Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

FP was and is unquestionably Paul's greatest album of the '90s, but I used to see it as a notch down from his best album of the '80s Tug Of War. Now I currently see it as being on the same level as and in some ways betters Tug of War.

P.S. I think it is amazing how many different opinions folks have about Paul's albums. And yet Paul manages to produce one definitive album per decade that are fairly well accepted as his best of the decade:

Paul's best by decade

1970s Band On The Run
    1980s Tug Of War
    1990s Flaming Pie
    2009s Chaos and Creation
    2010s Egypt Station

P.S.S. Each decade has a strong runner up as well.

Penultimate greatest Paul albums by decade

1970s Ram - probably the most contentious battle
    1980s Flowers In The Dirt
    1990s Run Devil Run
    2000s Memory Almost Full
    2010s New

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

The 'blip' on "Souvenir" sounds more like a big 'drip' of water. ;-) Actually, I wonder if the original master has been damaged. Too bad they couldn't have flown in a second from a copy of the master and make it a whole lot less noticeable.

905 likes this.
  3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Agreed. The warps on mine were very minor. The non-fill at the end, even though it's just the last couple seconds was more annoying to me.

4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Smaller: yes, cheaper: no. The audience would be smaller, and therefore the price higher than the past to compensate.

Based on what's available print-wise and disc-wise, I could envision something akin to the originals for: the Russian album, Unplugged, Rushes, Standing Stone, Run Devil Run, Working Classical, Driving Rain, Back in the US/World, Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, Electric Arguments, Good Evening New York, Ocean's Kingdom and Kisses On The Bottom.

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Definitely Run Devil Run! I could totally see that getting the "Classic" book style Archive set. Alternate "live in studio" versions of all the album tracks, 1-2 b-sides I think, probably a couple songs they tried that didn't make the cut + full Cavern Club concert. Would be awesome!

If not an archive set, then at least a color 2LP set or something.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Strongly doubt the lesser albums will see an archive release. Probably just a straight reissue/remaster

Oyster Boy and colindpratt like this.
  7. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

I ordered mine from Amazon.it on June 12th for 173€ and yesterday I received an email stating that it had been shipped and should arrive on Tuesday 11th and to my surprise... it arrived this morning! Only one day from Italy to Spain!

It's such a beautiful set :love:

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While I lean towards not seeing this archived, it is one of my very favorite things Paul has done and would certainly welcome an expanded set.

But having said that, I’d be happy with a 2CD remaster of the whole show and a nice cleaned up Blu Ray just as easily

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, and in the audio documentary, Paul comments that he has created a replica of Ringo's set for when he eventually will have to send it back...

Lewisboogie, theMess and Zongadude like this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

According to some analysis on the other thread the blip actually adds time to the track, leading me to the hope that it could actually be cut out without being overly noticeable, but it's difficult to say without getting into an editor and trying it....... [a project for later]. :magoo:

jacden likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The prices higher than the time before,
    old man asked me why it was more.... ;)

12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i thought it was either 10,000 or 20,000 for all these archive releases...maybe not.

Lewisboogie and The Beave like this.
  13. beetlesonique

beetlesonique Forum Resident

Lucky you! Congratulations. I hope mine will show up eventually as well.

adiba likes this.
  14. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

here as well.....so mad!
    i almost wished i had paid more and had it already from amazon or something, cause this is insane!
    this album is very important to me with memories of my dad and i when i was younger and this issue
    with not getting it is just driving me insane. i was SO excited to get it on time, but now it's just making
    me more and more depressed as time goes on and it still is not shipping out.

i don't think i'll use udiscover ever again after this either. to the people that recommended it, i wonder
    if they got theirs and if people have ever had any other issues with them before, cause this is a terrible
    way to run a business here! don't tell me in my order email that it'll ship out July 31st, and then a full week later, it's still not shipped !!

JeffreyB likes this.
  15. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I erased the blip from the 24 bit file using Audacity, so the track is now a fraction of a second shorter. It doesn't sound as if there's anything missing. The flow is perfect. To my ears anyway.

Too bad you can't edit a vinyl record.

Lewisboogie, jmxw, JeffreyB and 2 others like this.
  16. beetlesonique

beetlesonique Forum Resident

Thanks! Let’s hope for the best.

The total randomness of it all is very strange indeed. Maybe logistics are still affected by COVID after all.

17. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Or a pre-recorded cd!

jacden likes this.
  18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

19. colindpratt

colindpratt Forum Resident

CE #2552 present and accounted for
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Down off the bookcase, it makes a perfect hassock! Damned overpriced box, I’ll keep it under me feet!
    [​IMG]

21. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Here is my best guess on the total quantity pressed of each Archive Release.

If anyone has anything higher, please let me know.

Some of these numbers are based off of the highest #s I've seen some people post and rounding up. Other are just best guesses.

Mc: 15000
    Ram: 12000
    BOTR: 50000
    VM: 20000
    ATSOS: 20000
    WOA: 15000
    McII: 20000
    TOW: 15000
    TOW red: 1000
    POP: 15000
    FITD: 15000
    WL: 15000
    RRS: 15000
    BBB: 3000 (don't remember what the final # was!)
    FP: 10000
    FP super deluxe: 3000

And for S&G's:
    Oobu Joobu Ecology: 3000
    Unplugged first numbered run: ?
    IDK/COTM RSD #'d 7": 5600
    FITD World Tour Pack: ?
    New World Collection: ?

Sargon, theMess, Oyster Boy and 3 others like this.
  22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Anyone else using their Collectors Box as a footstool? .........no though not.

23. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I think that London Town and Back to the Egg, may only be followed by Press and possibly Off the Ground before McCartney brings these editions to a close.

I just can't see anything happening with Broad Street or Driving Rain and the more recent albums are, what they are, more recent and may be deemed not to require a re-visit.

I sincerely hope BTTE is up next. The cd and dvd extras on that release will be fantastic.

24. To me still nothing... only not shipped yet and on delivery on monday... I don’t know...

25. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I would like to see London Town/BTTE & Press/Off The Ground done if only for completion sake for all the main albums up until 2000. Mainly to complete the collection on my shelf haha

JLPMacca and Lewisboogie like this.