Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

threw up a bit in my mouth seeing such a great piece of artwork being treated to poorly....:hurl:

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think we will see a Chaos set in that it was so critically well received and has so many excellent bonus tracks and so much video content that the set just kind of makes itself without much work. 20th anniversary maybe in 2025?

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

That's Off The Ground.
    Different album.

Lewisboogie, theMess, supermd and 4 others like this.
  4. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Guess it's a good thing that your bookscase is only short by two feet. ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    siegel7825 and Peter_R like this.
  5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yup!
    Actually, I got surprised positively by this interviewer. Despite of a few out of context questions, I did enjoy the piece. Quite candid and with a couple of newsbits, which is a plus if you consider Paul McCartney has been talking to the mass media since 1963.

Lewisboogie, theMess and AppleCorp3 like this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Just played the second disc of bonus material on the 2-CD set. Wow, as enjoyable as listening to the album. You see what separates people like PM from other musicians. His raw demos are so good - his vocals, his accompaniment. He's a true genius, it's all there. The arrangements, guest players, etc. just take something already solid and polish it. But you even feel the 'style' in his demos. I love the "Beautiful Night" piano/vocal demo/rough take track. You can hear him playing parts on the piano that wound up in the final version.

7. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Claudio D. Dirani
    R. Hidrolandia, 99
    CEP 02307-210
    São Paulo-SP
    Brazil

:pineapple::winkgrin:

8. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

There's only one other artist that does his demos justice they way Paul has done and we enjoy listening too...

Pete Townshend. :righton:

omikron, jacden and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I've always really enjoyed Flaming Pie. Having said that, it has risen in my estimation over time, in part because with maturity (I'm now about the age Paul was when he recorded it) I can better appreciate the sentiments it conveys. It's certainly my favourite post-Anthology Paul album.

FWIW, my favourites by decade are:

1970s Ram
    1980s Flowers In The Dirt
    1990s Flaming Pie
    2000s Driving Rain
    2010s Egypt Station

with BOTR, Tug of War, Chaos and MAF also in my Top 10 - though ES doesn't quite make it. :)

10. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Received the UDiscover shipment yesterday....Box set #5809 reporting for duty after a slight delay! Packaging was good, all corners fine including the 2 CD version. I will order from them again with those great discounts they offered, even if it came 5 days after release date!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  11. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I think that because Flaming Pie is very Beatlesque, it has stood the test of time better than others recorded in the 80's and 90's and beyond. McCartney clearly wanted to make an album like the old days and wasn't overly influenced by the sound that was around at the time which is what ages albums like Press and Flowers.

12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

No, not even an email since the initial confirm. July 5

susyredstripe and Dreaddazzman like this.
  13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

We’re just busy ridin, sittin in the back seat....
    [​IMG]

14. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Move over Flat Stanley...hello Flaming Pie CE box!

colindpratt likes this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Is this going to be a new meme? Where's your FP Collector's Edition today..?

16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Dropping it off at @Sargon ’s house.

17. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

...OR more appropriately for THIS album, "He'll be in the front, we'll be in the back."
    I'm also impressed to see that the Collector's Edition is SO big, it doesn't need a child booster seat!

18. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

It's kind of crazy to see one single album get such treatment!

Lewisboogie and omikron like this.
  19. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

BBB here 3054

20. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I've heard of buying a second copy to play in the car but this is going too far !

21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Seed trays. Or cots for twins!

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The cds sound best in a 2013 Camry.

Peter_R likes this.
  23. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Broad Street has a lot to offer: there was a book published in 1984 to go with the feature film that goes into how it came about, the casting, the story and the song choices, with lots of photos and concept drawings.
    Expand on it with a look at the promotion, filming of the promo film, remixing the singles, home video release, and a look at Rupert And The Frog Song.
    Top it off with Paul's view of the film today and lots more unseen photos and you'll end up with a solid piece of the McCartney musical narrative.
    • Make the first CD the original release remastered.
    • Make the second CD extra tracks: No More Lonely Nights (demo) • Corridor Music (film version) • The Fool On The Hill (cut from the medley) • Wanderlust (vinyl version) • We All Stand Together (humming version) • Ballroom Dancing (film version) • No Values (film version) • Eleanor Rigby/Eleanor's Dream (vinyl edit) • We Got Married (demo) • Yesterday (busker version) • Lindiana • No More Lonely Nights (extended playout) • I Love This House (original mix) • We All Stand Together • No More Lonely Nights (mole mix).
    • DVD is the behind-the-scenes documentary, promo films, trailer and possibly some cut scenes.
    And then get Disney to put the feature film out on blu-ray to go with it, adding in a commentary track if possible.

Driving Rain likely does not need a revisit in the sound quality, but keep in mind that we're looking at likely 2026 at the earliest… which would be 25 years after, and there's a lot that can be talked about in the period to fill the book: the desire to go back to quick recording, the selection of the band, the photos from the watch that became the original cover, the original intended plan and how 9/11 changed all that, the Concert for New York, the Super Bowl, and the announcement of the tour – plus the making of the promo films, etc.
    • Make the first CD the original album, with less limiting for a fuller sound.
    • Make the second CD include: Vanilla Sky • Little Children • Your Loving Flame (demo) • From A Lover To A Friend (Kahne Remix 2) • Calico Skies (band rehearsal)… and some demos/unreleased cuts (or more NYC performances/Super Bowl "Freedom").
    • Make the DVD include the promo films, etc. plus maybe some live performances.
    The point of these Archives is not to revisit the key ones but rather for Paul to go back and retell his part of the narrative the way he wants. This is Paul's version of the Anthology book, chock full of photos by Linda and augmented with more musical and video material – while still holding back enough for future releases to fill it in. Right now, you have the major parts of the narrative from 1969-1980 in Wingpan (the film) that's filled in from 1971-1976 and then parts of 1979/1980 in the Archive, followed by 1980-1982, part of 1987, 1988-part of 1989, and now 1995-1997 — and that's just the pop albums.

There's still a lot of great things to come from this series. And judging by the critical and fan reaction to each sets, there's definitely a market for them too.

foxylady, Claudio Dirani, cmi and 7 others like this.
  24. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

3LP version people - any problems with warped LPs? After returning two copies of the 2lp maybe i'd have better luck with the 3lp...

25. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Standard deluxe #07318.
    Shipped by MusicValutz and arrived today. (Please keep in mind I'm not far from Toronto, so it's easier for the Posties to deliver from them.)