Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I visit Atlanta and New York and other big cities and see bigger and better theatres that my hometown has to offer.

But the gap between the movie theatre experience and the home television experience has never been narrower, in my opinion. 4K home TV is more than sufficient quality for me. If you’re a super cinephile or tech geek, I guess you still want to go see a movie on the biggest screen possible. Fair enough. But, when the covid crisis is over, I predict that theatres will be forced to be move to technology like IMAX or to some sort of new and improved 3D projection in order to maintain enough of a technological edge over home TV to entice the average person to leave the comfort of their 4K TV living room to see a movie outside of home.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Making them available really early for PPV, or jumping theatre all together for streaming. This is new for major films. And more incentive for those on the fence to upgrade their home rigs.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just got a Criterion blu ray of War Of The Worlds. Got settled in in front of my 150” screen and learned something I should have learned a long time ago. Leave the phone up stairs! I can get very much immersed in a film at home, but has to be done the way you suggest. Alone or with someone else that is also going to want to be immersed, and leave any possible distractions out of your room. With that, and a large enough screen (or sit close), I think you can be just as immersed.

Regarding War Of The Worlds, the movie companies need to help out a little for home theatre when we support physical product. A 1952 movie, obviously it was recorded in mono and I was fine with the sound. But then I watched a bonus documentary and they showed what they did to improve everything, as Criterion always does. And darn it, they remastered the sound in 5.1 and gave before/after examples. But it didn’t default to that, the default is mono!! How ridiculous. It was a HUGE difference and it would have been great to have experienced it that way, but obviously I wasn’t going to watch it again just to hear the sound. Making menus easy to navigate, and defaulting to the best features, would be helpful and support the home experience better.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's about timing, not a "new way to view films".

I mean, when "Batman" a) came to VHS quicker than the usual window and b) was priced to sell, it wasn't a "new way to view films". It was still VHS - it just altered pricing/timing...

5. Oatsdad

Most old movies with multichannel remixes default to those.

Because Criterion is nominally a videophile company, they default to the theatrical audio, not a modern remix...

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good point. I think most of us can recall getting completely lost in a book and none of my books ever had a screen. A good story is a good story. Whatever the format, keeping outside distractions at bay is the key, not necessarily how you choose to absorb it.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not sure that addresses my point in the least but okay.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yet they put all the time and expense into creating a better sound experience? Sorry, many of your posts seem to argue points for the sake of argument and this one makes zero sense. Over and out.

9. Oatsdad

You complained that the "WotW" Blu-ray defaulted to mono, not 5.1.

I gave the reason why.

How does that not address your point? :confused:

:rolleyes:

"Better sound experience" is in the ear of the beholder.

As noted, Criterion is a company that's supposed to focus on those who want the original experience. Some of us don't even think they should include modern remixes - they should stick with original aspect ratio and original audio.

If they do include a modern remix, it shouldn't be the default. The original audio should be the default, and the remix is a bonus.

You can get mad and call me argumentative if you want, but all I did was explain the rationale...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Can you imagine the sh*tstorm from purists if they made the surround remix the default audio track? :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, no, so I guess they went the safe route which is certainly their perogative. But they do spend a lot of time going through the process and comparing the two. I just figured they would want to make sure people that wanted to hear it would be aware of it before watching the film. It was still an amazing looking film and I really enjoyed it!

12. Oatsdad

It's listed on the back cover. You can see there's an "Audio Options" link on the main menu.

What more are they supposed to do? :confused:

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disney released their quarterly financials today.

Chapek also announced Disney+ subscribers would be able to watch it’s much-anticipated live action film “Mulan” on the platform for $29.99 in the U.S. beginning September 4. Subscribers in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Western Europe will also be able to stream the movie at slightly varied prices, Chapek said. The movie’s original release had been pushed back as theaters were forced to close during the pandemic.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I paid for a month of Disney+ ($7.99) to watch Hamilton. It was well worth it, but I cancelled after watching.

They think Mulan is worth $7.99 + $29.99?? hahahahahaha. No way would I EVER pay $38 to see one movie, let alone on my TV!! Mulan was one I was really looking forward to seeing back when we were all still going out to the movies. Not anymore! That’s crazy.

Juan Matus likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Did you watch anything else on Disney + ? did you binge all the content you wanted to see the first time around?

16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I watched the Mandalorian. There is nothing else on Disney+ I am even remotely interested in.

Deuce66 likes this.
  17. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Yea, and smoke a few cigarettes while your there. That is what I remember about the 60's.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I agree with you, but people do. Somehow a 65" panel display is "theater like", not from where I sit. Personally I have a dedicated theater room with an 8 foot wide front projection screen, and it doesn't beat a good theater. Not the same. (What is better is the sound. )
    As Colin said a few posts back, size matters.

But back to VOD, I don't care how big your home rig is, the PQ will suffer because the stream is compressed. Blu-ray would be far superior and for $20 I'll just wait.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow, that's all you remember? that's scary....

yea, freedom, no snowflakes, no PC Bull**** yes, it was truly great!

budwhite likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

That is pretty shocking news that Disney would release a $200M film like Mulan for online streaming at $29.99 starting next month...

'Mulan' to Premiere on Disney Plus as Streamer Surpasses 60.5 Million Paid Subscribers - Variety

[Disney CEO Bob] Chapek was quick to emphasize on the call with analysts that the “Mulan” release on Disney Plus is a one-time event.

“We’re looking at ‘Mulan’ as a one-off, as opposed to saying there’s some new business windowing model that we’re looking at,” he said.

“We find it very interesting to take a premiere offering to consumers at that $29.99 price and learn from it,” said Chapek, noting that they would study the number of transactions and the number of subscribers generated by the movie.

mikeyt likes this.
  21. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

While someone will certainly pay it, the fact of the matter is that an at-home VOD release means pirated copies at the exact same quality will exist instantly.. and I’d say that at that price point the fact of the matter is that many people, if not the majority, will see it that way

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Well, a top exec told me 15 years ago that within 48 hours of any movie playing in China, it's on the streets as a DVD (even a Blu-ray) the following Monday morning. So they can only protect these films so much. Granted, the quality looks like crap; there's a whole Seinfeld episode about them smuggling a camera into a studio and trying to record a movie off the screen.

A PPV airing can be recorded if you jump through hoops, but it's not something average people can do easily. Sure, you could be like George Costanza and shoot it with your home video camera (or an iPhone), but it's so crappy, why even bother?

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

All it takes is one person to do it right and put it online, the spread will go from there like a virus.

Scotian likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Why is it shocking when they can’t screen it in theatres in the United States? They are releasing it to theatres in other countries around the world that have taken the virus seriously, so it will be pirated at those screenings. They might as well give U.S. viewers a chance to see it legally.

$30 seems like an insane price for a VOD film of Disney dreck, yet it’s still cheaper than taking a family of four to the movies. I can see some households paying that price.

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The average American family isn’t going to torrent a pirated copy of this or any movie. Or get it via whatever method is the current way to pirate movies. Teens know how to do that, but a family with Mom and Dad and two small kids will pay the $29.99 to watch this movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.