Rythmik L12 vs Rythmik FVX12 vs REL HT/1205 subwoofer ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sub, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sub

Sub Active Member Thread Starter

Which one is the fastest, most musical affordable subwoofer that is the most suitable for a space like this? https://i.imgur.com/g0bhMsU.png

Living arrangement :
    625 sq ft Apartment on Ground floor level
    No one is below me (mix of wood and concrete)
    1 Neighbor directly above me on 2nd floor
    1 Neighbor on the side of me (more distant)
    The living room is centered between my bedroom and the stairs to the neighbor's apartment above me

2. Sub

BUMP.

3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

If possible I would look into the Rythmik, but with these drivers: GR Research SW-12-04 paper drivers and put them in a sealed box. Paper cones are lighter and faster than a metal cone and are the way to go if music is a priority IMO,

4. Sub

The L12 has "paper cone with lightweight rubbersurround" whereas the FVX12 has "Metal cone with rubber surround." I have no clue on how to put a SW-12-04 Servo Sub Woofer inside a Rythmik sub. I'm not handy with things like that at all.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

There are plans on Rythmik's site for the GR Research drivers. You can bring them to a local cabinet maker or wood shop as one alternative.

You could also contact Danny at GR Research and ask if he could build the cabinet for you.

6. mled

mled Forum Resident

I have 2 F12s in 300 sq ft semi open living room, very happy with sound. Put 4 IsoAccoustic iso pucks under each sub. No complaints from neighbors, but I’m on the top floor. I have read that the paper cone option on rythmik subs only benefit if you are crossing them over on the higher side, 80khz or above? Give the guys at Rythmik a call or email, they are real pros and probably have had experience with similar customer situations.

beowulf likes this.
  7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Also, the GR Research drivers are used in conjunction with the Rythmik servo amps.

8. Sub

Are the 2 Rythmik subs above more fast and accurate than the REL sub?

9. mled

mled Forum Resident

I don’t know. Like many companies, they give you 30 or 45 days I think to send them back for refund. I kept them.
    I have not compared so can’t really say other than too my ears in my room they sound good to me.
    I’ve never noticed any timing issues if that’s what you mean. I guess they are fast enough for me:). I liked the option of using high level or line level inputs. All adjustments are made manually on the back, so no app needed. There is a popular school of though that 2 subs are better than 1 bigger sub in minimizing room modes and providing consistent response throughout the room.Anyway, I’m very satisfied with the F12s for my purposes.

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have two Rythmik L12s. They're built very well for the price but I find they don't really perform any better than the SVS SB-2000. I wouldn't call them slow but not particularly fast either. I've actually been tempted to try REL T9/is or move up the Rythmik range. I suspect the aluminum-coned F12 Rythmiks are probably faster despite the convention of paper being better in that regard.

11. Sub

For the bolded, I noticed in the store that the SB-2000 sub performed slower than the REL HT-1205 sub, which was faster and more accurate. Is there a reason I should still get the Rythmik L12s over the REL-HT 1205?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is. But I have two Rythmik F12SEs and think they're an excellent sub for both music and HT. One of the F12SEs was bought used and the other was a B-stock unit from Rythmik. I forget what the exact price was but it was a nice savings over A-stock. There was supposed to be scratches on the bottom of the cabinet but couldn't find any. Maybe worth a call to Rythmik to see if they have any B-stock L12s or F12s available. I've never owned an REL sub but have read nothing but very positive reviews of their subs.

The fact that you're looking for a "musical" sub I'd think the L12 would be the better choice as it's a sealed cabinet and at a very affordable price.

Rythmik L12 - sealed HT sub

Looking at The FVX12 it appears to be more geared for home theater use. Not sure if that's what the use will be or if it'll be both music and HT.

Rythmik Audio • 12" servo subwoofer FVX12

The REL HT-1205 also looks to be intended for HT use as with the FVX-12.

HT/1205 - 500 Watt Subwoofer for Home Theater | REL

This might work well for one that is into DIY which I'm not. The GR SW-12-4 with the A370PEQ amplifier with HPF out is $669 from Rythmik without an enclosure. Not sure what an enclosure costs but lets say a decent one would be $150. The total would be $819 not including labor cost or if a DIYer the time to put everything together.

Rythmik Audio 12" Servo subwoofer " GR 12" Custom Installation subwoofer

The Rythmik L12 with a black cabinet is $559. I'm not sure the performance differences between the L12 and the GR SW-12-4 and A370PEQ amplifier. But it seems like the L12 is a great sub for an excellent price. One could get two L12s for a bit more than one DIY GR SW-12-4 with the A370PEQ amplifier.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    beowulf likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I don’t have any worthwhile experience with RELs unfortunately. I think I once heard a pair at a dealer but can’t recall the model. The L12s are definitely unmatched in terms of build quality/price. Where else can one get 55lbs of sub with 300 watts, internal-bracing, and an aluminum basket woofer with dual magnets? Unfortunately it just hasn’t translated to the performance I was expecting. Maybe I’m asking too much of $559 subs (even less when ordering multiple subs).

I didn’t get a chance to compare the SB-2000 and L12 after break-in, and the L12s have definitely improved since then so who knows how they’d fare in a rematch. I believe someone on AVForums did a similar comparison and also concluded that they are more similar than different.

I keep reading about the superior speed of RELs and can’t help but have some buyer’s remorse. I do like that RELs allow speaker-level hookup. If you go the Rythmik route, definitely call them and request a plate amp with speaker-level inputs. Had I done that I might not be in this boat. I might call them and see if I can retrofit mine with better amps because I suspect they’re a bottleneck given the excellent build quality of the cabs and drivers.

14. GarageRat

GarageRat Well-Known Member

RYTHMIK.. REL does not go as low as Rythmik until you go up the chain. The servo helps keep the reaction quick. Check the Rythmik sight for roll off etc .... I was going to buy 12" and went with 15" per their recommendation. Never thought a 15" could play this good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.