecting the difference in price.