Recommend me some good Stoner Rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! I'm streaming Rip van Winkle from their site right now, I'll be picking this up, like good garage rock, I can listen to this type of stuff (good stoner rock) all day. BTW Mascis sticks to drumming on this album.

CDuniverse shows that people who bought Witch also bought The Sword - Age Of Winters

now I'm checking out their very good stuff at http://www.myspace.com/thesword

2. Doonie

Doonie New Member

There's always the King Of Acid Rock, Ted Nugent.

[​IMG]

3. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Monster Magnet - Spine of God

4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

What is stoners rock? is it rock music being listened to by a stoner? If that's the case everything I listened to from '81 to '03 is stoner rock. I've heard of downer rock (in that case it would be everything I listened to while on heroin)
    pretty much anything sounds better when you're high, next time listen to some free jazz fron the late sixties like Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra or mid seventies Miles Davis. Ted Nugent is stoner rock in spite of himself, like on Marriage On The Rocks' "The Inexhaustible Quest For The Cosmic Cabbage" and mad props to Budgie just for their song titles alnone !

5. oldcuster

oldcuster Forum Resident

I really like Monster Magnet's Spine of God. It's pretty low-fi, but it works for the material.

Also, there's a semi-obscure (and possibly defunct) band called Sgt. Sunshine that made some of the best druggy (but rocking) guitar ear-candy I'd ever heard. If you do some searching on the web, you can probably find some clips.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No way I'm searching back through this thread, so sorry if they've been mentioned, but there can be only one: Grand Funk Railroad. "S/T", "Closer To Home", "Survival", and "E Pluribus Funk". Have one on me, brother.

Glenn coates likes this.
  7. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I'm not sure what stoner rock is, but I like a lot of bands that have been mentioned in this thread.

Hawkwind (and not just the first few years). I like the stuff after Lemmy got kicked out of the band even better than the early years. Give "Electric Tepee" a spin for some great Hawkwind from the nineties!

Monster Magnet have a little bit of a Hawkwind meets Black Sabbath vibe going on at times. I really like the song "Space Lord" from their Powertrip CD.

Trouble was great, too. I lost track of them after "Plastic Green Head" or whatever that album was called. I need to pull out an album and give it a listen.

8. Eric

Eric Member

Stormrider77 likes this.
  9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Unorthodox, from Maryland, had a great CD in 1994 called Balance of Power. they were one of the best from the once-fertile Doom City (Baltimore/DC) scene, but not as good as The Obsessed, another Maryland act whose finest forty-five minutes was unveiled in '94 on Hellhound Records. The Church Within is as good as stoner metal gets, and Wino's been chasing that album ever since. the king bee of the Maryland scene is Bobby Leibling and his Pentagram outfit. they're cool, but the early recordings are far and away their best, IMHO. check out First Daze Here, an outstanding compilation of the cream of the '70s material, released on Relapse in 2002.

barrymcguire likes this.
  10. Eric

Eric Member

I forgot to mention Pentagram, who have been playing the DC area since the mid 70s. Heavy Riffs, a very influential band in the metal underground.

barrymcguire likes this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Boris - Pink, Absolutego or Amplifier Worship
    dot[.] - Stay Smoke Stay Stone
    Melvins - A Senile Animal
    Ocean - Here Where Nothing Grows

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  12. prognosticator

prognosticator New Member

I think a lot of people here don't know what Stoner Rock is, it's not your fave albums you love to listen to stoned, it's not psych, it's not prog, it's not metal.

A recent KILLER stoner album ( don't blame me for the name) is "Open Fire" by Alabama Thunderpussy on the Relapse label - 2007 release.

That one will explain the genre. You DON'T need a joint to listen - the music will stone you!! That's the whole point!!

13. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

"Music to be stoned by": a few of my own personal favorites:

Psychoviolets - Too Little Too Late (sludgy rock)
    Steve Reich - Music for Eighteen Musicians (achingly beautiful minimalist classical)
    Can - Future Days (entire album), 1st half of Tago Mago (the other half will scare you badly) (this is a band everyone should experience at least once)
    The Orb - just about anything (electronic but in a good way)
    1969-1974 Grateful Dead (well, duh)
    A whole lot more but it's time for bed...

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

15. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

Right now I'm listening to the Neil Young at Massey. Sounds like a good description of it.

16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

i used to be into Stoner Rock big time.
    used to post over at stonerrock.com all the time about 5-6 years ago (they've got a store attached if anyone wants to purchase some modern obscure stoner merchandise - highly recommended!).
    but i kinda went off stoner rock, mainly for one simple reason: the best has already been done.
    anyone better than Sabbath? hmm.....no!
    you want space rock? you're not gonna beat Hawkwind or early Monster Magnet.
    you want desert rock? you're certainly not gonna beat Kyuss.
    you want just big dumb riffs? fu manchu.
    there's more doomy stuff, but i was never much into that aspect of the scene - though what i heard of Electric Wizard's stuff was amazing - try and find the song Barbarian. its unbelievable!

take Kyuss - they've spawned a billion imitiation bands who you think are good on first listen, but then later on when you find yourself in that kind of mood you're just gonna listen to Kyuss. why bother with all their clones.

so to conclude, get some Kyuss!

DHamilton, Spinmeout and ramdom like this.
  17. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:) That Melvins album is great! Shame about the compression, but I guess thats expected these days. :( How good are "History of Bad Men" and "Civilized Worm"?!!!

Civilized Worm might just be my favourite Melvins song....:righton:

18. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Kyuss was the one band that generated the whole Stonerrock movement.
    The term was actually invented in 1997 by a record company (Roadrunner) who was about to put out a stoner compilation (Burn on up).

I hadn't listened to their stuff a while yet, but this thread prompted me to listen to their first 'credible' album 'Blues from the red sun' from 1992.
    To this day, it is an amazingly powerful record.
    An absolute and much overlooked rock CLASSIC.
    Unbelievable that the guys in the band (including a young Josh Homme) were only varying in age from 19 to 21.

They went on to do two more masterpieces: 'Sky Valley' and "Circus leaves town'.
    They broke up in late 1995, just as they were about to break through to a larger public.
    A split ep with Josh's new band QOTSA appeared in 1997 on Man's ruin, and has gone long out of print these days.
    There's no doubt in my mind that Kyuss will only enjoy become more legendary through the following years.

Just one thing: avoid their first album 'Wretch'.
    It's a mish-mash of early demo's, in a totally different (punkrock) style.
    A very forgetable piece-of-****, quite the opposite of their later albums.

turnersmemo likes this.
  19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

You have to start with Kyuss, since they're the ones that started the whole movement. I'd also recommend Monster Magnet and Queens of the Stoneage. Masters of Reality are my personal favorites, though most of what they've done really doesn't fit in the stoner rock category.

turnersmemo likes this.
  20. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Electric Wizard Come My Fanatics...
    Goatsnake Trampled Under Hoof
    I don't know if Witchcraft is considered s-r, but their first two albums are great also.

turnersmemo and Sprague Dawley like this.
  21. Toka

Toka Active Member

Lots of good suggestions (well, most of 'em... ;)). Another old-school classic (and one that, like they did with Hawkwind, Monster Magnet ripped off wholesale) is Captain Beyond (first album). Also check out:

The Atomic Bitchwax - S/T (Tee Pee)
    Core - The Hustle Is On (Tee Pee)
    *The guitarist/singer of Core is now in Atomic Bitchwax...but these two earlier albums are the best. I've seen TAB countless times live and they are absolutely amazing, by any standard.

There are a lot of also-ran 'stoner' bands out there now (some mentioned in this thread) that are horribly derivative, but can serve as a good intro I guess. Stonerrock.com is indeed a good place to shop, talk, whatever...I've been a member there for just about 7 years.

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Iron Butterfly - Ball
    Steppenwolf - Monster

23. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

do you use the same name over there too?
    havent really visited it for a couple of years, but i used to go there daily for about 3 years, i guess.

24. Toka

Toka Active Member

Yep...come on back! :wave: Ain't what it used to be but its still worth checking out.

25. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

never! far too much rudeness and sniping on that forum!