Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Recorded back in the 80's?

CMT likes this.
  2. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

Interesting video of Barbirolli rehearsing Bruckner 7 - agonizing over every note - never realized just how pronounced his cockney accent was -

bluemooze and CMT like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Believe it or not, I actually have this box as well but it is still in shrinkwrap. So a one-hit wonder composer has his own box of CD's ...

TonyACT likes this.
  4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

5. Sunburst Finish

bluemooze, canzld and royzak2000 like this.
  6. Sunburst Finish

harvard75, canzld and royzak2000 like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I subscribed to the magazine for about twenty years. Approximately sixty CDs from that time are worth listening to more than once.

8. Sunburst Finish

[​IMG]

Marsalis: Violin Concerto & Fiddle Dance Suite

Nicola Benedetti (violin)

Philadelphia Orchestra, Cristian Măcelaru

Link to complete album -

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mT-z_vCnWMaehCRPNoLvPsHaAvvhzyM30

• Presto Editor's Choice
      July 2019
    • Presto Recordings of the Year
      Finalist 2019
    • Grammy Awards
      62nd Awards (2020)
      Winner - Best Classical Instrumental Solo
    • Grammy Awards
      62nd Awards (2020)
      Nominee - Best Contemporary Classical Composition
    • Opus Klassik Awards
      Nominee - Conductor of the Year
    • Opus Klassik Awards
      Nominee - Instrumentalist of the Year

9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

If I remember correctly he got more praise conducting opera.

11. Sunburst Finish

[​IMG]

Menuhin & Grappelli: Friends in Music

"This 4 CD set containing all the recordings that the two legendary violinists Yehudi Menuhin and Stéphane Grappelli made for EMI is a further release in the EMI Classics ICON series.

The 4 CDs contain 86 songs, many by the great American songwriters George Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin and Cole Porter, as well as jazz standards like ‘Sweet Georgia Brown’, ‘Lullaby of Birdland’ and ‘Crazy Rhythm’. There are also 13 items composed by Grappelli himself, several of which were written specially for Menuhin.

The song ‘I didn’t know what time it was’ by Richard Rodgers on CD 2, recorded in Holland in October 1977, is being released here for the first time.

Arrangements are mostly by Max Harris, but those from the LP called Top Hat are by Nelson Riddle."

Link to complete 4 CD set -

Icon: Menuhin and Grappelli

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"...

There are 86 tunes spread out over the course of these 4 cds...

You can randomly choose any one of the 86 and I guarantee within like 30 seconds you will immediately be able to identify Menuhin from Grappelli... With all respect to Menuhin - who I greatly admire - he just can't swing and he gets consistently outplayed by Grappelli over the course of each of the tracks.

You'll get a pretty good idea of the difference at the 2:10 mark of this video -

bluemooze, canzld and layman like this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have and enjoy that LP!

CMT likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Got my amp back yesterday. Haven't listened to anything until now, and decided to play this Wasowski 2CD-set and see/hear if everything is OK:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, canzld, royzak2000 and 2 others like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Another BBC Music Magazine CD. Includes The Creatures of Prometheus, Op. 43. I have John Lill's ASV 1970s Beethoven sonata cycle (reissued on Brilliant), which doesn't get a lot of attention, but I think it's very good.

[​IMG]

16. broos

broos Senior Member

That took some time, hope the amp plays fantastic again.
    Did they tell you the reason of the mailfunctioning?

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Nope, neither my dealer nor Latham, the importer, could find anything wrong with the amp, although my dealer heard the crackling noise once, as he told me yesterday. Should it occur again, the amp will go straight to Salisbury, UK, where Naim is based. I really hope it won't be necessary, the more so since it will then probably take many months and the upcoming final Brexit may cause additional problems at the border.

bluemooze and layman like this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thank god Lang Lang finally recorded Bach's Goldberg Variations SAID NO ONE EVER!

[​IMG]

19. Sunburst Finish

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Eigenvector, CMT and 5 others like this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A good way to start Sunday morning. Bruno Turner directs the six singers of the Pro Cantione Antiqua, London. Recorded 1978, St. Trudpert. Recording: Dr. B. Bernfeld & P. Casulerras. Technical equipment: Sonart, Milano. It appears that St. Trudpert is a former Benedictine Abbey in the Black Forest of Germany, now occupied by a community of nuns. CD from 1990.

Tony A., bluemooze and canzld like this.
  23. layman

layman Forum Resident

...and I think it's precisely those qualities that make Sinopoli a great opera conductor that inspire his orchestral conducting as well. We have seen the same with other great "opera" conductors like Carlo Maria Giulini, Ricardo Muti, Antonio Pappano, James Levine, Georg Solti and Gustav Mahler.

24. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Bach as a Romantic - how can it miss

bluemooze and Bachtoven like this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Memphis is quite different from the other three largest cities in Tennessee. (Nashville recently passed Memphis to become the largest, both nearing 700,000. Chattanooga & Knoxville are nearing 200,000.) The land there is flat, with Mississippi just to the south & Arkansas just across the big river. You can divide our state into three "divisions", West, Middle & East. Memphis is West, Nashville Middle, Chattanooga & Knoxville East. Memphis in some ways belongs as much to the Delta region of Mississippi & Arkansas as it does to Tennessee.

McLover, TonyACT and bluemooze like this.