Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Are you talking about Price of Fame and/or Chained To a Memory? They're both fantastic!!

Michael likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Disc lengths: 58 | 55 | 79 | 55 | 68 | 61 | 46 | 47 mins.

As explained in the promo text (and the more detailed liner notes) there are concepts in these albums (lyrical, themed, and musical), and that's why Mr. Bare and the compilers made their choices. It's all about Silverstein's storytelling.
    (And rest assured, the number of discs in this set has has nothing to do with the retail price.)

Why would the way this box is structured have any implications on other releases? It's not the start of a new series… unfortunately.

3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]

5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Bear F have Mac Wiseman On Susan's Floor for £52 (in real money) as opposed to £83 this weekend only. Bought it. Barg.

bstone1994, Mr. H, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

This is an excellent set. Mac's RCA material is generally overlooked, but the CONCERT FAVORITES lp was great. His later material is enjoyable as well.

7. Svein Arne

8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Day dreaming out loud; wondering if there would ever be a possibility of reissuing the David Allan Coe two-fer discs as one concise set.

9. Svein Arne

Vintage1976 and baptistbusman like this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found a decent price on the Darby & Tarlton box. They were a somewhat mysterious country-blues duo from the Jimmie Rodgers era set apart by haunting steel guitar work.

Walt, bstone1994, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The wife says no more CDs or LPs for the rest of the year due to a tight budget. I agreed, but told her that there are several items already ordered and those shouldn't count.
    [​IMG]

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Excellent point to make. Once I read on the back of the upcoming Bobby Bare box set posted on the Bear Family site that Vic Anesini and Mark Wilder did the multitrack mixing for the set, it became a must buy for me as well, if it was not already. Vic handled the remastering duties for my Jim Reeves 12 Songs Of Christmas Expanded Edition CD from Real Gone Music last year, and that man is a wizard in the studio. Anything he touches just turns to gold. He and Mark also handled much of the remixing duties for Bear Family's exquisite Roy Orbison box set from many years ago.

13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Get all your orders in now, have them delivered to another address and drip feed them into the CD dungeon as 'all pre-orders, hunny' - sorted.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How about 78 RPMs? She hasn't mentioned those, has she?

Vintage1976 and melstapler like this.
  15. melstapler

Lol! That's a great idea! I'll certainly try it until she catches on. :laugh:

The Killer, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. melstapler

You're right, that's a loophole isn't it? :righton:

RSteven likes this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Apparently the first run of boxes shipped from Bear Family may come with Bobby Bare's signature.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

'Apparently'??
    :waiting:
    or 'Definitely'??
    :angel:

What a tease......

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

That's exactly what it is. Once it's "Definitely" it will surely be announced on the BF site.

(In the current situation it's quite a logistical nightmare to organize)

20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Oh it adds to the suspense anyway.....
    It's kind of neat even 'If' it weren't announced.
    It would make a great surprise to find out you had one of the few signed Bobby sets.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  21. melstapler

[​IMG]
    Western swing legend Merl Lindsay Salathiel was born in 1916 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. In 1937 he formed his first band, the Barnyard Boys and in 1947, formed a larger band and added a female singer, calling the group Merl Lindsay and His Oklahoma Night Riders. Merl was working in California when Bob Wills suggested that he use the name Oklahoma Night Riders. During the 1940s, he owned a ballroom in Compton, California, and broadcast over a four-station radio hookup in Hollywood and Long Beach. Merl also performed with Jimmy Wakely in Western B-movies.
    [​IMG]
    Many famous Western swing musicians performed with Merl's bands over the years. Two of his female singers were Wanda Jackson and Norma Jean. His brother, Doyle Salathiel (1920–1976), played with his bands as well as others, in addition to being a composer who wrote the words for the band's signature song, 'Water Baby Blues.'

We need for Bear Family to issue a definitive CD set compiling the known works of Merl Lindsay. In a world where western swing music is under-represented, even a 2CD set would be a welcome addition to everyone's music library.
    [​IMG]
    Merl with Hank Williams

22. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

That's pretty good. I bought a Dion cd from Real Gone Music(the excellent U.S. label, not the 2nd-rate European company), and he had signed a certain number of those. I wondered how they managed the booklet that he signed, and when it arrived, I had a sealed 2-cd set, and an extra signed cd booklet was included in the shipment. I thought it was excellent. I didn't buy it because of the signature, but I thought it was pretty neat.

The Killer and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  23. Svein Arne

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reader, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  25. Svein Arne

The Killer and melstapler like this.