Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

without reading the entire thread, sound quality? anyone ever figure out when this stuff was recorded? all previously unreleased?

Ryan Donahue likes this.
  2. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

I haven't directly a/b'ed them to the cuts that have already been released but so far I'm not hearing anything that should put you off. Very enjoyable so far.

Jam757 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

thank you. :)

what labels should i look for that have released officially sanctioned green era stuff? shrine is an official release right? the stuff on castle/sanctuary is too?

Ryan Donahue likes this.
  4. Ryan Donahue

I'll have to defer to others in this thread for that. Never was good at remembering releases based on labels. I am fairly certain Shrine is an official release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

thank you. i just picked up the 3 cd men of the world set on sanctuary. this looks to be most of the vaudeville years and show-biz blues releases combined onto a 3 cd set minus the BBC stuff

6. Ryan Donahue

Great release. I always come back to disc 2. The Madge Session tracks, Oct. Jam 1 & 2, and Blues in Bb Minor. Sublime.

Pali Gap, Jam757, NumberEight and 3 others like this.
  7. October Jam 2 sounds like Nirvana, 20 years before. What a great tune!

Ryan Donahue and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Watch the clip. Mick, John and Jeremy say they were all at the Munich party. Manager Clifford Davies says Danny was there too. I am going by their statements.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks, I've seen it dozens of times......
    No, you got it backwards mate.

What they are talking about is Peter changing as a person and leaving the band, not Peter being damaged by LSD.
    His - very positive by his own account - experience of communal and non-commercial music in Munich, was the tipping point for Peter leaving the band.

Mick and John called it "trauma city", but it wasn't only out of concern for Peter, it was that their own careers risked going down the toilet when their lead singer/songwriter and commercial magnet was leaving them. And for several years it seemed to be the case.

As I have stated (for deaf ears it seems), people who knew Peter personally and intimately say he was in good mental and physical shape and playing great up to 1972. Questioning and searching, but not ill yet.
    It was after that that his health declined. Perhaps drugs triggered it - no one can ever prove it - but he started on LSD in summer 1968 and the trip in Munich was one out of 10 by his own admission, and probably not more important than any of the others. Mind you, Peter's girlfriend said she noticed a negative change in his personality in 1968 and asked him to stay away from it. Munich was the tipping point for Peter Green deciding to leave the band. That's it.

Bolero likes this.
  10. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I agree with everything you have said on why Peter wanted to leave the band, but you also have claimed earlier in the thread that Jeremy, Mick and Danny were not at the party. Jeremy seems to remember it quite vividly. I'm only going by their recollections. Do you have any proof that Clifford Davies is wrong in his statement ? I actually quite enjoyed that documentary on Peter.

11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I am glad DTK is contributing here. that other guy is making claims with absolutely no references: and when called to back any of it up, he is vague and basically unable to supply any hard data.

hey, I talked to Peter Green's roadie too! he told me all kinds of stuff, but I'm not going to tell you his name or qualify any of my statements with actual proof...

it is sad what happened to Peter. We are lucky to have the wealth of music he left us. RIP

ps thanks to everyone who supplied info on these albums, saved me some money from buying a half-assed dodgy release

it's a shame they couldn't source the master tapes and do it justice

Tuck1977 and DTK like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thank you.

Bolero and Tuck1977 like this.
  13. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

actually, I just remembered: recently a comment was made on a youtube video, by the proclaimed son/daughter of one of the German commune members ( apparently the commune is still around? ) stating that the acid spike incident never happened, and all those claims were not true

so take that with whatever grain of salt you want. has about as much merit as Peter Green's roadie, I suppose. but it's more info

14. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Both Amazon.nl (Netherlands) and Amazon.de (Germany) are currently selling the vol. 2 triple LP of "Before The Beginning" at the very reduced price of approx. € 17,99. Yesterday when i ordered it it was only € 14,50 which is a steal. :righton:

P.s.: i'm not a Amazon CEO or marketeer! :wave:

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And it can be had for free since many years on various locations on the internet in better quality if you don't need a piece of plastic. That's clearly the sources they used anyway. Then they did some bad EQ-uing and put in fake applause - genius producers. Someone hand them an award. Or a trip to a remote island they can't get off.

Travelin Man and Tuck1977 like this.
  16. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

This is OT, but I too have just been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. I’ve got blurred/double vision. I have a consult with the surgeon in a few weeks and I cannot wait for this to be over! I have foggy brain and headaches from the time that I get up.

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Late to the party but enjoying the hell out of the 3cd set. Those on the fence, purchase this with confidence!! Great CDs! I’m considering the vinyl although I imagine any sound quality difference may be negligible. RIP the great Peter Green!!

jay.dee, TeddyB and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m most if the way through disc 2 and absolutely loving the set. I’ve ordered vol. 1&2 of the vinyl. So far this to me is more nuanced than the rip your face off Boston show. Some beautiful minimalist Peter Green slow blues. I like how regardless of some of the recording unevenness (and low vocals) the unmistakable Green guitar shines through loud and clear!! Live in Boston is likely still my all-time favorite but this new one is absolutely essential.

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Anyone that owns both the CD and vinyl that can compare them?

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Live Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is an evil wormhole to fall into.

21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

But the official release is missing the best track of all:

22. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this performance is from The Warehouse in New Orleans in 1970.
    If it is from The Warehouse, this is the best sounding version I've heard. Wonder what the source was?

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, great tune! It still doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of what they did release. I don’t actively search out bootlegs so if they never released this I’d likely only maybe hear these tunes on YouTube. It is odd that they would omit that one though, too bad!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Search the boots out if you like The Real Mac.....while I have almost all FM releases.....except the last few.....the essential stuff the real stuff the best stuff is with Peter.....while the other stuff...Welch, Stevie Lindsay is good....it all pales compared to the PG years. Some years ago I got a contact in NO....he sells live shows....I got some cool Dylan and The Band stuff from 74.....I got the 3 shows from The Warehouse.....pretty damn good quality....complete.....I got a Kenny Rogers 3 CD box for free at a local shop....tossed the cds kept cases painted box black....I call it The New Orleans box.....This year I got the first Warehouse show on vinyl...color .....I encourage all you FleetwoodMacphiles to get the boots....any way you can...you wont be sorry!!!!

Jam757 and jay.dee like this.
  25. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

I love these...got CDs of both....and Show Biz on vinyl....and live at BBC vinyl......Vaudeville is supposedly out there on vinyl.....Ive searched for years and wanty it bad to be complete!!!! Both are treasure troves!!!!! Nice thoughts my friend!!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.