Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So Bang Bang has finally caught the JS Bach fever ... :biglaugh:

3. coopmv

IIRC, I read somewhere years ago that Memphis was chosen to be the corporate headquarter and biggest shipping hub for FedEx because it is exactly at the center of the US. I am not sure if that center refers to the geographic center or not ...

4. coopmv

Indeed, the very talented Ms. Petibon @bluemooze has often referred to ... :agree:

How is this recording? I have a few of her recordings but they are all baroque.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Continuing my exploration of 19th century romantic piano works.

6. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Lordy. He plays his own transcription of "The Rite of Spring." I've heard several transcriptions, and it's interesting to hear different solutions to nearly impossible problems. Each transcriber has to decide what to include/omit/transform, and each offers interesting takes. His is certainly full of hair-raising and "How the hell is one person playing all that?" moments. The piece by Ihor Shamo, " Hutsulian Water-Colours," portrays nature and rustic Ukrainian life. It's interesting but not as captivating as the Stravinsky. Very good sound.

[​IMG]

canzld and bluemooze like this.
  9. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

You tell me - here's the link to the complete album - give it a listen -

La Belle Excentrique - YouTube

I always try to provide these label-authorized complete album links when available in the hopes that someone will actually click on it and perhaps discover something of interest.

I enjoy this thread because of the commentary on all manner of subjects - especially that guy that keeps ranting about what a jerk Wolverine of the X-Men is...

The "and Conversation" part is what keeps bringing everyone back otherwise this thread would just be another "World's Largest Collection of Album Covers" thread like "Current Listening" (yes, you TalkClassical)...

Runicen, canzld, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  10. coopmv

My Brahms Symphonies come in the following box ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Carlos B and kiddo4 like this.
  11. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

In the player... the other half of my Dutton delivery from last week:

[​IMG]

canzld, layman and bluemooze like this.
  12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

If any of you are serious about the Kletzki Beethoven cycle, try locating the late 1980s Planeta Agostini CDs with those performances. The Supraphon remaster is no-noised into numbness, the early Agostini discs are not and sound much more potent and natural. So if you care about sonics, get the early CDs or Supraphon LP copies. Avoid the remasters.

layman, 5-String and bluemooze like this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Tape wobble was a fairly common problem in that era. Even big labels like Columbia had the problem on some of their tape machines. For this recording, it likely occurred when they copied the session master onto a second generation tape from which to cut the record.

Sunburst Finish and CMT like this.
  14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

That makes sense, but it seems extraordinary that they would release it that way. As I said, though, that particularly recording (Gershwin) was reissued dozens of times. Perhaps it's only the Sine Qua Non release I have that has that problem? I don't know. Still, I can't imagine why they wouldn't have fixed it or why any label would ever choose to release a recording with obvious tape wobble. Hmmm.....

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: The first Bartók No. 2 I ever became acquainted with.

[​IMG]

16. Sunburst Finish

I thought that this issue sounded more like "wow and flutter" -

"When playing gramophone records, wow is a once-per-revolution pitch variation which could result from warping of the record or from a pressing plate that was not precisely centered.

If the grooves are not centered exactly relative to the spindle hole, the linear velocity of the stylus, instead of dropping gradually as the groove spirals towards the center, varies every revolution to be too high (resulting in a higher pitch) when the stylus is further out, and too low when the stylus is further inwards (resulting in a lower pitch). The more eccentric the positioning, the greater the pitch variation."

Wow (recording) - Wikipedia

My understanding is that "wobble" is a vocal term defined as an overly wide vibrato which thus affects a large variation of pitch... see Callas, Maria.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Sunburst Finish likes this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Thank you for that. Always good to get terminology correct. What I was talking about was not related to the rotation of the disc, though, as far as I can tell, just a periodic variance in the pitch, shall we say, noticeable in sustained notes that seemed to be in the recording rather than caused by something related to the physical disc itself.

crispi and Sunburst Finish like this.
  19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Haitink/Ameling.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze, broos and 5 others like this.
  20. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Call me excited! After multiple tries and three+ months of fighting COVID-associated international shipping issues, I FINALLY got my Scott Ross Bach box. 11 discs, with nearly 3 discs of unreleased material, and all newly remastered by Christophe Hénault at Studio Art & Sound. I already had all the rest separately, but am looking forward to hearing this and seeing how much improvement (or damage) the remastering has wrought.

I'm obliged to attend a family function this afternoon, but will have fun going through all of this tonight and the next few days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Bach-JS-Keyb...ords=scott+ross&qid=1597003046&s=music&sr=1-1

Runicen, bluemooze, canzld and 3 others like this.
  21. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Having caused a cascade of symphonies to drop into my music collection (Karajan Symphony Edition for $45, 2 Jochums — but not the Big Boxes of Eugen parts 1 & 2 — Jochum-Bruckner DG, Haitink-Mahler, Kubelik-Mahler, Kertesz in London and Vienna and — for less than $400 —the 2016 Dvorak box) I am trying to listen to the 1964 Jochum Bruckner and listen for the subjects and separate them from the noodling around that would make Jerry Garcia proud. Now in 4th Movement, 10:18 in, as the development starts in earnest. This stuff requires active listening.
    [​IMG]
    My introduction to classical music was, of course, the 1812 Overture, written by Peter Tchaikovsky to memorialize our victorious War of 1812, with airplanes and all.

Edit: Anton, you could have finished this one about 10 minutes ago.

bluemooze, Sunburst Finish and CMT like this.
  22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, sambamaster and canzld like this.
  23. Sunburst Finish

My apologies - I didn't realize that I hadn't properly done a copy and paste of the relevant reference - this got left off -

A similar problem can occur with tape recorders. The changes in frequency are caused by irregular tape motion during recording or playback. For example, a change in the angular velocity of the capstan, or dragging of the tape within a reel or audio cassette shell. The terms "wow and flutter" are often referred to together, flutter being a higher-rate version of wow.

Scrape flutter—a high frequency flutter of above 1000 Hz—can sometimes occur from the tape vibrating as it passes over a head, as a result of rapidly interacting stretch in the tape and stiction at the head. It adds a roughness to the sound that is not typical of wow and flutter, and damping devices or heavy rollers are sometimes employed on professional tape machines to prevent it. Scrape flutter measurement requires special techniques, often using a 10 kHz tone.

A typical modern cassette recorder may have a wow and flutter specification of 0.08%.

bluemooze and cartologist like this.
  24. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Cool! Obviously, "period" artwork too, the 'period' being late 1960's early 1970's?

I wonder if this title has ever made an appearance on CD? I can't seem to find this one on Discogs.com at all...

CMT likes this.
  25. Sunburst Finish

I just knew you were going to buy that set - virtually non-existent will-power... First it was the Beatles mono set that you overpaid for... then it was the l'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque box that you overpaid for... and now the 2016 Dvorak box... sigh...

and "for less than $400" probably means that you spent 399.99...

and all of it being played on this -

[​IMG]

Runicen, bluemooze and cartologist like this.