THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Too bad I can't watch this. It's blocked in Germany. The alert is mentioning Apple Corps Ltd. as copyright holder.

Floater likes this.
  2. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Ringo recalls The Beatles reunion that nearly happened

"If John and George had not died there was surely a possibility of that. Paul and I are still on the road. John would have still been on the road. I don’t know about George. We’d still be doing what we love to do. Maybe separately, maybe together. Nobody knows.

"When we finished Abbey Road I did not walk away thinking that’s the last album. I thought 'we’ll be back in how many months and we’ll do another.’ Between times we did actually break. No one went away thinking ‘That’s it’.

"I didn’t leave the studio thinking that will be the last record we’d ever make. I never thought that. I didn’t think it would be the last time we’d ever tour together either."

3. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Please give me some news...

4. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

The news is: we all have to wait..

Floater likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The news is out, all over town

LFSDoc, BeSteVenn, Floater and 2 others like this.
  6. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

A lucky man made the grade

Vidiot and Floater like this.
  7. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Has this happened yet?

maclen and Floater like this.
  8. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Disney is releasing "Mulan" to Disney+ VOD for $29.99. Can "The Beatles Get Back" be far behind or is it still going to be released theatrically a year from now?

9. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

There are a LOT of interviews between the release of Abbey Road and Paul's April 10 press release that confirm Ringo's comments here. I've been working on a book over the last year about the making of All Things Must Pass and Layla, and the narrative of the breakup as told in these interviews is different than the story I thought I knew all this time.

BeSteVenn, oboogie, RayS and 3 others like this.
  10. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Next year. The problem with Get Back is that Jackson couldn't finish it due to the pandemic. At least that's the information that came up a few days ago.

11. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

So it's still being worked on or is that on hold as well due to the pandemic?

12. A well respected man

“Regarding the film's postponement, Starr explained that since February, Jackson "hasn't been allowed to get into his studio… And it's been put off till next year."

As for whether the planned 50th anniversary reissue of the Let It Be album also will be delayed until 2021, Ringo said, "I would think it's all coming [out] together."

Ringo Starr says Beatles rooftop concert footage in upcoming 'Get Back' documentary is "incredible"  - Music News - ABC News Radio

trumpet sounds and longdist01 like this.
  13. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

One would think a job like that will lend itself quite well to working from home

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I could swear that New Zealand (where Peter Jackson is based) pretty much beat COVID and has almost no infection there now....

100 days without COVID-19: how New Zealand got rid of a virus that keeps spreading across the world

I have been working continuously in post-production and editing here in LA, so it can be done. A lot of it has to be done remotely, but there are ways to get by and do it safely.

budwhite and seacliffe301 like this.
  15. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

They have decided to push the movie to 2021. End of story.

16. A well respected man

Why would Ringo lie about it? What would be the problem in saying the film has been delayed because many cinemas are closed? The very same Disney is releasing Mulan in September in streaming.
    We don't know the nature of the work Jackson was doing. Maybe he needed to shoot interviews and/or resources. Maybe the material he was working with is in London. If they say he hasn't been able to work since February, I believe it.

17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This book sounds right up my street, will you be going into the history of the 'Delaney & Bonnie Band' (as I call them) at all?

Solaris likes this.
  18. Solaris

To some extent, yes, since they play a critical role for both Harrison and Clapton.

jmxw and marmalade166 like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

That’s a very interesting topic. I hope everything turns out well for you.

bhazen, marmalade166 and Solaris like this.
  20. Solaris

Thanks! It's due out next July if all goes according to plan.

BeSteVenn, jmxw, RayS and 4 others like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That would be nice.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Are you lying if you believe what you say when you say it?

I'm telling you that New Zealand is largely open for business, Jim Cameron is back at work shooting and finishing Avatar, and editing/VFX/color/sound facilities can and are still functioning. We've done 15 features at my Hollywood office just since the pandemic started. We're careful and are doing a lot by remote, and we keep client contact to a minimum, but my point is: once the film has been shot, it can be finished. If Jackson didn't finish shooting new segments, that's one thing, but I think he was done with that.

Here's what Wikipedia said:

The intention of the documentary is to provide a new level of insight into the band's dynamics during the album's creation, and is being made with the cooperation of McCartney, Starr, Ono and Olivia Harrison. Clare Olssen and Jabez Olssen, the producer and editor of They Shall Not Grow Old, will reprise their roles for the film, while Ken Kamins, Jeff Jones and Jonathan Clyde will act as executive producers. Jackson's film will be followed by a remastered re-release of Lindsay-Hogg's original film. The new documentary was officially announced in March 2020 with the title The Beatles: Get Back and the theatrical release date was originally set to 4 September 2020.

I think what they want to avoid saying is, "we wanted a worldwide theatrical release to big audiences in theaters so we could maximize the box office, and theater reopenings might be 6-months to a year away." Rather than say that, it's easier to say, "the film isn't finished."

Documentaries are a peculiar kind of project. I've worked on at least 50 or 60 of them, and it's a case where you work and work and work and work... and then you stop and it has to ship. They're never exactly "done," because you could go on tinkering with them for a decade or more. The only thing that really signals the end of a documentary is a delivery date or an air date. I know of three or four documentaries that started shooting 10 years ago that are still not done.

I think many, many studios and distributors are rethinking their strategy: do they release now on Premium-pay-per-view, and try to recoup their expenses now, or do they gamble and wait 6 months, 9 months, a year, or more in hopes that by next summer, theaters will come back? I don't envy them, but the reality is that the potential modern audience for a 50-year-old Beatles documentary is very small, and I don't think the mass audience gives a crap. I'd love to see it (at any cost), but I'm not the mass audience.

numer9, Floater, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Occam's Razor in supply here. The article shared says COVID-19 was beaten by May. The postponement was in June.
    Ringo says in July that Peter Jackson hasn't been into the studio since February. So Ringo's just two months behind. No big deal. Three months of work might be what's needed. May - June - July, leaves only August to finalize everything before the original release date of September, and that's deemed by Disney not enough time compared to February-March-April-May-June-July-August.

The Mulan release date decision wasn't announced to the beginning of this month, just for comparison. As for why the new date is August of 2021, who the hell knows. Both "it's not done" and "we want a release date way out past this COVID thing" can be true.

ODIrony, Vidiot and alexpop like this.
  24. A well respected man

You're assuming he was working in New Zealand, and maybe that's not the case. As I said earlier, maybe the works were being done in London. Maybe he needed to shoot something.

And why would they not want to say they wanted a worldwide theatrical release? Disney has said so about Mulan.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good assimilation thought process.

BeatleJWOL likes this.