Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Blu-Ray collection from WB

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I disagree about the racist cartoons being included in an anthology. Unsuspecting people who bought the collection might not want the films in their houses and they’d then raise a fuss.

IMO, the only way they would ever be made available is through a dedicated Warner Archive release – fully disclosing what was being purchased. (And maybe even include some sort of “terms-of-service” click box that wouldn’t allow customers to put the set into their cart until they have signified they fully understand what they are getting.)

Warner Bros. would need to do whatever they could to protect themselves from criticism, and having a quietly-released archive release that forces people to acknowledge they are fully aware of what they are purchasing seems to make the most sense.

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I like your idea about the protection that WB would need to take, especially in today’s climate. Either way, I think they’d face major criticism.

The idea of someone stumbling upon these shorts is also something I’d want to avoid too, especially for kids.. That’s why I suggested a separate disc within the set but I guess you could end up with the same result. Unless you sold the sets with and without the discs, with the qualifications you put forth above, you’ll end up with problems.

Ps - I love your avatar!

longdist01 likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Until that copy ends up on the second hand market.

DaveJ likes this.
  4. Greg Z

Greg Z Forum Resident

1,5,11,13 and 15 are available on the Boomerang channel through Amazon Prime in standard definition
    14 is available on Boomerang through Amazon Prime in HD

SilkHammer likes this.
  5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Here's the part of this that I don't understand:

"Bugs & Daffy: The Wartime Cartoons" was released in 1989. It DID NOT include "Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips," which was conspicuous by its absence in the context of that release.

So THEN, they throw it onto a compilation called "Bugs Bunny By Each Director," as part of a laserdisc set which is later released on VHS. That's why they got in trouble.

Why on Earth wasn't it on the wartime compilation? At least there, it would have been in context!

SilkHammer and longdist01 like this.
  6. MarkTheShark

A number of years ago, several public domain Warner toons showed up on "dollar DVDs" from companies like Digiview and others. These cartoons included "All This And Rabbit Stew," "Jungle Jitters" and "Fresh Hare," among others. They were unrestored but not terrible, they seemed mostly like half-decent 16mm transfers. Some of these included cartoons from other studios like the Paramount Screen Song "Camptown Races," which would have the "I'm offended" industry screaming to High Heaven today.

And those discs provided no context whatsoever. But I don't remember hearing about any backlash -- though on some later releases (they often repeated some cartoons on multiple DVDs) the final scene in "Fresh Hare" had some "blurring."

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  7. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The wartime compilation was primarily a mainstream VHS release. I don’t think MGM/UA really wanted to have a tape on the shelves having Bugs Bunny saying the stuff he does in BBNtN.

As for the cartoon turning up on the LD box, this is what I know:

Years ago, I either read an article or saw Jerry Beck at a classic cartoon film screening, and he expressed something along the lines that when he was compiling the LD set for MGM/UA, the only stipulation was he couldn’t use any of the Censored 11.

He said that because BBNtN wasn’t on the list, he quietly included on the LD set so WB cartoon fans could buy it.

It’s a simple as that. He wasn’t told that it couldn’t be included, so he snuck it on.

And it was out for four years before anyone even noticed.

The first Golden Age of Looney Tunes set was designed solely as a laserdisc release in 1991. It was a full two years later that MGM/UA decided to put it out on VHS, and then two years after that the s*** hit the fan.

So, if MGM/UA had actually tried to recompile a new VHS set for the masses instead of just reissuing a set that had been designed for hardcore fans on a niche format, the big stink likely never would have occurred.

8. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

Maybe they could be released as bonus features to a documentary on racism in American animation.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

“Exhibit A”

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The thing is that cartoonists deal in caricature. Caricature deals in exaggeration of features. That covers the art. The problem is the dialog, which would not be out of place in a minstrel show. Heck, minstrelry itself show up on occasion as it was not that far from the public consciousness.
    And this is coming from a guy whose two uncles toured in a minstrel show in blackface in the 19 oughts.

11. Not Trending

Not Trending Forum Resident

For anyone interested in this, I notice that Amazon has marked this down today to $50 (it's a deal of the day). This is the cheapest price tag that I have come across. (It's almost like you won't have to pay extra for a Funko Pop! :) )

Mister Charlie likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I bought it on the advice from the posters on this thread. Arriving today (god willing).

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I forgot to order this from Amazon when it was on sale. I’ll probably get the iTunes version.
    I did pick up 4 Bugs Bunny collections on iTunes for $4.99 each. 80 toons total for the $20. Says they are in HD now. I watched a few and the colors look good. Dust and speckles are present and at least on one a defect on the bottom like a hair or something that lasts a little bit but then disappears. I also picked up the Daffy Duck HD collection for the same $4.99.
    For both the 80th and the 4 collections I bought the previews were the same for both in the ones I sampled. Don't know if they are the same ones in each set or Warner was just lazy and used the one preview for the 80th and also the individual older collections.

15. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I agree with Colin that it's a very nice set. Hopefully, the Blu-ray discs will be released separately from the gift box set in the very near future. I like the fact that with the 47 of the 60 shorts making their Blu-ray debut, there was a fair number of them I wasn't familiar with. The Funko Pop! Bugs figure, I'll let you decide :)

My web article/review of the Bugs set was published online last night. The link is below.

Happy new year!
    Marshall

"Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection" Blu-ray Review

Mister Charlie likes this.
  16. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Correction - there was exactly one complaint made from an Asian woman to MGM/UA about “Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips”. At that point, they recalled the unsold copies and announced they were withdrawing the film from circulation.

I'd like to see a new Wartime cartoon set from Warner Archives with “Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips” added and a proper disclaimer/explanation at the front.

Derek

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  17. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I own the 3 Looney Tunes Superstars collections as well as the 6 Golden Collections.
    What exactly am I missing from the Platinum collections? I assume there'll be a ridiculous amount of duplication if I buy them.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My review in post 112 lists all the shorts in "80th".

You could use that and compare to what's in the Platinums. I'm not doing ALL that work for you! :D

longdist01 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  19. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Will give it a look, thanks!

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. MarkTheShark

There is indeed a ridiculous amount of duplication. Yes, it's a different format, but still.

Here's some pretty good info on which cartoons have been released where:

https://www.intanibase.com/forum/Po...es-Filmography---Available-on-DVD-and-Blu-Ray

This site also may help:

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide

AppleCorp3 and BwanaBob like this.
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The set is down to $42 on amazon.com currently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.